6 people presumed dead after helicopter crashes in California's Mojave Desert en route to Las Vegas area

I see wires along the road on the sectional but satellite doesn’t show anything around the accident site.
Might be they went lower than 200 feet or possibly hit wires on the way down after whatever happened, happened. I'd still like to know if the 130 had an inlet filter or separator installed.

Whatevs. They're going into the same brain space as spiders. Ain't right.
So I guess you would have never volunteered for this unit or its current version? :rolleyes:

1707838527027.png
1707838952506.png

I see wires along the road on the sectional but satellite doesn’t show anything around the accident site. Some high tension wires cross I15 about 5 miles prior to the site.
Doing the Google Maps drive along I-15, there’s a set of small power lines that cross I-15 about 1/2 mile west of the Halloran Springs Rd interchange. There are also small power (or some other type of utility) lines on the SE side of I-15 at the Halloran Springs Rd interchange. All of these are on poles about 30 ft high. I suspect any downed power lines were a result of the crash rather than the cause.

Might be they went lower than 200 feet or possibly hit wires on the way down after whatever happened, happened. I'd still like to know if the 130 had an inlet filter or separator installed.

So I guess you would have never volunteered for this unit or its current version? :rolleyes:

View attachment 125363
View attachment 125365
They use a modified particle separator for snow? Not a deflector?

For 2/9/24 at Halloran Springs, sunset was 17:19 PST and moonset was 17:14 PST (largely irrelevant as 2/9 was a new moon). The second NTSB briefing noted that its meteorologist confirmed witness and CHP reports of a moderate rain/snow mix at the time and location of the accident.

Flight crew identified, ages 22 and 25. Both appear to have held helicopter commercial/instrument ratings.

Looking at terrain contours along I-15 from about 2 mi W to 4 mi E of Halloran Springs, terrain is rising at about 250 feet per mile; i.e., over that stretch of I-15, elevation changes from 2500 to 4000 feet.

Back