6Y9 2008 Trip report

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
With everyone leaving on Friday I was starting to feel left behind but my work schedule abated and I was able to leave and head up to the UP and get there Friday evening.

I left 10C and headed pretty much straight up north. The worst of the weekend WX was on my route, FEW6500, 10SM vis!!

I climbed up to 9500' MSL to get a smoother ride but there was a small head wind that did slow me down. North of the Milwaukee area 122.75 started to come alive with PoAer advising their positions. Seemed like Tony, Chris, Rachel and Leah would make it in first followed by Jay and Paul (hope I got that name right). Tim, Ted, Adam, Ed, and Juliet should have already been there. I soon heard Grant and Leslie behind me a little ways and then Pete. Eventually Kate would come up on frequency and a friend of her also flew up form KCLI (I forgot his name).

6Y9's runway is really top notch now! It is like flying into a grass KI Sawyer!

I was surprised to see Barb had already made it in her trusty Tri-Pacer. As I was coming I was thinking that this year I would get to park closer to the outhouse than in years past when I came on Friday. But so many people were already there I parked even further out than I did last year. Ed and Adam were directing the plane to park and set it up so we would have two rows for aircraft.

After landing the greeting started and it was cool and nice to see familiar and new faces. But before the sun went down there was camp to set up so out came the tent and gear.

After everyone came we headed to Hoppy's for dinner and cocktails. upon our arrival at Hoppy's we were seated and started ordering from their extensive gourmet menu of local delicacies. The adult beverage began to flow and fun ensued. The band was "Purdy Good" but needed more cowbell in my estimation.

The coolest thing about coming to a 6Y9 fly-in is that it seems the whole town is excited. Many of them make you feel like the 'Blue Angels' pilots must feel when they come to town. Our waitress wanted to know if we were "the pilots" and spoke to us about her boy getting a ride.

We had a great time at Hoppy's but had to leave when Ted, Chris, Pete, and Tony had depleted all of the supplies at the bar. So back to camp to relax and unwind with a good friend from Tennessee then to bed.

I woke at dawn to sound of many sandhill cranes that had decided to fly into the misty covered field. I fell back asleep and was awoken a couple of hour later to the sound of a powered parachute taking off. A look at the watch showed me it was almost 10am local (9am my time).

People were up doing things and the PoA gang was beginning to stir. We plotted out or day of what we were going to do and realized hydration was going to be an important part of it. While almost all of the PoAer were part of this conversation one or two would wait a few more hours before really joining the pack, but I'll leave that to her to tell us about ;)

They day was wonderful, clear blue, light winds. A helicopter showed up and was giving rides to the local which they enjoyed a lot. We liked having a fan fly over head to cool us down once every 15 minutes. Lunch was served and was great. The potato salad was supper! Ted regaled us with discussions of Lycoming's 'superior lean of peak operation' and handed out propaganda to all. Later in the day we were joined by a new potential PoAer, we'll call him Mr. 24. ;) He was a hoot!!! Lets just say he that for some he was an appropriate addition to their "dance cards" :rofl::rofl:

A bunch of us did walk over to the gas station for some ice cream. Inside we saw the posted pictures of 'Tony the celebrity pilot', who last year pulled his plane up to the pumps. The owner says he shows those to the snowmobilers who come by in the winter wanting high octane gas. He says if his gas is good enough for an airplane it is good enough for their snow machines.

As the sun set it was time for the hay ride and dinner. That ended with us back in Sidnaw for some late night refreshments and sleep.

I awoke very early, just as the sun was coming up. This year we had access to a hot water shower so off I went and had a clean up and then grabbed my camera for some 'magic hour' photo shoots.

I was one of the first to leave and was lucky enough to see the morning fog to east laying on the hills.

All in all another great weekend up in the UP and I am already counting the days until next year. This was my third 6Y9 fly-in and it will not be my last. Do try and make it up it is a special place even if they do not yet have a Starbucks!

Ed will have the official counts but I think we had 21 aircraft this year.

Ted and Ed go to be on TV with Ted providing the reporter with a ride so that she could get some airborne coverage.

Last edited:
Nice trip report, Scott. I saw you on this board today and was confused - I thought you would still be up at 6Y9.

