60% by Christmas !

dakota-cowboy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dakota-cowboy
http://www.operationfly.com/contact

Here is a flying goal for the PoA frequent readers; take the percentage of airports claimed on Operation Fly from 56.88% to 60% by Christmas, That is only 152 airports or just 3 airports claimed by 51 pilots.

With 2095 airports left to be claimed there has to be 3 close by your area.

Look at the monthly stat link and see how many unclaimed airports your state has and go claim 3 of them!

60% by Christmas !

Here is a flying goal for the PoA frequent readers; take the percentage of airports claimed on Operation Fly from 56.88% to 60% by Christmas, That is only 152 airports or just 3 airports claimed by 51 pilots.

Look at the monthly stat link and see how many unclaimed airports your state has and go claim 3 of them!

60% by Christmas !

That's a great idea! Maybe (just maybe), I'll be able to contribute soon...

Barb Miller all on her own should have that many claimed by then....

Seriously though, if it wasn't for the rain forecast the next 10 days in my area I'd be claiming some more this week. Also, the nearest unclaimed fields are becoming much more distant.

If id only known about this a year ago. I have a full state of CA faa map that i put pins on every airport I've landed. Be tough to start over. But i can:D

I just registered and was surprised at how many are available in my area. I'm also surprised at how many PoA'ers are high on the list of those with most airports claimed. Kent, Nick, Diana, Scott, Grant & Leslie, etc. You guys have been focused!

I, on the other hand, had forgotten this site even existed.

I think this is an outstanding goal!

I was there for the Very First Claim, by our fine friend, Mike Schneider, whom we have sadly lost since then.

Time, then, to go out and claim a few more.

Don't worry about starting over just return to Palmdale (KPMD) and Jacumba (L78) and Holtville (LO4). Fort Bidwell (A28) would be more suited for someone in Oregon. Claim those 3 and CA will almost be completed.

Don't worry about starting over just return to Palmdale (KPMD) and Jacumba (L78) and Holtville (LO4). Fort Bidwell (A28) would be more suited for someone in Oregon. Claim those 3 and CA will almost be completed.

Fort Bidwell is on my list of airports to attempt (along with Malin in Oregon (4S7) which is right on the border of Oregon and California.)

Is there a way to remove the ones that closed? KISZ is still on the Ohio listing but it'd be impossible to claim that one since it's now closed. :(

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Cincinnati-Blue_Ash_Airport?o=2800&qsrc=999

I'll talk to Dale - I wrote a procedure that should still exist in the source code to parse the FAA's airport list and update it.

Its a PITA, but it sounds like it needs to be done.

Note - the hardest part was finding a way to keep old airports that were claimed and have now closed, but dump those that were never claimed...I bet its probably written very poorly too...

Last edited:
@Skyhog - thanks for acknowledging. Considering PoA is pilots all over the country I'm sure we could let whomever know which ones are closed ourselves. Isn't the webpage just a html list that can be deleted?

@Skyhog - thanks for acknowledging. Considering PoA is pilots all over the country I'm sure we could let whomever know which ones are closed ourselves. Isn't the webpage just a html list that can be deleted?

Not at all - it is heavily backed by a database that drives most of the interactions on the site - including logins, claims, photo submissions, approvals, points, etc.

Much better to drive it from the FAA's perspective, since there are north of 4500 airports that all need to be validated.

Thanks for the reminder. Lots of them around me that I hope to claim shortly!

Thanks Haven't been on he site in awhile,just downloaded claim form. Will try to help out.

Thanks for the reminder. Lots of them around me that I hope to claim shortly!

With 48 waiting to be claimed in Illinois, you could make a big difference in getting your state's airports all visited.

Thanks Haven't been on he site in awhile,just downloaded claim form. Will try to help out.

Forecast for tomorrow looks favorable in most parts of the country for claiming airports. With 7 Saturdays until Christmas, we need to see about 21-22 airports a week being claimed to make the 60% by Christmas.

I need to get back to doing this. I would have never experienced an AstroTurf runway if it weren't for Operation Fly. ;)

Here is a shout out to Joe Young. Made his first Operation FLY airport claim this past week at KIXD. Joe is helping move the number closer to 60% by Christmas.

Just remember, y'all... those pictures HAVE TO have some airport feature (sign, FBO, anything) and HAVE TO have some kind of Operation Fly sign in the picture, or be done with the mobile app. I don't care how pretty the airplane or the girl is, gotta have the sign. Random picture of a person next to a plane that could just as easily have been taken at home won't cut it.

I signed up and took a look. Not much left around me.

Looks like your in a prime spot to claim those just listed above plus KMRC, M29, MA1 KUOX and others. Northern Alabama looks ripe for your arrival.

