6Y9 2009 - Return home and Photo/Video Thread

Is there a procedure for that in the POH? ;)

There was a kid last year who apparently took lessons from the lady in red, and went around asking everyone for airplane rides, claiming he'd never had one before (this wasn't his first year doing it). I was one of the people who gave him a ride. Kid seemed to have interest and was good enough, but I was later told that's what he does every year. ;)

I think I know the kids you're talking about. They show up starting on Friday, and actually spend some time with us sitting around. They've gotten less annoying over the years. They don't seem to say that they haven't been up, but rather that they haven't been up in you particular plane.

Yeah, those guys were on everyone's heels from day one. It has been interesting to watch them 'grow up' over the past few years. The older one has to be pushing 15 or better now, but they have gotten much easier to handle as they have gotten older. This year, as Grant mentioned, they spent a lot of time just sitting around shooting the bull with everyone.

6Y9 is indeed one large (growing) family!

Yeah, those guys were on everyone's heels from day one. It has been interesting to watch them 'grow up' over the past few years. The older one has to be pushing 15 or better now, but they have gotten much easier to handle as they have gotten older. This year, as Grant mentioned, they spent a lot of time just sitting around shooting the bull with everyone.

Good that they're getting easier as they're getting older. One of these days we'll whip them into shape. ;)

6Y9 is indeed one large (growing) family!

That's for sure! Next year I hope to be able to make the family reunion!

Good that they're getting easier as they're getting older. One of these days we'll whip them into shape. ;)

That's for sure! Next year I hope to be able to make the family reunion!

As penance for bailing this year and causing Adam much grief, next year you get to sleep in the swamp.

As penance for bailing this year and causing Adam much grief, next year you get to sleep in the swamp.

But the puppies are SO CUTE!!! ;)

600_10579896.jpeg

Hey on that note, did someone pick up the kennels that Scott brought up?

Ed's going to try to get them to Ted, because they'll be seeing each other pretty soon. Michael just did not have room for them, so Missa couldn't take them. Hopefully, Ed will.

Yah, we were full to the brim, and couldn't even take off without shedding some weight. Sorry. I hope they can get to the Dog Pilot in a timely fashion.

singular kennel, I brought one. Grant and Leslie brought the other

Ed's going to try to get them to Ted, because they'll be seeing each other pretty soon. Michael just did not have room for them, so Missa couldn't take them. Hopefully, Ed will.
:thumbsup:

I *think* the back up plan is if Ed cannot fit them Diz will drive them out of the UP.

I *think* the back up plan is if Ed cannot fit them Diz will drive them out of the UP.
Yes, but if he can't fit them, he's still left with the question of how to get them from Grand Rapids to PA.

make him sleep in the dog house.... ;)

I already do! As has been commented on by my dogsitter due to my frequent departures from the state, "Ted, you sure have a nice house for your dog to live in."

Here are some of the my pictures from the ride up and at the field.

1. If you fly low and slow, you see things on the ground.
2. I do get higher than the clouds occasionally.
3. Although the tops of the clouds were only about 300ft AGL
4. The Mackinaw Bridge
5 & 6. Lake Superior Shoreline by Grand Marais, MI
7. The Miners Castle at Pictured Rocks Munising MI
8. Grand Island at Munising
9. Sidnaw is NOT the only place there is a gap in the trees. See, Here's one!
10-14. Saturday morning Sunrise at Sidnaw
15. Monday stragglers,(back to front) Clark and his Turbo Dakota, Liz and the Soooper Yoooper Yankee, and me(well actually just my plane).

Attachments

• 2009 Sidnaw VFR On Top.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw VFR On Top.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2009 Sidnaw Low Tops.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Low Tops.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2009 Sidnaw Mackinaw Bridge.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Mackinaw Bridge.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2009 Sidnaw Deer.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Deer.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 2009 Sidnaw Superior Lighthouse.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Superior Lighthouse.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2009 Sidnaw Superior Shoreline.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Superior Shoreline.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2009 Sidnaw Miners Castle.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Miners Castle.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2009 Sidnaw Grand Island.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Grand Island.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2009 Sidnaw Opening in Trees.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Opening in Trees.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 2009 Sidnaw Saturday AM 1.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Saturday AM 1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 1.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 2.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 3.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Saturday Sunrise 3.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2009 Sidnaw Stragglers.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Stragglers.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2009 Sidnaw Saturday AM 2.jpg
    2009 Sidnaw Saturday AM 2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 17
Barb, Number 12 is a POTW! Just be sure you don't submit it when all the others are submitting theirs! :)

Well I made it back to FTG and t-Dak is in the hangar. I'm beat.