I had no plane available yesterday after my IR lesson, but I went on an XC to DBQ today. I don't think I've had a smoother flight than today - @ 6,500 and 5,500 on the return the entire flight was like being on glass. The slightest nudge on the yoke or the slightest turn on the trim wheel and the plane did what I asked. Chicago Center didn't even sound busy.

Not a bump out there, until I got below 3,500 feet and then the terminal areas of my trip got exciting. It was to be expected at DBQ with the hills, but at KUES it was wild. I think I had my two hardest landings there, and I was reminded that it was a warm summer day, with these things called thermals! What was surprising is ATIS said the wind was calm, but when I got to final it was gusting. I should have asked about the wind.

Anyway, another great day flying. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip as well.

Scott hit the high points (and a gorgeous picture of my airplane, too!)...so I'll just say that I'm home, after a total of 4.2 enroute. (The trip up was 2.8.) We fought a 30-40 knot headwind all the way; I PIREPd the winds at 6500 MSL just before starting my descent into KFRM as 191 at 46. Since my on-course heading was 241, it was slow. We didn't break 85 knots groundspeed the whole way. On top of that, the winds at KFRM itself were 160 at 18G27. Landing on 13 was fun.

Paul and I enjoyed the weekend. We'll be back next year.

I couldn't find me camera for the majority of the fly-in, so the pictures are few. It turns out it was in the same (relative) location as someone's wallet. Buried in the tent.

If these attach, we've got an aerial view of 6Y9 on friday afternoon. There really is a great view - come in high, and you have a view of superior to the north, and endless woods everywhere else.

Saturday morning at 7 am was perfect with a fog covering the field and cranes doing low fly-by's on the runway. Ignore the shadow of the person taking the picture... it was early.

On the way home, I was flogging the heck out of the Citabria and was enjoying 63 kts over the ground. Even after using the newly learned CORRECT leaning procedure for my Lyc - I stopped at LNL for some fuel. Wind was calm on takeoff, but at 800 AGL I was back to 60kts. I had a solution - I leaned out the window, slapped on may "Thunderbolt by Lycoming" sticker - BAM! 65 kts over the ground. :D

Scott had a great recap, but I want to reiterate that -

The Fredericks were wonderful, wonderful hosts. All the effort they put into it was recognized, and much appreciated.

The Wx was great, meeting people in person was fun, and some of the Sidnaw folks were quite entertaining. I certainly learned a few things about salesman-ship from a couple of the local kids looking for rides.

I'll be back, if only to try some of Grant and Leslie's cookies that I missed out on. There were plenty, but "it's Tim's fault" and my stomach was calling for nothing more solid than Gatorade.

Glad to see Jay made it back safely, the winds were sporty when I got back, and they were higher were he was headed.

Tim

Attachments

• DSC02761.JPG
    DSC02761.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC02762.JPG
    DSC02762.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC02776.JPG
    DSC02776.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 37
Leslie and I just got back. We fueled at Sawyer ($5.53), then did ESC, over to Washington Island, and down the lakefront to Gery, where we turned west for home. We actually got flight following all the way back from Sawyer, including the Chicago lakefront! Yes, Chicago Approach talked to us, and did a great job!.

I've a bunch of pictures to upload, including some of Mr. Overalls, who was regaling us with his dancing on Friday night, and Mr. Old Timer, who was doing the same!

The Frederick's were WONDERFUL host again this year.

I know that the Schweizer helicopter gave rides to 44 people, so he had a long day, even though it was usually two people per hop. There were also some EAAers there giving Young Eagle rides, and the powered parachute was doing rides.

It was nice meeting up with all the old crowd, as well as the new folks! Met Jay and Paul for the first time, and Leslie and Paul had a good time stargazing through her scope both nights. The weather was FABULOUS, including having no sky cover at night! Also met John, Kate's friend from Neenah who came up in his Cherokee 140. and Tim. Tom and Elaine were helping up at the camp, and Jamie (Juliette) was staying up there, too.

It was great that we had an East Coast contingent this year, with Adam Z and Ted coming in from Pennsylvania.

Unfortunately, my camera seems to have broken just as we were leaving, so I couldn't get any shots of the strip mining around Sawyer, or the Chicago lakefront. I'll try to get the other shots uploaded sometime this weekend and posted to the photo thread.

More updates later!

