60% by Christmas !

Don't see a problem ,now that the weather is changing. Heading north next week see how many I can pick up.

I'm planning on getting an unclaimed airport tomorrow~!
tom

I'll see what I can work on. I have a few in mind.

Starting north in the am for ma from fla . Should do well if weather is good.

It seems that Operationfly.com is down right now.

It's back just logged some airports on my way north.

I finally had a nice day that I didn't have to work on. I landed at 6 new to me airports to add to the list. I would have had one more (Ft Belnap, U09) but when I flew over there were a bunch of modular homes on the runway. They looked semi-permanent. There was no notam about them.

60% by this Christmas should be no problem.hope to pick up a bunch this summer myself.

Geeze, I wish I knew about this before now. I've landed at half of the unclaimed Oklahoma airports. Oh well, that will give me something fun to do after I take delivery of my new plane in a few weeks, which is located at an unclaimed airport.

Geeze, I wish I knew about this before now. I've landed at half of the unclaimed Oklahoma airports. Oh well, that will give me something fun to do after I take delivery of my new plane in a few weeks, which is located at an unclaimed airport.

Know how you feel ,had over 180 airports before I started claiming. Well just have to go to a bunch again. There's plenty left to get.

Out flying around hope to pick up a couple,flew to one, runway closed. Should have read the notam,will get it next month.

It would be great fun to go to Hawaii on holiday, rent a Cherokee and claim one or more of the 14 airports there. The webpage monthly stats is probably mistaken that 9 of 22 have been claimed there. Perhaps Barb could claim all 14 on her next holiday?

40 claims in May 2014. Last time there were that many claims was in March 2012.

May was a good month for moving the percentage marker. On May 1st it sat at 57.7% but by June 9th it sits at 58.36%. With only 80 claims needed to reach 60%, the goal should be reached long before Christmas. Could happen by Halloween.

Just a heads up - the percentage will likely be changing soon - I'll be slapping the site into maintenance mode and applying an airport database update this evening. I'll make sure to provide updates on the before/after numbers.

Ok - some numbers:

Before:
Total Airports: 4858
Claimed Airports: 2837
Percentage: 58.40%

After:
Total Airports: 4767
Percentage: 59.51

PLEASE let me know if anything is not working as it was before - I took backups immediately before the update and can restore if necessary.

Last edited:
I just asked Dale to consider removing KPMD from the list of airports because, while it is technically open to the public, it is a military airport that can only be flown into on official business and only with prior permission.

The latest update to the database has KPMD correctly listed as "MA" - Air Force Owned, and has thus been removed from the claimable list of airports automatically.

It would be great fun to go to Hawaii on holiday, rent a Cherokee and claim one or more of the 14 airports there. The webpage monthly stats is probably mistaken that 9 of 22 have been claimed there. Perhaps Barb could claim all 14 on her next holiday?

Looks like Hawaii has 23 airports now, none of them claimed.

I have absolutely no idea how PHHF is going to wind up getting claimed. Looks like it is an awfully long ways out there. Even stranger is that looking at a satellite photo it seems that airport is the only thing on the island...that can't be right.

Edit: Upon further research, I'm going to go ahead and manually close that airport. It looks like it serves no purpose other than as an emergency landing spot on the way between Hawaii and Midway Atoll. I don't want to see anyone get injured doing something stupid.

Ok - some numbers:

Before:
Total Airports: 4858
Percentage: 58.40%

After:
Total Airports: 4779
Percentage: 59.36

PLEASE let me know if anything is not working as it was before - I took backups immediately before the update and can restore if necessary.

In California, Airnav lists KNUQ, CA13, CA84, 60CL, and 00ca as all being private use. They are shown as being available for claims. Oregon looks OK.

In California, Airnav lists KNUQ, CA13, CA84, 60CL, and 00ca as all being private use. They are shown as being available for claims. Oregon looks OK.