Take a look at HRF89V on flightaware for a small taste of the STP to MHK trip. The kink in the flight path involved a conversation with Omaha Approach where the controller mentioned he'd just vectored a Lear around a cell at my twelve o'clock. It was an interesting trip to say the least. Getting into MHK was bumpy, gusty and not much fun for my passenger. Getting back out again was bumpy, gusty and not much fun for me. I did manage to wash the aircraft so I guess it was a two-fer.

Denver wasn't much better than MHK with sigmets to the left and right and a storm in front. The one in front I dodged by a couple miles and then watched it go from green to red on the xm in about fifteen minutes. Important note to self: if the top is popping and it looks like there may be a bit of virga, turn now.

Hayden-half is not happy with the dry air...

I have the solution to get Ted to come next year.
I'm going to take up a collection of puppies next year, put about 50 of them in the pilot shack as hostages ,and Ted will have to come save them.
If he doesn't we'll have hush puppies on the grill (a U.P. favorite) as a side with the burgers.
Ted ,now are you coming?:ihih:
I know, I'm:loco:

Brad, if you organize a rescue flight out of Michigan (not one our standard locations, but hey, we aren't limited to any one place), then that would definitely get me there. :)

Better might be having a rescue flight TO Michigan! I'll arrive with 10 beautiful examples for the Sidnaw animal shelter. ;)

Brad, if you organize a rescue flight out of Michigan (not one our standard locations, but hey, we aren't limited to any one place), then that would definitely get me there. :)

Better might be having a rescue flight TO Michigan! I'll arrive with 10 beautiful examples for the Sidnaw animal shelter. ;)

Ted, you've been to Sidnaw before right?? I don't think they have an animal shelter.

But if they are hunting dogs I'm sure you might find them homes.

Ted, you've been to Sidnaw before right?? I don't think they have an animal shelter.

But if they are hunting dogs I'm sure you might find them homes.

If they're cute enough (what puppies aren't cute) they'd probably find rides to various pilot's homes. IOW we wouldn't need no stinkin shelter.

1) I know there aren't any animal shelters there, hence the joke

2) Virtually all the animals I transport are really cute. Didn't you see the puppies on the news stories? The kittens were cute, too.

However, I can't just be a roaming adoption center due to various regulations, unfortunately. In fact, even if I find an animal that I want to adopt from the transports I do, I either have to decide before the transport that I want it (from pictures), or else make arrangements to come back to the shelter that received the animal and adopt it then.

A few pix from the trip home:

1. Escape from Manhattan (MHK)
2. Washing the aircraft
3. 10.5 somewhere over western Kansas
4. Nope, not going north
5. Hmmm, wonder if I should deviate?
6. DEVIATE!
7. No, I really didn't fly under it.
8. Hayden-half disembarking
9. Hayden-half sets foot in Colorado
10. Hayden-half says, "Quit cleaning the plane, I'm ready for a beer!"

Attachments

• SDC10170.JPG
    SDC10170.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • SDC10168.JPG
    SDC10168.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • SDC10172.JPG
    SDC10172.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • SDC10175.JPG
    SDC10175.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • SDC10180.JPG
    SDC10180.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • SDC10183.JPG
    SDC10183.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • SDC10186.JPG
    SDC10186.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • SDC10188.JPG
    SDC10188.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • SDC10190.JPG
    SDC10190.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • SDC10191.JPG
    SDC10191.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
A few pix from the trip home:

1. Escape from Manhattan (MHK)
2. Washing the aircraft
3. 10.5 somewhere over western Kansas
4. Nope, not going north
5. Hmmm, wonder if I should deviate?
6. DEVIATE!
7. No, I really didn't fly under it.
8. Hayden-half disembarking
9. Hayden-half sets foot in Colorado
10. Hayden-half says, "Quit cleaning the plane, I'm ready for a beer!"

Hayden-Half???? and you got the bottem?

Better you than me, or the number of pieces might have increased dramatically.

Hayden-Half???? and you got the bottem?

You were the one that told us "Hayden was BESIDE himself, when he found out Ted wasn't going to be able to make it". Well, he just couldn't seem to pull himself together and ended up in two different planes. Now, he is going to have to travel the world--Looking for himself! :rolleyes2: I wonder how long it will take? :idea:

Barb

:lol:

Now I have to post my adventures with Hayden so we can get on with the rest of the story...

Actually, I'm not done posting my adventures with Hayden, so that has to happen first.

Poor Hayden!

Is getting near time that we need to do an scattering of ashed from the air and get a new Hayden?

Poor Hayden!

Is getting near time that we need to do an scattering of ashed from the air and get a new Hayden?

There was talk of that but Hayden screamed out "I'm not dead yet!!!"

Back