Curiosity is killin' me.
Who is "Mr. 24"????

Sounde like you all had a great time.

Well now it's my turn! Scott did cover most of the high points, so I will cover my bits.

Friday morning I woke up at 5 AM (as my post on Friday morning stated). I got up, showered, packed up the truck, ate breakfast, took the dog for a walk, then dropped him off at the kennel. I talked to Missa before taking off, and she said that I wasn't going to be able to get out before noon, because of the clouds. HA! Instrument rating to the rescue! I had filed my flight plans. I was thick in the soup for the first hour and a half of flying to my first stop (KPHN), and then broke out right about over Lake Erie. After that, it was beautiful skimming the tops of the clouds until I had to descend through the layers, doing an actual ILS. Not down to minimums, but the ceiling was 800 AGL. Yep, ILS was the right way to go there (I made sure to pick a stopping point with an ILS) I landed to find out that Ray had called the line crew and asked them to say hi to me. Pleasant surprise, indeed! Fueled up, picked up my second clearance, and then off to KAIG to pick up Jamie. There was less time in the clouds on that leg, breaking out before I hit lake Michigan, but it totaled to 2.5 hours of logged actual time.

I picked up Jamie and we headed up to 6Y9. I had arrived after Ed and Adam arrived in the Arrow, and Tim in the Citabria. Shortly thereafter the other planes started arriving. Some of these people I had met, but others I have only spoken to before on here and in LiveChat (formerly FlashChat). I always love putting faces with names and getting the opportunity to spend time with these people who I already feel like I know and have a great deal of respect for.

Saturday was the big event day. I awoke pretty early in the pack (which was still about 9:30), and had some breakfast. There was a lot of great talking Saturday, and just general camaraderie. Yep, the media showed up. A reporter from the local news station came and interviewed Ed and me. I took her up in the Archer for a little bit to get some footage of the event. No idea if it made the evening news or not, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot else going on in the UP... I also got talked into giving that kid a ride who was asking everyone. At least he was polite and enthusaistic about it.

Once the crowd died down and it was just us around, we continued story time. I had brought some posters and stickers for people to have (they were supposed to make it to Gastons, but of course I didn't make it, so neither did they). We just sat around and talked more, and it was a great time for all. At least, it seemed that way to me. At least we had comedic entertainment from the local "24" guy...

Saturday night, we went to dinner via hay ride. We hopped on Ed's parents hay wagon and Ed's dad drove the tractor there and back. We went to the bar and had them make dinner there, and then ate it on the hay ride back to the airport. I called it an early bedtime after a really fun day, but I was pretty tired out.

This morning I woke up, and we all went to Ed's parents' for breakfast (at least, most of us, some people had already left), then packed up and headed home after dropping off Jamie. Today was perfect VFR weather coming home, albeit very windy. I think Jay wins for the worst headwind at 30-40 kts. Geez, that's firece. I climbed up to 9500 and it was very smooth up there, but the winds didn't help me a whole lot. Made it back home to Williamsport tired, but happy.

This weekend was absolutely the most fun I have had in ages. I can't possibly thank Ed and his parents enough for all the effort they put into this, and everyone who showed up for coming and making this event so much fun. We have a great group of people here, the sort of people who you wish you were always around. Thankfully, because of our shared hobby, we are able to come together from long distances and spend this time together. I'll definitely be at 6Y9 next year, and I hope I'll get to see everyone who came before then.

Now, for my amendments to others' coments ;)

Ted regaled us with discussions Lycoming superior lean of peak operation and handed out propaganda to all.

Geez, I bring you all valuable information and you misrepresent it to the good people of PoA. Some thanks I get! Maybe I should have read that out loud to you... :yes:

Ted and Ed go to be on TV with Ted providing the reporter with a ride so that she could get some airborne coverage.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever video they did. Did we get any confirmation as to whether or not we actually did make it on the news?

Scott, even if you misrepresent the gifts I bestowed upon you, I was glad to meet you. Hope to see you again soon!

On the way home, I was flogging the heck out of the Citabria and was enjoying 63 kts over the ground. Even after using the newly learned CORRECT leaning procedure for my Lyc - I stopped at LNL for some fuel. Wind was calm on takeoff, but at 800 AGL I was back to 60kts. I had a solution - I leaned out the window, slapped on may "Thunderbolt by Lycoming" sticker - BAM! 65 kts over the ground. :D

See, stickers are good for something! :D But WOW that's an awful ground speed. You and Jay definitely had it bad there.

