6B6 Fom "This Week's Approach"

aterpster

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
aterpster
I posted this in "This Week's Approach" but the thread is old so perhaps no one looked:

6B6 VOR/DME final approach segment near, and at the approach end of Rwy 21. The centerline to edge width of the primary area (out to the yellow tinted area, which is the secondary area) is 2.25 nautical miles. You are as likely to be at least half-way displaced (centerline to edge) as you are to be on centerline. If the visibility is only 1 mile (0.87 n.m.) there is a good chance you will never see the airport.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/6B6VORFinal-1.jpg

I posted this in "This Week's Approach" but the thread is old so perhaps no one looked:

6B6 VOR/DME final approach segment near, and at the approach end of Rwy 21. The centerline to edge width of the primary area (out to the yellow tinted area, which is the secondary area) is 2.25 nautical miles. You are as likely to be at least half-way displaced (centerline to edge) as you are to be on centerline. If the visibility is only 1 mile (0.87 n.m.) there is a good chance you will never see the airport.

6B6VORFinal-1.jpg

What's a VOR? ;)

(Just kidding - I'd probably fly the RNAV(GPS) 21 instead, but I know there are plenty of planes without a GPS, and plenty of GPS outages.)

Interesting. The runway is a bit over 25nm from the VOR, so every degree off is nearly 1/2 mile. Now if your VOR's were 3º apart on the check... Hmmm.

What's a VOR? ;)

(Just kidding - I'd probably fly the RNAV(GPS) 21 instead, but I know there are plenty of planes without a GPS, and plenty of GPS outages.)

Interesting. The runway is a bit over 25nm from the VOR, so every degree off is nearly 1/2 mile. Now if your VOR's were 3º apart on the check... Hmmm.

No doubt, an IAP like this proves the real value of the linear accuracy of GPS over the scalloping anguar VOR (or yegads, NDB systems.) But, a VOR IAP such as this one is an examiner's dream.

No doubt, an IAP like this proves the real value of the linear accuracy of GPS over the scalloping anguar VOR (or yegads, NDB systems.) But, a VOR IAP such as this one is an examiner's dream.

I prefer the NDB-A to Minuteman.

Back