6Y9 Fly in- 2016

Dizaster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Diz
Good to know that at least Tim W is coming :)

Again...we host another fly in/ camp out at 6Y9! Labor Day Weekend as always, Saturday being the actual day. Again-- for those of you who keep saying over and over and over, that you'd like to make it up there...well...here we go again. A challenge for you to make that happen.

For the repeaters, we look forward to seeing you all again. We have been able to see some of you during the year and that has been a blast. There's more laughs and good times to be had in Sidnaw, so we hope your plans allow you to return.

As always requested, weather should not be discussed.

6Y9? Not all of us know airport identifiers ya know. :eek:

Sidnaw, MI

In the U.P.

A freakin' great weekend put on by the Fredericks...mostly Diz...Brad and Ed come along for the ride. Come on up, you won't regret it.

Martina and I will also be there and are very much looking forward to it. :D
Well - if we have a plane, as were are currently in the process of selling our 172 and are not sure yet if we find a replacement in time. :(:confused:

Cars work too! Just ask Leslie and Grant. :)

I look forward to seeing you guys again.

Driving a car to a fly-in?!?o_O

We certainly hope that we can FLY to 6Y9... :)

6Y9? Not all of us know airport identifiers ya know. :eek:

You can access airnav right? I think if Diz wrote Prickett-Grooms it would still be a mystery to most. Seriously, it looks like you just joined POA about 9 months ago so I can understand the quizzical nature of you post. Those that have been around here for a while know that 6Y9er is POA's must experience fly in over Labor Day weekend! If you can make it I strongly encourage you. The Frederick Family are fantastic hosts. Brad re-opened the field and his wife Diz does a great job with the weekends festivities. Their son Ed really doesn't do too much but wrangle folks to attend and he is a great guy ;) . Really it is more fun that people should be allowed to have. If its your first time or your 10th time you are treated like old friends. It is a blast and you can camp on field.

Sidnaw, MI

In the U.P.

A freakin' great weekend put on by the Fredericks...mostly Diz...Brad and Ed come along for the ride. Come on up, you won't regret it.

Amen to that brother Tim!

You can access airnav right? I think if Diz wrote Prickett-Grooms it would still be a mystery to most. Seriously, it looks like you just joined POA about 9 months ago so I can understand the quizzical nature of you post. !

Just a suggestion. Didn't feel like looking it up either. But, I did look at Google earth, man that's up there, and looks pretty isolated. Know you probably camp, are there motels nearby? Just a quick look and it looks like Marquette is the closest city maybe.

Last edited:
I just moved my cabin reservation up from a Friday arrival to a Thursday arrival.

Thursday thru Monday!

Whooooooooooooot!

It's been a few years since I've attended...

Wow, I just passed 6Y9 coming from Houghton to KOSH on Wednesday. That's UP there! ;)

There are a couple cabins on the airport or you can camp on the grounds next to your plane. There is a pilots lounge in the old school brad and Diz have been working on in which we have had many a good time. It is a great time to be sure.

I will be arriving in my low flying RV

Tim I plan to also be there late on Thursday and leaving Monday, looking forward to seeing you there.

Martina and I will also be there and are very much looking forward to it. :D
Well - if we have a plane, as were are currently in the process of selling our 172 and are not sure yet if we find a replacement in time. :(:confused:

Did I hear that you two bought a Mooney? Oh the humanity!!!!!!

Did I hear that you two bought a Mooney? Oh the humanity!!!!!!

Yes, Tim. :cool:
Will you also be at 6Y9, it would be great to see you and your wife again. :)

This is our new baby:
Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Interiour.jpg

It's a Mooney M20E (short body, 200 hp), engine has less than 500 hours on it, the previous owner had her painted and the interior replaced in 2012, installed a number of speed mods and also had the panel re-done, including a Garmin 530W, a STEC-30 auto pilot, engine monitor and a fuel monitor.

This should make a very nice travelling machine. :D:cool:

Wow, nice looking Mooney. The interior matches my old Arrow. Have you had her on grass yet? Looking forward to seeing the two of you. Wife is about a 50% chance at this point. She has been talking care of her mother this summer (cancer) but I am hoping she gets to make the trip.

I should be able to make it this year. Borrowing my buddy's 182. Haven't been up since 2013, and am looking forward to some crown and cokes ;-)

Wow, nice looking Mooney. The interior matches my old Arrow. Have you had her on grass yet? [...]

Thank you.
No, we haven't landed her on grass yet. As long as the runway is in a reasonably good condition and the grass is not excessively long, we should however be fine. In Europe, it is actually not uncommon that Mooney's are permanently operated out of grass strips.

Thank you.
No, we haven't landed her on grass yet. As long as the runway is in a reasonably good condition and the grass is not excessively long, we should however be fine. In Europe, it is actually not uncommon that Mooney's are permanently operated out of grass strips.

Brad keeps the field in great shape!

I know Brad takes great care of the field. Unless he beats me to it I will be weed eating the cones on Friday. I know there are some that refuse to take a Mooney into a grass strip and many that have no problem at all. Just curious if Oliver or Martina had broke the new aircraft in on grass yet. Will you be making it this year Adam?

