60% by Christmas !

I appreciate what you are trying to do, I really do. I am just pointing out that many of us have been to many of the airports, but simply cannot claim them due to the photo requirement. I signed up a couple years ago and haven't claimed one yet.

I have landed at several of the Florida airports ,in my quest to see how many airports in the country I can land at. Never took a picture but have them in my log book. Also have an I phone and I pad is there an app that works on them?

I have landed at several of the Florida airports ,in my quest to see how many airports in the country I can land at. Never took a picture but have them in my log book. Also have an I phone and I pad is there an app that works on them?

Yes, but you need to take a picture at each.

I appreciate what you are trying to do, I really do. I am just pointing out that many of us have been to many of the airports, but simply cannot claim them due to the photo requirement. I signed up a couple years ago and haven't claimed one yet.

It seems that most recreational pilots don't fly much after the first few years because they are bored with local flying. Seems that the whole $100 Saturday breakfast deal is an excuse to go somewhere in a plane that they don't fly enough as it is.

I have just been trying to increase awareness that there is still a "game" available that gives the week -end fly jockey an excuse to get their plane out and go somewhere that he/she would not typically go.

It gives me a reason to get the piper out and I have been to airports in 8 states that I would otherwise never have visited.

The game policies are not mine, I am actually a late comer, but I appreciate all the efforts, time and administrative heartburn that the organizers and webmasters have and do spend to keep it online.

Have the cell phone for camera,what's theI phone app?

Have the cell phone for camera,what's theI phone app?

I don't know if iPhone has an app, but you don't really need an app. Just take the picture with the words "Operation:Fly" in it. (Some people have even written on their hand if they don't have paper, be creative) The use the internet on the iPhone just like you would with the computer. You can make it as simple or exotic as you want.

I really appreciate when someone writes something about the airport and/or area. I've stopped at a few of the airports based on the reports.

My goal is to claim 10 percent of the airports. WHEN I reach that, I might just go for another 10%. Anyone who is looking for a reason to get some more cross country time or looking for something fun to do while flying ought to try making some claims. You can also submit claims on already claimed airports. Get out an Explore. It really is kind of fun.

Barb

Tried to get two airports in Florida but it was IMC. Did go to Venice kvnc sent picture and posted info on runway change.

Maybe there's a solution here - what is the difficult part of the photo requirement? I know when it first started, there was a lot of complaints because not many people had cell phones with cameras. I think these days that is pretty rare....

Is it a matter of forgetting to take the picture, or is there something that keeps pilots from taking photos?

Maybe there's a solution here - what is the difficult part of the photo requirement? I know when it first started, there was a lot of complaints because not many people had cell phones with cameras. I think these days that is pretty rare....

Is it a matter of forgetting to take the picture, or is there something that keeps pilots from taking photos?

I think it's having the paper and finding the name of the airport in some locations.

Since I am trying to see how many airports I can fly into in the US, I will start taking pictures and posting as visited airports.

I really appreciate when someone writes something about the airport and/or area. I've stopped at a few of the airports based on the reports.

My goal is to claim 10 percent of the airports. WHEN I reach that, I might just go for another 10%. Anyone who is looking for a reason to get some more cross country time or looking for something fun to do while flying ought to try making some claims. You can also submit claims on already claimed airports. Get out an Explore. It really is kind of fun.

Barb

Well Barb, it looks like you may have to lead the way again if this goal is going to make 60% by Christmas.

Just remember, y'all... those pictures HAVE TO have some airport feature (sign, FBO, anything) and HAVE TO have some kind of Operation Fly sign in the picture, or be done with the mobile app. I don't care how pretty the airplane or the girl is, gotta have the sign. Random picture of a person next to a plane that could just as easily have been taken at home won't cut it.

Dale, did the pending claim in Florida miss one of the required elements for a successful claim?

What foes this mean, I checked out the site what is claiming an airport? You landed there?

What does this mean, I checked out the site what is claiming an airport? You landed there?

Objective: Land at and document each public use airport in the United States, and have a ton of fun along the way. Promote General Aviation in every way to benefit pilots everywhere
Rules
This is not a contest, it is a challenge. We all want to work together as a group of pilots to accomplish the objective. There are no awards for claiming the most airports, but the more you claim the more you help the cause.
1). You must be sole manipulator of the controls of the aircraft when it lands in order to claim an airport.

2). The flight must be conducted under part 91, part 103 or part 135 rules.

3). You must register on this web site to claim an airport. If you haven't registered already, you may do so here.

4). Your airport claim is made on this web site and must include a photograph which identifies the airport in some way and has the challenge key word visible. The challenge key word is "Operation: Fly," although "Go Fly America" can be substituted if so desired. A printable sheet you can use in your photographs can be found here, but you can make your own as well. Just remember that the password must appear in the airport photo or the claim can not be approved.

Just added one in mass and visited two that where claimed.

Just added one in mass and visited two that were claimed.

Congratulations on getting started.
With only 14 left in Massachusetts hopefully you can enjoy a large loop and make the claims.

Fort Bidwell is on my list of airports to attempt (along with Malin in Oregon (4S7) which is right on the border of Oregon and California.)

Last Saturday was just flat out frigid. This Saturday should be warmer and better flying. Just 11 flying days left before Christmas......it's going to take an extra effort from a lot of flyers to reach 60% by Christmas now.