The Fredericks were wonderful, wonderful hosts. All the effort they put into it was recognized, and much appreciated.

Absolutely. This can't be stated enough! Plus the airport is in great condition as far as I'm concerned, and after talking to Brad this morning about his plans for upgrades, I am certain it will only get better. I am looking forward to seeing the upgrades as the years pass.

Tim, it was great meeting you and I hope that we'll get the chance to meet again at future fly-ins!

It was great that we had an East Coast contingent this year, with Adam Z and Ted coming in from Pennsylvania.

I was very glad to have made it. Hopefully you'll make it out this way soon!

Curiosity is killin' me.
Who is "Mr. 24"????
He was a local who sat off to one side making comments while we were sitting around talking after the crowds thinned out on Saturday. He was either thoroughly intoxicated, or else had other problems. Either way, it made for interesting listening.

I think Jay wins for the worst headwind at 30-40 kts. Geez, that's firece.
Yeah, it was pretty stiff. I thought about staying at 4500 to lessen them a little, but we were still getting beaten up there, so I sucked it up and climbed. The ride was smooth, and we did manage to follow a few detective shows on XM 164.

I just checked; the 3.8 hour leg from KLNL (fuel stop) to KFRM is the longest, in time, I've ever flown. My long solo cross-country was that for all 3 legs in a 172. It confirmed my overall idea to avoid planning legs longer than three hours. I was pretty tired after that leg and the landing in strong gusty winds at Fairmont. When we pulled up in front of the hangar, I held the canopy while Paul climbed out. The wind nearly pulled it out of my hand. "Did I really land in this?!" I had to work at it down final, but the landing itself failed to suck.

chris and I were about 3.3 or so for the trip home. after grilling some burgers at Brad and Diz's we ATV'd to the airport and launched. A local on a four wheeler watched us leave. Hit Land o Lakes for some gas and by then it was after sunset so we headed out. 4500 feet gave us 30ish knot headwinds for an average groundspeed around 110 knots. landed around 11 PM. The flight was beautiful and we saw a lot of fireworks shows going off in celebration for Labor Day. Those plush leather seats in the 182RG made for a comfortable long sit, the girls had a nice nap, and chris made a passable landing at ames with a blazing 3 knot wind.

great seeing old friends and making new ones. see you all next time!

chris made a passable landing at ames with a blazing 3 knot wind.

Geez, if Chris's landing was only passable I hate to think what mine was! :eek:

great seeing old friends and making new ones. see you all next time!

+1 :yes:

Geez, if Chris's landing was only passable I hate to think what mine was! :eek:

both of your landings were fine. considering that we had been droning in the dark for 3 and a half hours his landing at ames was great. i dont think i couldve done much better.

He was a local who sat off to one side making comments while we were sitting around talking after the crowds thinned out on Saturday. He was either thoroughly intoxicated, or else had other problems. Either way, it made for interesting listening.
Barb said at one point that she thought he is schizophrenic.

both of your landings were fine. considering that we had been droning in the dark for 3 and a half hours his landing at ames was great. i dont think i couldve done much better.

I figured. ;) I know when I got home after my 5 hour leg from Wisconsin to Williamsport I was definitely ready to get out.

I figured. ;) I know when I got home after my 5 hour leg from Wisconsin to Williamsport I was definitely ready to get out.

cool, you picked up enough of a tailwind to go nonstop?

what was your leaning procedure and resulting fuel burn??

cool, you picked up enough of a tailwind to go nonstop?

Actually it was a slight headwind for the first half. I took off out of KAIG and did a D->IPT into the GPS, saw that it was 586 NM. Total time en route was 5 hours on the dot, so an average ground speed of 117 kts (the plane was truing out at 125 or so). Since the weather was perfectly smooth and there were no clouds, I ended up looking at the POH for a bit.

what was your leaning procedure and resulting fuel burn??

It was all by the book. I was running about 70% power in cruise (about all you can run up there), average fuel burn ended up being 8.5 gph. Came out to right around 5 hr 45 minutes of fuel for 5 hours of flying time, right on with the calculations. I was also keeping an eye on the fuel gauges, which on that plane are actually rather accurate (surprisingly).

