6Y9 2009 - Return home and Photo/Video Thread

main.php

I forgot to get a shot of our tile!!

Leslie and I made it back safe and sound. We stopped at Adams County for fuel (thanks for the tip, Kent!), and arrived back at Clow a little after 8PM. We were getting about 135 KTS ground speed at 8,500 and 9,500. We were delayed a little leaving because a reported for the local paper was interviewing a few of us who were left. Hopefully, the GA and the fly-in will get some good press! I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, including some air-to-air that we took of Sharon and Greg's 195 as we flew as a flight of two from Oshkosh, where we met up for lunch on Friday.

As Scott already posted, we finally got a ceiling tile at Hoppy's! I remember asking about that the first year we were there, and being told that they were reserved for special groups. I guess we're finally worthy! (The fact that I gave Jeannie, the hostess, a ride might not have hurt! :))

We had a record number of aircraft there (again!). That include Bruce's Seneca (for the second? time), the 195 (for the first time), the Schweizer helicopter (they were selling rides for the second? time), and a bunch of other beautiful aircraft!

Speaking of the number of aircraft, it was 24 this year. Scott arrived last, so he is now officially Mr. 24! (And if you look carefully in the lower left corner, you can see that the tile is so signed!)

AHHHHHHHHHH!@!!! I need to sign that tile. I'm gonna start walking now so I can make it in time for next year. $(*(&^^&()(*^%$#&

Here's to you USAiways:raspberry::raspberry:

AHHHHHHHHHH!@!!! I need to sign that tile. I'm gonna start walking now so I can make it in time for next year. $(*(&^^&()(*^%$#&
Sorry that tile is only for people who 'make it' to 6Y9 and who used GA! ;)

So sorry you could not come. It was so much better than last year. Why you really missed something special this year. I don't think it could ever be any better. Oh well, ;) ;)

Okay, here's a hi-res shot of the tile, as well as a shot of it in situ...

Attachments

• IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 6y9_tile_ceiling.png
    6y9_tile_ceiling.png
    846.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks, Scott!

I admit I felt a little uncomfortable with both of us converging on the airport from opposite directions, but the altitude callouts were helpful in alleviating any stress. 8 miles apart with you descending made me pretty confident you'd be below me. I admit, though, that I never actually saw you!

And heaven help you if Leslie sees the shot of her in her EAA flannel! All I can say is that it gets pretty cool there at night! She's already complained about the fact that the "locals" start showing up before she's had the chance to make herself "presentable" in the morning!

Fortunately I was able to fill my bag of experience without emptying the bag of luck. The Free Bird was overloaded, and could not make it out of 6Y9. Melissa (Missa) and I decided that if we weren't aloft by midfield we weren't taking off. Two tries later we realized it just wasn't happening. One of the things I love about fly-ins and aviation events is the camaraderie. Melissa was able to hop out of the Cherokee and get a lift from Clark (Dakota Driver) from his meticulous Dakota. We met up at Sawyer field about 60nm to the east and a planned fuel stop just as I finished pumping gas. Melissa and I both packed our cameras, so we couldn't show you any shots of the beautiful scenery we encountered as we flew over the straights of Mackinac.

Huge thanks to the Fredericks for their outstanding hospitality. Melissa was an wonderful copilot and helped a great deal, i imagine she is driving back to Pennsylvania as I write this. We had a beautiful flight, and I even greased the night landing at the end, something I often fail to do. Of course, it's good to be home, and I don't even have to mow the lawn because of all the rain.

Sounds like y'all made a good call there. Glad that you managed to make it out of there and home safely! Sorry again that I wasn't able to make it, but glad it worked out for you two.

I admit I felt a little uncomfortable with both of us converging on the airport from opposite directions, but the altitude callouts were helpful in alleviating any stress. 8 miles apart with you descending made me pretty confident you'd be below me. I admit, though, that I never actually saw you!
I never saw you either, but with you saying that you were at 3k and I was getting below you, I too felt it was not going to be a problem. I did see the aircraft and the helo leave to the east. I was actually more concerned with being some NORDO ultralights about. I don't know if you recall that during the 1st 6Y9 flyin I got cut off by an ultralight as I was on final. I went around but did not get set up very well and was a little fast which necessitated another go around. But that was back when the runway was much shorter.

But what was truly disturbing about 6Y9 is that there were at least two ketchup on hotdog users on the field! I know I for one was very uncomfortable knowing that "those people" would be allowed in Sidnaw ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like y'all made a good call there. Glad that you managed to make it out of there and home safely! Sorry again that I wasn't able to make it, but glad it worked out for you two.

No worries, the Free Bird is safely back in its secret lair. You were of course missed, Ted.

We stopped at Adams County for fuel (thanks for the tip, Kent!)

