57 Alpha Cafe at FQD Needs Your Help!!!!

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
Hey folks. I know many of you in the Carolinas and elsewhere frequent the 57 Alpha Cafe in Rutherfordton so I thought I would make you aware of something. The airport has been doing some repaving work on the main ramp and Taxiway A and those areas have been closed for a couple of months. They hope to finish up in a couple of weeks. I was in there on Saturday for lunch and was talking to Ron, the owner of the cafe. He says his business has been down about 90% during this construction as it has made things a bit inconvenient for pilots coming in.

So, if you need a place to fly for lunch in the near future, I'm sure Ron would really appreciate the business. We need to keep these sort of businesses thriving if we can.

already a thread on this. also, I flew in yesterday, walked in the front door at 1:40, he said he wasn't cooking anything else, so no lunch for eman. and there is one...…….ONE taxiway from the runway open, and one twy to the ramp open, and that's it. the whole south ramp is closed. it's doable, just make sure u know the only way off the rwy is here:

upload_2018-7-30_17-1-19.png

With this rain I’m wondering if I’ll fly anywhere without having to file...:mad2:

Yes, I the ramp situation at FQD is seriously sucking right now.

I just stopped there in the Twin Beech a couple weeks ago. I was glad I did. The food was awesome!

No good place to park, so they had me park on the side of the ramp and gave us a golf cart ride over to the restaurant. Hopefully they get the new ramp open soon.

While I agree we need to keep places like this open, I will admit this one is my least favorite. Seems pricey for a cheeseburger and half a bag of chips and a can drink. My usual spots are HKY, MTV, or BQ1.

While I agree we need to keep places like this open, I will admit this one is my least favorite. Seems pricey for a cheeseburger and half a bag of chips and a can drink. My usual spots are HKY, MTV, or BQ1.

hhmmmmmm, let's see. cheeseburger prices:

crosswind cafe HKY 6.79
57 alpha FQD 6.75 (by my calculations that's a savings of 4 cents)

since either there isn't a cheeseburger at the pig, or wtf are you doing getting a cheeseburger at the pig for, I substituted a standard pulled pork samich:

bq1 7.95

I like MTV.. havent had their burger yet, still stuck on their grilled chicken samich....
Havent been to HKY yet nor FQD... But on the list.

hhmmmmmm, let's see. cheeseburger prices:

crosswind cafe HKY 6.79
57 alpha FQD 6.75 (by my calculations that's a savings of 4 cents)

since either there isn't a cheeseburger at the pig, or wtf are you doing getting a cheeseburger at the pig for, I substituted a standard pulled pork samich:

bq1 7.95
Whoa didn't know cheeseburgers were the only option for dinning at airports... excuse me your majesty! At least at HKY you can pick from some decent sides other than lays potato chips, oh and refills...

Whoa didn't know cheeseburgers were the only option for dinning at airports... excuse me your majesty! At least at HKY you can pick from some decent sides other than lays potato chips, oh and refills...

YOU said cheeseburger, I just got the prices.

….Seems pricey for a cheeseburger....

I'm not saying FQD is anything special. it's a fun little place right at the airport with outdoor seating, but it's just food. worth checking out once in a while. the burger I had at MTV was huge and pretty darn tasty.

YOU said cheeseburger, I just got the prices.

I'm not saying FQD is anything special. it's a fun little place right at the airport with outdoor seating, but it's just food. worth checking out once in a while. the burger I had at MTV was huge and pretty darn tasty.​

How does the burger compare to the one at GMU?​

Usually pilot patronage is not a significant percentage of a small airport cafe’s business. It is the non flying folk eating there that keeps these places vibrant.

How does the burger compare to the one at GMU?​

hard to say......I've only been to MTV that one time with you and dell. burger was gooood. been to gmu a bunch of times and it ranged from 'ok' to nom nom nom nom (that's 4 nom's).

hard to say......I've only been to MTV that one time with you and dell. burger was gooood. been to gmu a bunch of times and it ranged from 'ok' to nom nom nom nom (that's 4 nom's).

Gotcha... The only time I've been to GMU, the burger I had was very tastee... Even warrants a return trip....

Usually pilot patronage is not a significant percentage of a small airport cafe’s business. It is the non flying folk eating there that keeps these places vibrant.

That is true... But I feel you have to do something different to stand out with the choice of airports that have food on the field... Dont everyone have a burger?

Screw the burger...I had the Burrito. It was excellent.

I haven’t made it to the Pig yet, but have been to HKY a few times. I was not terribly impressed.

That is true... But I feel you have to do something different to stand out with the choice of airports that have food on the field... Dont everyone have a burger?

Just searched 57A, they have a very limited menu.

Yeah the chicken burrito at 57A is excellent. So is 57A open or has he closed shop until the ramp is completed?

Screw the burger...I had the Burrito. It was excellent.

I haven’t made it to the Pig yet, but have been to HKY a few times. I was not terribly impressed.

HKY is not all that impressive compared to BQ1 or MTV. The club sandwich is impressive at MTV!

HKY is not all that impressive compared to BQ1 or MTV. The club sandwich is impressive at MTV!
MTV is pretty good. I was there back in the winter and was pleased to see they had found someone to reopen the restaurant.

MTV is pretty good. I was there back in the winter and was pleased to see they had found someone to reopen the restaurant.

so this is interesting, because I had actually heard quite a few negative responses about the restaurant at MTV, but I wonder if because it's under new ownership, things are better? I mean I was impressed with my burger, sounds like RDU enjoyed his food, and dell, well dell just eats anything you put in front of him. but maybe I'll try MTV a few more times.

For the record, I only have been to four airport diners since moving to Charlotte. They are (in order) of preference:
BQ1
GMU
FQD
HKY

But does the fact that FQD came in third make it less worthy of me encouraging folks to go there and spend some money to help it out? Hell no.

I've been to GMU once, if I recall it was pretty good, just a pain getting there through all the airspace.

The quality of food isn’t all that important to me. I can get the same or better with a quick drive to town. It’s about getting off my butt, exercising the planes and hanging out at the airport for lunch.

I never liked MTV especially their Grilled (Rubber) Chicken Sandwich... The counter girl could use a tickle to get a freak'n smile on her face too... I didn't know it changed owners...maybe I'll give it one more chance... As for Ron AT FQD, I sent out a Rescue Whistle for him several months ago and about 4 airplanes showed up to support him... I like going in there, but Ron is always singing the blues...He didn't even say thanks when we all came to show support. He needs to get out of the '80s and get a decent website and advertise his menu because it really is pretty good...

Hey, do you think we can get Sky Vector to track the price of Cheeseburgers the way they track avgas prices?

Too far for me to drive and I'm grounded until I can get me + airplane + instructor + weather to cooperate. Failed three times already...

Back