I had a great trip to and from Sidnaw. I was able to leave out of Gladwin Friday early afternoon, flying along about 1000ft AGL. I planned to cross Lake Michigan at Beaver Island. Just before getting to the lake I started my climb to get some altitude and ended up crossing at about 2000ft AGL. Then it was on to Sawyer(Marquette) for fuel. It was only about a 50 mile hop from there to Sidnaw and spent most of the flight looking for moose(I didn't see any) While monitoring the Sidnaw frequency, I heard Ted anounce "descending out of 5000ft to pattern altitude" and being as how he is the model of radio etiquette, I decided to emulate his example and anounced that I was "climbing to pattern altitude."
Man, have the Fredericks gotten that runway in nice shape. It's so looong, I had to add power to taxi down to parking after the landing.
The weekend was alot of fun and I couldn't bear leaving Sunday, so I stayed on till Monday before leaving. I even got to Solo a four wheeler but I couldn't keep up with Leah. She hit every mud puddle on the trail!
The flight back home was a good one. (I still haven't seen any moose)
I can't wait for next year. Thanks for all your time and efforts--EdFred and EdFred's DadBrad and Diz the Baritone.

Barb

While monitoring the Sidnaw frequency, I heard Ted anounce "descending out of 5000ft to pattern altitude" and being as how he is the model of radio etiquette, I decided to emulate his example and anounced that I was "climbing to pattern altitude."

All of us on the ground were :rofl: when we heard you announced that, Barb!

Especially in a part of the country I've never been to before and with terrain significantly different than what I'm used to here in PA, I wanted to stay high until I positively identified the airport. Once we'd figured out where it was, then I circled around to descend.

Man, have the Fredericks gotten that runway in nice shape. It's so looong, I had to add power to taxi down to parking after the landing.

That's for sure! I've done some of the <2000 ft grass strips around here that still have the 50 ft obstacles at either end. This runway was a real treat. That said, our little planes are well suited for flying in and out of these sorts of strips.

Well I guess I should add my 2 cents to this thread. As always a big thanks to the whole Frederick clan for putting on such a great flyin weekend. I ended up leaving a bit after 4pm (EDT) as the plane was booked at 6pm (CDT). The takeoff took a bit longer due to the 91F temp on the ground, but with the runway approaching the size of a SAC base it wasn't really an issue :). Stopped in at Clintonville for gas on the way home, and had the plane stopped at 5:58:32 pm back in Madison. And after all that work of getting home early the guy who had the plane at 6 never showed:mad:

Well see you all again at next year's 6Y9 flyin. And Tony don't ride so close behind my ATV next time :)

I just wanted to post a word actually a lot of words about the 6Y9er 2008 flyin. I'll post my photos in the photo thread. I finally got home to Philly around 8:00PM so other than Ed's dad Brad I'm the last one in. First off I want to say What awesome hosts the Fredericks, Ed, Brad and Diz are, wether you stayed in the loft at their cabin as I did in the Bunk house in tents on the field or at the old town hall like Jay did. They could not have been more accomodating and generous. So a huge THANK YOU ED, BRAD AND DIZ!

Second Spending the holiday weekend with such great POAers, Brad, Ed, Chris, Rachel, Tony, Leah, Ted, Jamie, Barb, Kate, Scott, Pete, jay, paul, Grant and Leslie and Tim everyone was awesome. Kate also invited another pilot John and his PA28-140, from her home field who will hopefully join us here at POAThe amount of fun I had should be illegal.

Look we all like to have folks come to our flyins but I can't encourage the rest of the POAers to try and make it next year. This was just awesome and incredibly laid back. Every flyin has its postive aspects certainly Gastons and Wings Flybq are great and the 6Y9er event is no exception the only difference is that Ed and his family ACTUALLY REOPENED AN AIRPORT. I hope as many of us as possible will get out to support them next year. I am challanging all the PA POAers Rob, Bob, Andrew, Lee Gary, Shane to all make it next year. Shane this is right up your alley.

