60% by Christmas !

She does appear to be heading southwesterly. I plugged her last claimed airports in WingX and got this:
attachment.php

I am home. I didn't get as many unclaimed airports as I wanted to. The Shortwing Piper convention was in Santa Maria, CA. I flew down over Yellowstone, crossed Nevada and entered California by flying over Lake Tahoe. On the way home I flew into Death Valley, then over the Grand Canyon, up past Bryce Canyon, back down to the Colorado River to Moab. Then through the Tavaput mountains following the Green river into Wyoming and eventually back to Montana. Peter Yee had most of CA and NV claimed already. I did land at some of the airports in WY I hadn't been to, so I only have 2 more to get the whole state.

I am happy. :yes:

Barb

Good job. Sounds like a great flight,keep up the good work.

In California, Airnav lists KNUQ, CA13, CA84, 60CL, and 00ca as all being private use. They are shown as being available for claims. Oregon looks OK.

I have manually closed each of these. I'm not sure why there's a discrepency, as we use the same data source. I wonder if AirNav has updated yet, as the data is only a few days old right now....I'll keep an eye on these and see if I need to reopen.

I also hid "GLIDERPORTS" as that appears to be a fairly new classification of landing zones in the data (at least, new within the last 2 years).

Nick - sorry about these bug reports - but something appears to be inconsistent with the way you are handling gliderports. When I enter CA84 in the "Search for Airport:" field in the upper right of the pages, that airport still shows up as being available for claim in the result map. I suspect it is also the airport that is responsible for the count of 224 claims out of 226 for California in the Monthly Stats report. But other reports only show L78 as the remaining unclaimed CA airport.

Also, I'm curious to know what your data source is for airport data, if you don't mind my asking?

Hey, Mike! Love your shirts! Yell if you're coming down this way.

War Eagle Hank! I actually get to Auburn often. My oldest is a rising senior. As a matter of fact I will be in the loveliest village next weekend with my youngest who will be attending the Auburn baseball camp.

Nick - sorry about these bug reports - but something appears to be inconsistent with the way you are handling gliderports. When I enter CA84 in the "Search for Airport:" field in the upper right of the pages, that airport still shows up as being available for claim in the result map. I suspect it is also the airport that is responsible for the count of 224 claims out of 226 for California in the Monthly Stats report. But other reports only show L78 as the remaining unclaimed CA airport.

Also, I'm curious to know what your data source is for airport data, if you don't mind my asking?

Not at all!

The source is the FAA :) (to be specific, it comes from the APT.txt file that the FAA releases every 56 days. This data drives Airnav and the printed AFD, so it is accurate. That said, AIRNAV is showing airports closed that the FAA has listed as open, which makes me think they may be supplementing that data somehow).

CA84 is listed as a "GLIDERPORT" while L28 is listed as an "AIRPORT." Apparently I'm not filtering out GLIDERPORT from one of the queries, let me take a look.

EDIT: that issue is fixed. I'm looking at the monthly stats report now though, as I think there may be an issue with that report, and I think it is possible to run greater than 100% in certain edge scenarios...

Last edited:
Just checked into operation fly,and I see Barb is on the move again. The 60% goal should be no problem !if we give her a little help.

You know that adage about 80% / 20%? It gets applied to many situations. 20% of the MLB players make 80% of the Home Runs for example.
It appears that 196 pilots have claimed at least one airport with the Operation: FLY endeavor. It also appears that at least 755 pilots have registered to participate. Nick probably has the actual number of how many have registered. In this case, using the numbers quoted, it is more of a 75% / 25%. A bit different but still the same.

Started on a flight to AK today,will see what I can do ,using a direct route up,on the way back have some flexibility .will try to get a few that Haven't been claimed.

Two days into my quest. Logged a few new to me airports,having trouble getting to the non claimed,will keep working on it this month.

Couldn't be better,been lucky with the weather. Start the day flying at0700 working out great.got a couple more today. Tomorrow I'm in Canada. Will post from Alaska

Couldn't be better,been lucky with the weather. Start the day flying at0700 working out great.got a couple more today. Tomorrow I'm in Canada. Will post from Alaska

With 295 airports listed in Alaska and 37 claimed so far means 87% of the airports are available to be claimed.
You are headed for "fertile claiming" territory !

70% seems a little high!would think 65% should be doable .

:cheerswine: Congratulations on the 60% milestone to everyone who has made claims!
:happydance: Tip my hat to everyone who helped the 60% goal happen !

I was trying to rekindle participation in Operation: FLY America by the POA crowd and it seems that awareness has increased.

Onward and upward with the % !

You old think that if the members of POA singed on to operation fly,it old be a done deal.

I knocked out 6 last week and hope to finish off most of Central IL sometime this week with maybe a couple in eastern IA and MO if I can. Its a fun little project that gives anyone an excuse to fly!

I have knocked out many of them, in my own personal challenge. But no photo, so it didn't happen :)

I have knocked out many of them, in my own personal challenge. But no photo, so it didn't happen :)

I feel your pain ,as I was logging airports before getting active in op fly,thems the brakes.

With 295 airports listed in Alaska and 37 claimed so far means 87% of the airports are available to be claimed.
You are headed for "fertile claiming" territory !

Not going to be much help in Alaska,my little liberty is really not meant of this kind of flying,but it was worth the trip.

Not going to be much help in Alaska,my little liberty is really not meant of this kind of flying,but it was worth the trip.

Does your return trip take you across the panhandle of Idaho?

There are a lot of airports to be claimed in northern Idaho, northern Montana, and North Dakota.

Been a while since this thread was updated - even though it was meant for Christmas 2013, as of Christmas eve 2014, according to http://www.operationfly.com:

2929 airports claimed out of 4766 - or about 61.46%

I'm hoping to claim a few more in 2015.

What a fun idea. On a similar note, does any other states have this program to encourage GA flying? http://www.pilotsnd.com/fly-nd-airports/

I have gotten my stamp at a few through that program, but just found out about this one today, so I guess I will need to revisit some :)

I thought we had reached the 60% . Will have to get back to it in Jan.

We haven't progressed much lately,with all the pilots on this forum ,we should be able to get more airports. Rather than talking,we should be flying and logging airports. Just my opinion.

Just claimed one :) Hopefully it gets accepted

Back