64 bit iPhone (5s)

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I wonder if FF is ready for this?

It means ios app developers are getting sloppy.

as expected, we'll have to wait a few months for new iPad mini.

I wonder if FF is ready for this?

I'm sure they will be... And I'm sure that Apple will handle the transition seamlessly, as they've handled many previous architecture changes (680x0 -> PowerPC -> Intel, Mac OS -> Mac OS X).

as expected, we'll have to wait a few months for new iPad mini.

Doubt it. Remember, last year the new iPads were introduced just 5 weeks after the new iPhones. I'd expect something similar this year - They don't want to be left without a new gadget (or with limited availability) during the holiday shopping season.

I'm a little torn on upgrading, not much diff than the 5 for what I use it for, but the camera sounds nice and the fingerprint reader sounds cool, so probably will give it a shot.

i'm getting one as soon as it comes out. dropped my iphone 4 yesterday (cracked it) and i've had it for 2.5 years

Considering the new phone ,passing my phone down in the family and trading the older I Phonefor a credit.

i'm getting one as soon as it comes out. dropped my iphone 4 yesterday (cracked it) and i've had it for 2.5 years

Translation: "I need a reason to get a new phone" hahaha I've done the drop-smash thing myself.

64 bit? WTF does that mean?

Essentially it means the CPU can handle a number 64-bits long.... so 64 1s or 0s in a single instruction. Depending on how they did the architecture there may be some advantages in pipelining instructions and it lets them address more memory.

I wouldn't expect to see much difference beyond the general CPU speed improvements that always come with a new model.

More importantly, it will have a separate processor to handle new sensor capabilities such as internal gyroscope and accelerometers. It will be interesting to see what aviation developers will do with this capability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

would you up grade to a Samsung G3 if it were free ?

What apps would you load?

Essentially it means the CPU can handle a number 64-bits long.... so 64 1s or 0s in a single instruction. Depending on how they did the architecture there may be some advantages in pipelining instructions and it lets them address more memory.

I wouldn't expect to see much difference beyond the general CPU speed improvements that always come with a new model.

Saw an article that explained it yesterday. With 64-bit processor and some of the internals changes in iOS 7 they're a step closer to Apps that will run on either iOS or OSX without changes. That opens up some rather interesting possibilities.

Hadn't figured that one out myself. Was a tech writer who pointed it out. I forget which one. Match up the APIs, done.

would you up grade to a Samsung G3 if it were free ?

What apps would you load?

If you mean service is free, perhaps. Since hardware is subsidized by service in the U.S., please define "free".

Our service rates are fairly high compared to places that the cell carriers don't do hardware subsidies. Better separation of service and hardware.

64 bit iOS means that an iOS 64 bit device could address much more memory than any iOS will have in the foreseeable future. Of course, that is true for 32 bit devices also.

Here is a good discussion with numbers for the geeky inclined.

I'm not an iOS developer, but I'm pretty sure the change to 64 bit processors is transparent, requiring at most checking a box in the XCode development system.

Back