Anyway I got up and out the door at 4:00am on Friday and took the NWA metal mailing tube from PHL to GRR via DTW Ed picked me up at GRR we hopped in his vette and were off to Allagan to pick up the Arrow. I was very interested to see what crossing lake Michigan would be like and Ed was a good person to go with given his vast experience. We headed north to cross near the Fox, beaver and washington islands after climbinng to 8500 for the crossing. It was facinating to fly over places I' had never been. The islands in the lake were beautiful and looked like fun places to fly. The water was clear and blue.

Anyway when we crossed into the upper Pinnsula all I could see for as far as the eye could see and I mean that litterally on a crystal clear day was green. Trees Trees Trees and lakes and a few bogs and did I mention Trees. After just under 2.5 from Allagan we reached 6Y8er. Apparently one does not land at 6Y9er without a low pass and an over fly of the Frederick Family Camp. We were met upon landing by Ed and Diz Unloaded and got back to the Camp. Ted and Jamie were next in followed by Barb. Tony, leah, Chris and Rachel and everyone else trickled in. I got most of it on video and will try to figure out how to post it including Scotts three landings in one:rolleyes:

At somepoint we all headed out to Hoppy Bar in the next town. ( Hoppys was right across from the Up Chuck Inn) Were we all had much to eat and drink and listend to a Purty Good Band. I won't say much about activites at Hoppys because what happens in Sidnaw Stays in Sidnaw but we did clean them out of Crown Royal and The Owner bestowed Ted with his new monkier " Sunshine" with a very authoritative " Listen here SUNSHINE":yes:

We got back at Two so after beinng up for 22 hrs I wasn't keen on waking on Saturday but did and had a blast at the BBQ we all hungout at the 6Y9er pilot shack and learned a new local Sidnaw Phrase

"WHOOO HOOO TIGHTEN UP YER PANTY HOSE"

If ya want to know about it show up next year.

That night Brad ( Ed's dad) took us all on a hay ride and then we headed back to the Frederick camp for a fire and some of the most Amazing Star Gazing you can imagine.

Sunday bought relaxation, some departures and lots of ATV riding some where there are photos of kate and Rachel with Dirt beards and moustaches.

Ed and I left along with kate and Barb this morning at 9 and we all headed home Ed and I hit the back side of a High Pressure system and got a wicked tail wind when we turned south but Ed gave me an air tour of the Michigan Lake sure and dunes BEAUTIFUL.

I will guarantee an awesome time for anyone who shows up next year. The people were great as was the local.

Thanks again Brad,Diz and Ed.

Last edited:
<snip> but we did clean them out of Crown Royal and The Owner bestowed Ted with his new monkier " Sunshine" with a very authoritative " Listen here SUNSHINE":yes: <snip>

Ok, now it wasn't till this right there that I was sorry I didn't take Ted up on the ride... Now that I would like to have seen. :yes:

6Y9 from the Jones's perspective:

Departed AMW around 2pm after waiting for Tony to get his act together. We climbed up to 9500' to get above the bumps and heat. Averaged about 1-2kt headwind overall for the trip up which put us there ~2.5 hr after takeoff. Enroute, we were able to chat with Scott, Grant & Leslie, Jay & Paul. I thought for sure we would be one of the first few there, but turning downwind, I was surprised to see several planes already parked. Made a surviveable landing at 6Y9. Came in a little hot, carried some speed through the flare and pulled flaps a little early after touchdown. Even though I botched it, I still had well over 400' before getting to the other end of the runway even without getting on the brakes. Seriously - that runway is HUGE!

Once on the ground, we were welcomed by the travelling PoA welcome committee. We got our tents set up, folding chairs out, and waited for others to arrive. Kate and John rounded out the arrivals for the evening. We piled into the back of Brad's pickup and headed down to Hoppy's for drinks and dinner and drinks. ;)

Saturday morning eventually rolled around and *most* of the PoA'ers were stirring by 10-11am. A quick shower and a Gatorade later, we were back in business with solving the worlds aviation problems from the flightline of 6Y9. :) The entire town (and more) rolled through the airport throughout the day. Many were eager to know more about the airplanes and full of "Where did you come in from, eh?" questions. Most of Saturday was consumed with folding chair flying (as opposed to hangar flying), shade chasing, and random jaunts to the gas station for hand-dipped ice cream.