Last Saturday was just flat out frigid. This Saturday should be warmer and better flying. Just 11 flying days left before Christmas......it's going to take an extra effort from a lot of flyers to reach 60% by Christmas now.

Have had snow and below freezing here for the last week. It is finally warming, but now spotty fog forecast. Malin and Fort Bidwell are likely under snow and will stay that way for a while (no snow removal at Bidwell.) I might find time to claim some of the half dozen grass fields unclaimed around Portland OR. Or not - weather and work may conspire against it happening, alas.

But I'll be digging a trench deeper ths Saturday - no flying this weekend.

Well, the goal to bring the claim percentage to 60% by Christmas of the airports on www.operationfly.com was not attained.

However, there are several pilots new to the activity now participating and one can only assume that Barb will be back in the air soon.

With 82 airports in Montana waiting to be claimed, the top claim master will move the percentage upward to be sure.

Just added two in fla yesterday CHN xo6. Will start working on fla now that I'm here for the winter.

Was wondering how many POA pilots are participating in operation fly?

Got a couple of more in Fla. Last week.

Good work. Hasn't been much decent VFR weather in my part of the country (Oregon) to do any fun flying. Fog for weeks on end, followed by snow and freezing rain, followed by heavy rains and wind. Maybe a break next week.

Don't worry about starting over just return to Palmdale (KPMD) and Jacumba (L78) and Holtville (LO4). Fort Bidwell (A28) would be more suited for someone in Oregon. Claim those 3 and CA will almost be completed.

I managed to fly into Fort Bidwell (A28) today (a bumpy 2 hour flight from Creswell, OR (77S)) and have submitted a claim for it. That leaves just 3 California airports, all in south, to be claimed to complete the state.

Fort Bidwell was the first airport (of 10 so far) I've flown into where I couldn't find a sign or anything else to identify it, so took several photos of anything that might uniquely identify it (attached below because after 4 hours of flying I wanted something to remember the effort. I submitted the one with the airplane in it.) According to Airnav A28 gets about 10 operations a year; maybe one a month. But no one appeared to award me "airplane landing of the month" (it was a gusting crosswind.) I've always been partial to that sort of semi-barren isolated terrain.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 15
I managed to fly into Fort Bidwell (A28) today (a bumpy 2 hour flight from Creswell, OR (77S)) and have submitted a claim for it. That leaves just 3 California airports, all in south, to be claimed to complete the state.

Great job Jim ! Your claim was like claiming 25% of CA. Sorta like it at least.

Now if someone in southern CAL or southwest AZ would clean up those last 3 in CA. CA could join WY, RI, and DE as being 100% claimed.

Now only 118 airports to claim to make 60% by Christmas 2014

Great job Jim ! Your claim was like claiming 25% of CA. Sorta like it at least.

Nothing like it, but thanks for the sentiment. I believe Peter Yee has the honor of claiming a good portion of CA.

Now if someone in southern CAL or southwest AZ would clean up those last 3 in CA. CA could join WY, RI, and DE as being 100% claimed.

Now only 118 airports to claim to make 60% by Christmas 2014
I just asked Dale to consider removing KPMD from the list of airports because, while it is technically open to the public, it is a military airport that can only be flown into on official business and only with prior permission.

I wish I would've seen this site earlier. There are a ton of airports around me (KLBE) to claim. I've been to 8 of the ones that still aren't claimed. I'll have to make the rounds while I'm building up my x-c time for my instrument rating.

Yet another reason to fly, like we need that anyway.

Nothing like it, but thanks for the sentiment. I believe Peter Yee has the honor of claiming a good portion of CA.

I just asked Dale to consider removing KPMD from the list of airports because, while it is technically open to the public, it is a military airport that can only be flown into on official business and only with prior permission.
Dale has no idea how to update the airports list. I've been looking looking for someone (anyone) who is interested in taking over running the site. So far no takers.

I agreed to take over hosting the site, because I was under the mistaken impression that there were others involved. That was not the case. As much as I'd like to see some improvements, I simply don't have the time to dig into the back end software for the site to maintain it and make changes.

Dale has no idea how to update the airports list. I've been looking looking for someone (anyone) who is interested in taking over running the site. So far no takers.

I agreed to take over hosting the site, because I was under the mistaken impression that there were others involved. That was not the case. As much as I'd like to see some improvements, I simply don't have the time to dig into the back end software for the site to maintain it and make changes.

I'm willing to assist or even take over. Do you know what the backend is implemented in?

Thanks for taking over Dale,hope Jim can help you out. I can do the flying,not very good with computers.

I'm willing to assist or even take over. Do you know what the backend is implemented in?
Big steaming pile of PHP with a MySQL database. I can tweak PHP here and there, but this stuff is way beyond my ability or desire to slog through. And yes, I could probably go in and make individual one-off changes to the airport database, but it needs more than that.

So, I've been approving claims, and not much else.

Is there anyway to load the app on an I pad . I fly alone so sometimes it's hard to get a good picture. Thanks Ron

There's no i-thingie app, although you're welcome to write one if you want.

May 1st update on the goal. Presently at 57.7%
60% by Christmas is very reachable now only 112 airports need be claimed to reach the goal.

Back