Go for it ! :yes:

Just remember, y'all... those pictures HAVE TO have some airport feature (sign, FBO, anything) and HAVE TO have some kind of Operation Fly sign in the picture, or be done with the mobile app. I don't care how pretty the airplane or the girl is, gotta have the sign. Random picture of a person next to a plane that could just as easily have been taken at home won't cut it.

Just read your post over in Classifieds. I was hoping that you were going to wrap up the eastern Nebraska 12 or so claims. Hope the LSA works out great for you.

Its a PITA, but it sounds like it needs to be done.

Nick, while you are doing this, please consider ADDING B18, Alton Bay, NH. Yes, it is a seaplane base, but during the winter (read a few weeks in the middle of February) Alton Bay opens as an Iceport, weather permitting. It is an officially sanctioned airport in New Hampshire and I for one would like to claim it for all GA pilots who have been there!

-Skip

Nick, while you are doing this, please consider ADDING B18, Alton Bay, NH. Yes, it is a seaplane base, but during the winter (read a few weeks in the middle of February) Alton Bay opens as an Iceport, weather permitting. It is an officially sanctioned airport in New Hampshire and I for one would like to claim it for all GA pilots who have been there!

-Skip

Your going to have a tough time getting a picture showing your at Alton bay,unless ice fishing shacks count.

I'm new to this adventure. Do I understand that a pic taken with the Android app is all that's needed? No extra signage, etc?

I'm new to this adventure. Do I understand that a pic taken with the Android app is all that's needed? No extra signage, etc?

Something with the keyword needs to be in the picture;
"Your airport claim is made on this web site and must include a photograph which identifies the airport in some way and has the challenge key word visible. The challenge key word is "Operation: Fly," although "Go Fly America" can be substituted if so desired. A printable sheet you can use in your photographs can be found here, but you can make your own as well. Just remember that the password must appear in the airport photo or the claim can not be approved."
The complete rules are here:

http://www.operationfly.com/rules

Something with the keyword needs to be in the picture;
"Your airport claim is made on this web site and must include a photograph which identifies the airport in some way and has the challenge key word visible. The challenge key word is "Operation: Fly," although "Go Fly America" can be substituted if so desired. A printable sheet you can use in your photographs can be found here, but you can make your own as well. Just remember that the password must appear in the airport photo or the claim can not be approved."
The complete rules are here:

http://www.operationfly.com/rules

Yes, I read all those, I just thought I saw somewhere that the app eliminated the signage....assuming it grabbed GPS location data and maybe watermarked the image with the Operation: Fly info. So I assume the app only facilitates the submission process?

Yes, I read all those, I just thought I saw somewhere that the app eliminated the signage....assuming it grabbed GPS location data and maybe watermarked the image with the Operation: Fly info. So I assume the app only facilitates the submission process?

Sorry - misunderstood your original post. Didn't realize there was an app. This thread seems to confirm you only need the app:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45862

I could claim about 20 or so, if it wasnt for the pictures required.

60% by Christmas !

Wonderful, I didn't know this was still going on. Hopefully I can claim a few between the rain showers.

I could claim about 20 or so, if it wasnt for the pictures required.

Let us know how the picture is a problem and we'll see how POA can help you. Where ever you are- it would great to get those 20 claims so that the 60% goal can be reached by Christmas

Let us know how the picture is a problem and we'll see how POA can help you. Where ever you are- it would great to get those 20 claims so that the 60% goal can be reached by Christmas

Its a problem because I dont typically have a camera with me, so can't Claim the airport, even if I remembered. How about a photo of the logbook entry?

Its a problem because I dont typically have a camera with me, so can't Claim the airport, even if I remembered. How about a photo of the logbook entry?

That seems easy enough, between now and Christmas take a camera along. Print off the Operation: FLY 8x11 and leave it in the plane.
Down load the airport photo, make a brief statement of the location, and move the number closer to 60% by Christmas.

Rules don't allow you to claim the airport that your based at but go get all the ones near by.

That seems easy enough, between now and Christmas take a camera along. Print off the Operation: FLY 8x11 and leave it in the plane.
Down load the airport photo, make a brief statement of the location, and move the number closer to 60% by Christmas.

Rules don't allow you to claim the airport that your based at but go get all the ones near by.

I think that is the reasons your claims are low though, why the photo? I could certainly claim 20 or so by the end of the year, but won't be stopping to take a picture at them all. The app should be able to get the GPS coordinates, if the fear of people faking it is the issue.

My android tablet doesn't have a rear camera, and students might not appreciate the waste of time of a photo op.

I think that is the reasons your claims are low though, why the photo? I could certainly claim 20 or so by the end of the year, but won't be stopping to take a picture at them all. The app should be able to get the GPS coordinates, if the fear of people faking it is the issue.

My android tablet doesn't have a rear camera, and students might not appreciate the waste of time of a photo op.

Here is a crazy idea, when your students plan their cross country legs help them include unclaimed airports that they can claim. It would make for a little extra adventure for them.

Back