I have manually closed each of these. I'm not sure why there's a discrepency, as we use the same data source. I wonder if AirNav has updated yet, as the data is only a few days old right now....I'll keep an eye on these and see if I need to reopen.

I also hid "GLIDERPORTS" as that appears to be a fairly new classification of landing zones in the data (at least, new within the last 2 years).

May was a good month for moving the percentage marker. On May 1st it sat at 57.7% but by June 9th it sits at 58.36%. With only 80 claims needed to reach 60%, the goal should be reached long before Christmas. Could happen by Halloween.

Looks like we only need 24 to go now with the updated airport database to get there...

If I am receiving dual instruction but I am the sole manipulator of the controls, can I claim it?

I wonder if my instructor will let me land by myself tomorrow, heck, it will be my second lesson, I am practically a pro already!.......lol :lol:

If I am receiving dual instruction but I am the sole manipulator of the controls, can I claim it?
Hello Mike in Alabama,
Remember there is the detail of not claiming your home airport.

Under the Q and A section :

"I noticed that I cannot claim or target my home airport. Why not? I have to fly into that airport some time!

Your home airport must be targeted and or claimed by someone else. While you do have to fly home eventually, its not the same as someone leaving their home airport to come visit yours. That's the whole idea behind the ConUS Challenge, to encourage pilots to go visit airports they may not have gone to otherwise."

So 1A9 Prattville-Grouby Field needs to be claimed by someone not based there. But it looks like 08A and 0A8 as well as 61A would each welcome your visit and claim.

Success to you with that first landing !!

I have two home airports and have not claimed either,there are more than enough airports to visit once your on your own. Just another fun flying quest.

Hello Mike in Alabama,
Remember there is the detail of not claiming your home airport.

Under the Q and A section :

"I noticed that I cannot claim or target my home airport. Why not? I have to fly into that airport some time!

Your home airport must be targeted and or claimed by someone else. While you do have to fly home eventually, its not the same as someone leaving their home airport to come visit yours. That's the whole idea behind the ConUS Challenge, to encourage pilots to go visit airports they may not have gone to otherwise."

So 1A9 Prattville-Grouby Field needs to be claimed by someone not based there. But it looks like 08A and 0A8 as well as 61A would each welcome your visit and claim.

Success to you with that first landing !!

Foiled again. I had missed that, thanks. I will suggest 08a if it fits into the lesson plan.

Just checked into operation fly,and I see Barb is on the move again. The 60% goal should be no problem !if we give her a little help.

Just checked into operation fly,and I see Barb is on the move again. The 60% goal should be no problem !if we give her a little help.

Barb's sign indicates she is California bound. Perhaps she will clean up L78 Jacumba and L04 Holtville and then California will be in "Claimed" column.

60% by this Christmas should be no problem.hope to pick up a bunch this summer myself.

GO FLY AMERICA !

Operation: FLY AMERICA

4th of July is a great day to reach this goal !

Looks like it will happen tomorrow-JULY 4th !!!!

Barb's sign indicates she is California bound. Perhaps she will clean up L78 Jacumba and L04 Holtville and then California will be in "Claimed" column.

Airnav has a comment "AIRPORT CLOSED INDEFINITELY" for L04. If you look at satellite views of its runways you'll see they are marked with white X symbols indicating closure. Description of runway surfaces sound pretty bad.

To steal a phrase from "2010":
"All these airports are yours, except Holtville. Attempt no landing there."

If someone can confirm L04 is closed, I will manually close it. Looks like there was a comment issued, but the FAA data still shows it open

If someone can confirm L04 is closed, I will manually close it. Looks like there was a comment issued, but the FAA data still shows it open

Check the comments under "General Remarks" on the FAA's NFDC airport lookup page:

https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/airportLookup/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=L04

Technically operational, but airport indefinitely closed. Comments in the "Runways" section describe non-trivial damage. Surface condition "Failed". I think someone in a helicopter or STOL may still be able to safely claim it. ;)

She does appear to be heading southwesterly. I plugged her last claimed airports in WingX and got this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 99
Back