Saturday evening rolled around and we all piled on Brad and Diz's fancy new hay rack (Diz's b-day present, I might add) for a cool hayride back to Hoppy's for dinner. Hoppy's donated all the 'fixins for the Saturday cookout, which is why we were so eager to send them our business. They were very accomodating to us 'outsiders' in the 'nort woods. Nobody worry - I did make it home with my wallet!! :rolleyes:

Saturday night was a laid-back evening with a hayride back to the 'local' bar. Most of the PoA'ers were a little burnt out from the night before which made for an early turn-in. A few folks stayed up to take advantage of the absolutely AMAZING sky viewing -- I grew up in the middle of cotton fields in po-dunk Alabama, so I *thought* I had seen the best views of the night sky, but nothing compares to the view you get at 6Y9!

Sunday morning, we were awaken by the fly-by of the RV-8 that had flown in -- most of us were OK with it. ;) Scott made an early departure followed by Tim. If you look closely at my pictures of Tim's departure in the Citabria, you can see the heavy dew flowing off the back of his wings. It was a gorgeous morning for flying! We then shuttled over to the Fredrick's cabin for a gourmet campfire breakfast. After a couple of 4-wheeling tours (not the "3 hour tour" variety), it was time for the final round of departures. Kate and Barb decided to stay around for one more night, but our crew had to get back to reality by the next morning. Tony and I decided to make a late departure from Land-o-Lakes and get my night Comm. XC done on the return trip. It was an uneventful trip flight home with another surviveable landing at AMW in a monstrous 1-2kt x-wind component a little before 11pm local. Not bad for waiting for sunset and then fighting a 30+kt headwind the whole way home.

As already mentioned by other attendees, the Fredricks' do an absolutely AMAZING job to put this event together. After hearing some of the "behind the scenes" stories, it only adds to my amazement of what they do to make sure this event takes place. If we as GA pilots are truely devoted to preserving airports throughout the US, this should be one that we all support whole-heartedly. There isn't any industry in the area, and there isn't any big opportunity for commercial aviation to move in, which is why we as "hobby" pilots, as Ted put it, should really step in to make sure this airport survives as long as possible.

Labor Day weekend 2009. Put it on your calendars NOW. I promise you - it is worth the effort to make sure you are there!

Ok, now it wasn't till this right there that I was sorry I didn't take Ted up on the ride... Now that I would like to have seen. :yes:

Oh believe me, you would have liked to have seen me that evening. Perhaps I'm glad you didn't make it. :D

I do believe that Chris represented the opinion of the Joneses well, but i thought i would add my own two cents. I had GREAT time. I loved getting to see some familiar faces, and was very happy with the newbies to Sidnaw this year. The area is beautiful, i have never seen so many stars! We could not have had better hosts. Brad, Diz and Ed carted us around, fed us, planned entertainment, took care of all our needs, and only wanted to know what they could do better next year.
I would just like to represent the non-pilot population for a moment and say that you should not hesitate to bring your non-pilot wife/husband/girlfriend/kids....whoever. Sometimes I sit around and nod my head and smile when the conversation is over my head. But, i learn more every trip, and believe it or not, pilots can talk about non-aviation related stuff once in a while too! So, now you all now how much fun it was...no excuses, see you all next year.

Diz’s 6Y9 Return Trip Report

Ok - I'm new to the boards—Ed made me join so I could see everyone’s wonderful pictures-and ahem- a video or two. Sooooo since I'm here, I thought that I would add some things about my trip home from 6Y9.

Departure time was around 11:30 a EST on Tuesday with clear skies and quite a bit of a headwind. After securing the cabin, Elaine (who worked her butt off for me for 6 days) and I prepared for take off. The heat index was so bad that I had to keep my wheels down much longer than desired and was not able to fully lift off…..EVER. The humidity was very heavy and so AC was a requirement for the total trip. I usually fly with my canopy open but it was just too hot and too much of a drag.

At a ground speed of 54-55 knots – maybe a little more when I felt absolutely safe in maneuvering a little faster, we were able to reach the Bridge around 4:30. We had some delays along the way……a McFlurry had our names all over it and TV6 NEWS was sitting along side when I flew by. I had to circle back and stop and order a DVD. They were kind enough to show me the video right then and there and gave me permission to make copies for personal use. That being said anyone who wants a copy, let me know and I’ll make you one.