You're welcome! That's a nice little field, isn't it? :)

I really enjoyed the weekend! :yes: I had quite the ordeal to even make it - I was trying to get home the entire freakin' week, and still ended up in Iowa on Thursday night instead of at home. But, after driving from Oxford to Cedar Rapids to Sparta to Madison and getting a family member to deliver some stuff to me at the airport, I managed to go from being in the truck to being in the airplane in about 15-20 minutes; Pete and I got up there well before moonset and set up our tents. :D

There was plenty of flying to be done this weekend. I got three rides - First was my first helicopter ride, which was interesting. I'd like to get an intro flight and try flying one myself. Second was my 2nd flight in Dr. Bruce's Seneca, in which I realized that I'm still afraid to touch the throttle quadrant on such a fine bird because I don't want to overboost it. :eek: Third was on Sunday, when Ed flew me down to LNL on his fuel run and let me fly his beautiful PA24-250 almost the whole way, including the landing. Man, that's a sweet bird! Now, I need to go get a subscription to Spike's Airplane Finding Service. :yes:

I also gave a few rides. First was to a lady who apparently has been trying to get an airplane ride for a couple of years now. She had never been in an airplane of any sort, so I gave her the full ground-pounder briefing which includes an explanation of how and why airplanes turn. (I do this because I had one first-time pax who was afraid she was going to fall out of the airplane when I banked.) She really enjoyed it, but said "it feels like we're going so slow!" She didn't seem to mind the turbulence down low at all, and so I asked "Do you like roller coasters?" She gave an enthusiastic yes, so I said I could show her how fast we were going with a runway inspection pass, which she had seen a few of already but not from inside the airplane. After explaining what was involved and what it would feel like and leaving the decision of whether to do it up to her, we ended up doing it and she loved it! After the flight she had a big grin and thanked me profusely. She was a great passenger.

Second, I gave a ride to a kid who is 13 years old and seems to be in love with airplanes. He really "gets it" and I would be surprised if he doesn't become a pilot. I let him fly for a little bit, and mentioned that he can solo a glider at 14... Hopefully he finds his way to a flight school sooner rather than later. We did a low pass and he really enjoyed the extra G's in the pull-up, so I pushed it over to near zero G at the top. After the flight, he told at least a dozen people how much he liked that maneuver. I wish I could remember what he called it, he gave it a name!

Finally, the helicopter pilot's wife, Julie, told me how much she enjoyed watching those low passes. I still didn't have the aviating itch completely scratched for the day, so I offered her a ride too. We took off with the sun low in the western sky and flew around enjoying the smooth air and the scenery bathed in the orange of the setting sun. I did one more deer-clearing approach and then managed my best touchdown of the night. Unfortunately the particular speed and spot I touched down resulted in being somewhat out of phase with the bumps on the runway - I got launched by the first one just far enough to hit the upslope on the second one which bounced me into the upslope on the third one, etc... But I just kept the nose pointed high in the air and held the nosewheel off until it couldn't stay up any more, which was well after the bumps. I didn't need to use the brakes at all, though, and it would have been a near-perfect landing on a near-flat runway so I was quite happy with that for my last landing of the day. :yes: Julie had lots of fun too - So much so, in fact, that her husband Don who hasn't been in a fixed-wing in 10 years asked if he could have a ride the next morning. :D Unfortunately, they left before we were done with breakfast, so I'll have to give that ride another time.

The rest of the weekend... Well, I'll get to that later. :yes:

:( :(

BTW, that field truly is huge now. Its a far cry from the what, 1600ft we had to use in 6Y9 Year 1.

So Kent gave a ride to the lady in red and to Demon... err... Dameon? ;)

Not home yet, just checking in from Minneapolis. Picking up my Vetern's Airlift pax tomorrow for the flight to Manhattan, KS and then on to FTG.

It was quite a weekend with all the folks around and my first experience on turf. I sorta figgered the t-Dak would do OK but now I know a little bit more about the extra margin required.

Thanks for the coffee Barb, thanks for all the work Brad, Diz, Ed, it was good to meet everyone: Liz (I want a ride in the sooooper yankee some time with the canopy back), Grant & Leslie, Sharon & Greg, Felix, Pete, Kent, Mike, Melissa, Chris & Rachel, and everyone else. Please forgive me for not including everyone I met. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm a bit sunburned but properly rehydrated. Off to find food. See you folks again some time. - DD

Last edited:
But what was truly disturbing about 6Y9 is that there were at least two ketchup on hotdog users on the field! I know I for one was very uncomfortable knowing that "those people" would be allowed in Sidnaw ;)

It's the U.P., we put ketchup on everything! Get over it!!!:raspberry: :D
Ketchup is one of the four basic food groups: Beer, Ketchup, Chocolate and Beer!

Barb

The Sooper Yooper Yankee and I got in JUST ahead of an intense little storm late this afternoon. Could have been a little exciting, but the timing was perfect.

I had The Best time this weekend. A perfect holiday of flying and friends - I enjoyed meeting every single one of you.

Brad, Diz, and Ed - thank you for everything. Your airport, hospitality, and enthusiasm are absolutely delightful. :cheerswine:

Barb - thank you for the water and camaraderie; you're a hoot!.

