6 cylinder rotary engine

Very interesting. Do you know who made it? All of the rotary engines I'm familiar with that had an even number of cylinders had two rows of odd number of cylinders (like radials) in order to get the "every other cylinder" firing order.

Double crank, close tolerance out of plane connecting rods?

2 stroke, may be the earliest American supercharged engine in existence.

JAK_4114.jpg

Pretty cool, it looks like it's on the original stand.

Dudes! I dunno what makes 'em go, I just fly 'em. . .

Fascinating.
I would love to see some details on this engine.
Imagine what it could have done in WWI if they had kept up development.
I'll be at the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome tomorrow, and will (hopefully) get to see some rotary engines in action.

Very interesting, 5.28 lbs/hp...:rolleyes: Thanks for the post @Cap'n Jack
I've been to the Air and Space Museum 4 times, my last visit was in the late 90's..:(

Last edited:
After a little digging...

https://archive.org/stream/airplaneenginee00anglgoog/airplaneenginee00anglgoog_djvu.txt

MURRAY-WILLAT

The Murray-Willat Company built their first valveless rotary engine during 1910. These engines operated on the two-stroke cycle. A blower, integrally incorporated in the engine, compressed the air and forced fuel into the engine for the purpose of improving the performance at altitude. At the bottom of each cylinder were open exhaust ports which permitted complete scavenging, and the blowing of a blast of fresh air across the piston at the end of each stroke. The cylinders were turned from forged-steel billets. In addition to the large exhaust ports, there were small inlet ports that registered with deflectors provided on each side at the top of the piston. These directed the charge toward the top of the cylinder and thus prevented it from escaping through the exhaust ports before the piston had closed all ports on its upward stroke.

The crankcase was machined from solid steel forgings, the two halves clamping the cylinders in place between them. The connecting rods were mounted in a spool that was carried on two ball bearings. The crankshaft was made hollow for the purpose of providing a passage for the gas mixture from the blower into the crankcase where a pressure of 7 lbs. was maintained. Ignition was provided by a magneto.

Murray-Willat 90-h.p. Model

Following the experimentation with this type of engine, the Murray-Willat Company built two six-cylinder models. The smaller engine, which was rated 35 h.p. at 1200 r.p.m., had a 75 mm. (2,95 in.) bore, 90 mm. (3.54 in.) stroke, and a total displacement of 145.68 cu. in. The gasoline consumption was said to be .615 lbs. per h.p-hr,. and the oil consumption 2.8 lbs. per hr. The overall diameter was 25.98 in., and the
weight was reported to be 132.3 lbs., or 3.8 lbs. per rated h.p.

A larger model, rated 90 h.p. at 1200 r.p.m., had a 100 mm. (3.94 in.) bore, 130 mm. (5.12 in.) stroke, and a total displacement of 374.52 cu. in. The gasoline consumption was said to be .411 lbs. per h.p-hr.. and the oil consumption 2.3 lbs. per hr. The outside diameter was 29.0 in., and the complete weight was said to be 260 lbs., or 2.88 lbs. per rated h.p.

Sadly, nothing about having an even number of cylinders in a single row and cylinder ignition sequence. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Last edited:
After a little digging...

https://archive.org/stream/airplaneenginee00anglgoog/airplaneenginee00anglgoog_djvu.txt

MURRAY-WILLAT

The Murray-Willat Company built their first valveless rotary engine during 1910. These engines operated on the two-stroke cycle. A blower, integrally incorporated in the engine, compressed the air and forced fuel into the engine for the purpose of improving the performance at altitude. At the bottom of each cylinder were open exhaust ports which permitted complete scavenging, and the blowing of a blast of fresh air across the piston at the end of each stroke. The cylinders were turned from forged-steel billets. In addition to the large exhaust ports, there were small inlet ports that registered with deflectors provided on each side at the top of the piston. These directed the charge toward the top of the cylinder and thus prevented it from escaping through the exhaust ports before the piston had closed all ports on its upward stroke.

The crankcase was machined from solid steel forgings, the two halves clamping the cylinders in place between them. The connecting rods were mounted in a spool that was carried on two ball bearings. The crankshaft was made hollow for the purpose of providing a passage for the gas mixture from the blower into the crankcase where a pressure of 7 lbs. was maintained. Ignition was provided by a magneto.

Murray-Willat 90-h.p. Model

Following the experimentation with this type of engine, the Murray-Willat Company built two six-cylinder models. The smaller engine, which was rated 35 h.p. at 1200 r.p.m., had a 75 mm. (2,95 in.) bore, 90 mm. (3.54 in.) stroke, and a total displacement of 145.68 cu. in. The gasoline consumption was said to be .615 lbs. per h.p-hr,. and the oil consumption 2.8 lbs. per hr. The overall diameter was 25.98 in., and the
weight was reported to be 132.3 lbs., or 3.8 lbs. per rated h.p.

A larger model, rated 90 h.p. at 1200 r.p.m., had a 100 mm. (3.94 in.) bore, 130 mm. (5.12 in.) stroke, and a total displacement of 374.52 cu. in. The gasoline consumption was said to be .411 lbs. per h.p-hr.. and the oil consumption 2.3 lbs. per hr. The outside diameter was 29.0 in., and the complete weight was said to be 260 lbs., or 2.88 lbs. per rated h.p.

Sadly, nothing about having an even number of cylinders in a single row and cylinder ignition sequence. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

It’s a two stroke engine. Every cylinder fires once every revolution.

Back