59 years later, Hurricane Irma uncovers pilot of crashed plane

I hope the family can have closure now.

RIP Lt. William Thomas Barry Troy. You have not been forgotten.

Wow. I'm very happy for the brother to get this closure.

59 years later, Hurricane Irma uncovers pilot of crashed plane?? Where did that headline come from?

The article states: "The findings include parachute rigging, some metal pieces and a parachute harness with the words "Lt. (P) Troy" inscribed on it."

I did not see where any of the pilot's actual remains were located. This is no different than them finding his helmet and a wheel from the plane back in 1958.

One story says he crashed on take off out of Mayport, the other says he departed the carrier and crashed on arrival???

Either way, good to hear they got some closure on his death. Back in the mid 90s, we had an a two seat F-18 go down off of SC without a trace. Sometimes I wonder if something will wash up shore one day.

He had departed from the Canadian Navy aircraft carrier HMCS Bonaventure.

The headline is:
Canadian pilot's family finds closure after Hurricane Irma washes up debris 59 years later

The title of the thread is referring metaphorically to evidence that provides the family with closure (in other words, the recent bits and pieces serve the same function as finding human remains).

59 years later, Hurricane Irma uncovers pilot of crashed plane?? Where did that headline come from?

The article states: "The findings include parachute rigging, some metal pieces and a parachute harness with the words "Lt. (P) Troy" inscribed on it."

I did not see where any of the pilot's actual remains were located. This is no different than them finding his helmet and a wheel from the plane back in 1958.

The article also states; "The fact that the chute was never deployed means it was very quick."

If he was killed on impact he didn't remove the harness. I'd expect to find that harness wrapped around some human remains wearing a flight suit.

The article also states; "The fact that the chute was never deployed means it was very quick."

If he was killed on impact he didn't remove the harness. I'd expect to find that harness wrapped around some human remains wearing a flight suit.
I doubt the harness was cinched tight enough to hold onto bones.

How’s that relevant?

Dude, seriously? If he died with the harness properly cinched about himself there should be some human remains and remains of the clothing he was wearing with the remains of the harness.

Dude, seriously? If he died with the harness properly cinched about himself there should be some human remains and remains of the clothing he was wearing with the remains of the harness.
After this many years in a marine environment I would assume the likelihood of his bones being anywhere near his harness and parachute to be almost nil.

Bones don't drift like a harness will.

I'm not sure I'm up to teaching you basic elementary school science up to fundamental newtonian physics.

I agree you're not up to teaching those things but that's okay as that's not what's called for here. All you have to to is explain your understanding of the events.

Back