Clark - thank you for breakfast and beverages; delicious! BTW - I took off out of Cheboygan with the canopy open - blue skies, cool gentle breeze, Lake Huron off the port wing. You would have loved it. (And, yes, you're on for a ride.)

Here's our picture contribution from 6Y9.

Attachments

• P9041128.JPG
    P9041128.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • P9041127.JPG
    P9041127.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • P9051145.JPG
    P9051145.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • P9051147.JPG
    P9051147.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • P9051148.JPG
    P9051148.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • P9051146.JPG
    P9051146.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • P9051166.JPG
    P9051166.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • P9051163.JPG
    P9051163.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • P9051158.JPG
    P9051158.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • P9051155.JPG
    P9051155.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • P9051167.JPG
    P9051167.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • P9051170.JPG
    P9051170.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • P9051175.JPG
    P9051175.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • P9051181.JPG
    P9051181.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • P9051186.JPG
    P9051186.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P9051188.JPG
    P9051188.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P9051190.JPG
    P9051190.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P9051195.JPG
    P9051195.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P9061211.JPG
    P9061211.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • P9061203.JPG
    P9061203.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • P9051199.JPG
    P9051199.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • P9051202.JPG
    P9051202.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • P9061227.JPG
    P9061227.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • P9061215.JPG
    P9061215.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • P9051198.JPG
    P9051198.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Made it out there for the Day Saturday with a friend. Ate lunch and sat around for a while. On the way out we back I stopped at Land O' Lake for fuel. Sad I was not able to partake in the Hoppys run but we told our wifes we would be back before dark. We landed at 8PM thats not to dark is it?
Next year I will have to stay for the night and enjoy the company a little longer.

Well, I check the thread and I'm not the last home as Clark still hasn't made it. I got in about an hour ago. I'm too tired to post much today but the weekend was exactally what the doctor ordered.

Before I hit bed I will give a BIG THANK YOU! To Brad, Diz and Ed what a wonderful fly in. I will make every effort to make it back. I did promise to bring the Rans up when it's done to show it to the nice gentalman who gave me my first ride in a Rans so I have to come back.

More details after work tomorrow.

Missa

Okay, I've finally started going through mine. I'll try to provide captions later.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_3260.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3269.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    996.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3286_RR.jpg
    IMG_3286_RR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    952.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    855.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3327.JPG
    IMG_3327.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Before I hit bed I will give a BIG THANK YOU! To Brad, Diz and Ed what a wonderful fly in. I will make every effort to make it back. I did promise to bring the Rans up when it's done to show it to the nice gentalman who gave me my first ride in a Rans so I have to come back.

Hmm... I wonder what the owner of the Rans will have to say about that...

Nope - I tried to chop her up with Dr. Bruce's left prop. ;)

Is there a procedure for that in the POH? ;)

There was a kid last year who apparently took lessons from the lady in red, and went around asking everyone for airplane rides, claiming he'd never had one before (this wasn't his first year doing it). I was one of the people who gave him a ride. Kid seemed to have interest and was good enough, but I was later told that's what he does every year. ;)

There was a kid last year who apparently took lessons from the lady in red, and went around asking everyone for airplane rides, claiming he'd never had one before (this wasn't his first year doing it). I was one of the people who gave him a ride. Kid seemed to have interest and was good enough, but I was later told that's what he does every year. ;)
I think I know the kids you're talking about. They show up starting on Friday, and actually spend some time with us sitting around. They've gotten less annoying over the years. They don't seem to say that they haven't been up, but rather that they haven't been up in you particular plane.

Okay, I've finally started going through mine. I'll try to provide captions later.

Wow Grant, that has to be one of the best pictures of me I've seen in a while... if this one isn't full size will you email it to me? (the one with Diz)

There are several great pictures you have there. The one of Pete is very good and the air to air of the 190 is frame worthy.

Last edited:
Hmm... I wonder what the owner of the Rans will have to say about that...

I told the guy I would have to ask the owner if I could bring it but I would try. :raspberry:

I think maybe when we have it done, Rick and I can take the Rans and just send the camping gear with you. :yes:

I also told him how nice the Rans Flys and that airplane night was going to have to start being Tuesday AND Thursday. :cool2:

I think maybe when we have it done, Rick and I can take the Rans and just send the camping gear with you. :yes:

Hmm... so is the camping gear paying for its share of the AvGas? ;)

Wow Grant, that has to be one of the best pictures of me I've seen in a while... if this one isn't full size will you email it to me? (the one with Diz)

There are several great pictures you have there. The one of Pete is very good and the air to air of the 190 is frame worthy.
Sent.

The one with Pete is him sitting in front of an event that apparently shouldn't have happened, at least not where it did (Sorry, Brad!)

Sent.

The one with Pete is him sitting in front of an event that apparently shouldn't have happened, at least not where it did (Sorry, Brad!)

Lol Grant. This is a pretty good photo BTW. Again many thanks to Diz, Brad, Ed, Jeannie at Hoppe's, and everyone else that set up this awesome event again this year.

Maybe we should take up a collection for some grass seed for brad :D

Back