Yes, Tim. :cool:
Will you also be at 6Y9, it would be great to see you and your wife again. :)

This is our new baby:
View attachment 46750

View attachment 46747

View attachment 46748

It's a Mooney M20E (short body, 200 hp), engine has less than 500 hours on it, the previous owner had her painted and the interior replaced in 2012, installed a number of speed mods and also had the panel re-done, including a Garmin 530W, a STEC-30 auto pilot, engine monitor and a fuel monitor.

This should make a very nice travelling machine. :D:cool:

Color me jealous. Little faster and better equipped than mine. Electric gear?

Color me jealous. Little faster and better equipped than mine. Electric gear?

Thank you. :)
She's all manual. I actually flew the first 4 hours of the 5 hours transition training insurance requirement yesterday. Absolutely loved our new bird. 6000 feet, TAS around 140 kts at only 8.5 to 8.9 gph! Very impressed. :D

Thank you. :)
She's all manual. I actually flew the first 4 hours of the 5 hours transition training insurance requirement yesterday. Absolutely loved our new bird. 6000 feet, TAS around 140 kts at only 8.5 to 8.9 gph! Very impressed. :D

Mine trues at at that at 75% power with a wee bit more fuel burn. That Mooney will take good care of you and yours.

If my math is correct we are about 4 weeks out. Who is excited about the trip to Sidnaw?

And it's three weeks now! I can't wait. One of my favorite two weekends of the year!!!

:drool:

Well here we – a little over 2 weeks away from 6Y9 fly in!

Thanks to all those who have pm’d/emailed me. For those who haven’t jumped on the thread yet, but still plan on coming, we also enjoy the surprise arrivals. You know who you are. We would love to have even more surprise arrivals…hint, hint, to the “broken records”.

Look forward to seeing you again Pete…no worries with the Crown Royal bags…they were put to good use last year, and I may have one with your name on it…well...not literally…but you’ll see what I mean at the Hoppy’s party. Same for you Tim W….

If anyone has any lodging questions, email me and I can go over some options way closer than Marquette.

As we offer every year…for those not sure of landing on grass but still want to come, we can make arrangements to make a coordinated run to LNL at Land O Lakes, WI, either by plane or car. We have done this before and it is not an issue to make this work. We just need to know ahead of time.

Also, there is a car rental option that Grant has used if you want to go exploring the beautiful waterfalls, etc. I think it was out of Bruce Crossing (…maybe Ewen). It was a sweet deal if I remember correctly. Not sure if LNL has any options for long term but we can find out if anyone is interested in renting a car for a few days.

Flyer is on our website, (www.sidnaw.org) but for those who don’t want to look it up, tentative schedule is as follows:

THURS arrivals: We punt.

FRIDAY: I have to get everything in order and appreciate those who help out!!! The Sidnaw Station will do food and drink specials for us like they did last year. It’s a great hangout after the remodel and new ownership. Back to the “flight school” for a relaxing evening.

SATURDAY: Lunch starts 11:00am on the field, ends about 3:30 or when food runs out. That afternoon ya’ll relax until we ferry everyone to Hoppy’s Bar for dinner and drinks. Some presentations may be in order…or maybe not…what happens at Hoppy’s stays at Hoppy’s. Then, back to the flight school until the wee hours of the morning, most likely. What happens at the flight school stays at the flight school. Personally this has turned in to an absolute blast for me!

SUNDAY breakfast: The Sidnaw Station has offered to do a simple breakfast, or we can arrange something at the hangout room. It would be nice to know the preferences so I can let Sue (at the Station) know- or so I can plan something. Sunday afternoon and for those staying thru MONDAY- we punt again. We have lots of options as those who are “repeaters” know.

So looking forward to seeing everyone again…Brad and I so enjoy the time spent with you all. Great friendships have been formed from this humble little fly in- memories that we cherish. Thank you in advance to those who have supported us on this journey! See you soon! I'M EXCITED!!!

There's a signup list on the website. I forgot to activate it for this year. Also there's a really difficult trivia question you need to answer to sign up now.

Attendee Link

Last edited:
There's a signup list on the website. I forgot to activate it for this year. Also there's a really difficult trivia question you need to answer to sign up now.

Attendee Link

Yeah, and @German guy and @Skywalker signed up for Saturday and Sunday only.

Huh...???

Are you guys sure you didn't mean Wednesday thru Tuesday?

Lots of waterfalls to discover!

There is a good chance that I will be able to make this. *crosses fingers*

We have to work on Friday and plan to stay Friday night at 6Y3. We haven't decided yet, what to do on Monday - so Saturday to Sunday is the minimum... :) We were considering flying to Apostle Islands either on Sunday or Monday... Unfortunately we don't have any vacation left to do an extended trip at Labor Day weekend. :(

Did we tell you that we did a UP vacation in our first summer after we relocated to the US? Beat most of our colleagues to it. The UP is just gorgeous. :)

We have to work on Friday and plan to stay Friday night at 6Y3. We haven't decided yet, what to do on Monday - so Saturday to Sunday is the minimum... :) We were considering flying to Apostle Islands either on Sunday or Monday... Unfortunately we don't have any vacation left to do an extended trip at Labor Day weekend. :(

Did we tell you that we did a UP vacation in our first summer after we relocated to the US? Beat most of our colleagues to it. The UP is just gorgeous. :)
Looking forward to seeing you again! We were at 6Y3 this past Sunday...it was just gorgeous...again!!!!

Back