Getting south of the Straights always gets my adrenaline going. It's the half way mark and…..that means that I can kick it up to about 68-69 knots. Always checking for other unwanted craft in MY area, we eased along quite well for the duration of the journey. I had to stop to refuel only once…. the total trip up and back took about 32 gallons.

The humidity was starting to wane just a bit the farther south we went and the winds started to calm down slightly. It made for a nice arrival around 8:00 p. No gusting as I made my approach which is always a good thing.

NOW—let me say—I LOVE YOU ALL!!!! I can’t tell you how exciting it is to see and hear you all as you are arriving at 6Y9. It truly makes all the blood, sweat, and tears worth it and it is quite an empty feeling when the weekend comes to an end. Hence I am anxiously waiting for next year! I would like to add, too, that you need not wait for the "official" fly in. You are welcome to invite yourself to join us any time that we're up there. Some of you have already done that and we have thoroughly enjoyed having you.

I/we are open to suggestions that would make an even greater event. A few of us have already had a chance to brainstorm a bit, and know that I WILL be calling on you next year to help with some of the ideas that you mentioned. J I’m making a list and will be checking it more than twice.

As for the three of you who have requested that we adopt you… anybody know a good PoA lawyer that can advise us on that?

Pix I took should be on the website soon….sorry Adam- some of yours got mixed with mine and will be included in the lot.

Look forward to seeing you all again!

Welcome Diz! I really must make it next year... specially if Ted goes agian. (no excuses I can just hop in his plane)

I love your report and I can tell you have been hanging out with pilots for far too long to not be able to fly in something with wings. Get that boy of yours to teach you!

Missa

Welcome Diz! I really must make it next year... specially if Ted goes agian. (no excuses I can just hop in his plane)

What do you mean "if"? You know I'm going again next year! Whether you see 62G again or whether I show up in something a little more interesting, well, we'll figure that out later.

That said, I was glad to have 62G, both as a trusted friend (and this being the longest trip I've made so far, and the first solo hard IFR day I've had), and as a very presentable plane that was able to help give one reporter a good impression of GA. :)

So Diz, now that you've ordered the DVD (which I will want a copy of!) does that mean that I don't have an excuse to contact that cute reporter so I can ask for a copy? ;)

What do you mean "if"? You know I'm going again next year! Whether you see 62G again or whether I show up in something a little more interesting, well, we'll figure that out later.

That said, I was glad to have 62G, both as a trusted friend (and this being the longest trip I've made so far, and the first solo hard IFR day I've had), and as a very presentable plane that was able to help give one reporter a good impression of GA. :)
/quote]Well the way you run that engine it may be down for maintenance. I have this great little booklet from Lycoming you should read on how to treat your engine :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well the way you run that engine it may be down for maintenance. I have this great little booklet from Lycoming you should read on how to treat your engine :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know, Scott, you should try reading that little booklet, you might learn something. ;)

Welcome to the board, Diz! As already said by everyone that attended - thanks to you and your boys for making this happen! (Also, special thanks to ?Ellen? that was running around picking up/putting away/cleaning 24/7!!!)

Stay in touch with us before next year. If you have ideas to bounce off of us, you can post here or email directly.

Can't wait till next year!! (And maybe some 'real' 4-wheeling. ;))

Missa: Hopefully we'll see you next year.....will look forward to meeting you.

Ted: I can always "forget" to mail you the DVD and then you can do what you have to do to get with the reporter......

Chris: "You betcha eh" that I'll be getting with you and Rachel regarding our conversation at breakfast; it was Elaine that was running around crazy and she will be back; AND more "importantly"- we'll get some "real" 4 wheeling in for sure next year. Better bring some clothes that you don't care about....I've got a couple of places already in mind :yes:

Missa: Hopefully we'll see you next year.....will look forward to meeting you.

Ted: I can always "forget" to mail you the DVD and then you can do what you have to do to get with the reporter......

Chris: "You betcha eh" that I'll be getting with you and Rachel regarding our conversation at breakfast; it was Elaine that was running around crazy and she will be back; AND more "importantly"- we'll get some "real" 4 wheeling in for sure next year. Better bring some clothes that you don't care about....I've got a couple of places already in mind :yes:

Ya mean were gonna four wheel down the bluff to the lake?:hairraise:

Diz don't forget to get me that info we were chatting about

Back