55 years ago today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember this day well as I am sure many others do too...

What I find amazing, is the distance and the clear field one has from the Grassy Knoll to the X in the middle of the street right about where the pickup is in the pitcure vs. the 6th Floor Window... Phuck, even I could have made that shot.

Nahhhh.... there was not conspiracy at all... discuss?

Last edited:
Will you all just STFU, please!!!

I didn't get a birthday cake on my 4th birthday because the family was sitting around the TV crying.

WTF? I'm four f***ing years old and it's my f***ing birthday! I didn't shoot the MF'er! Where's my f'ing birthday cake, *******?!?!

And here I thought I'd never have to hear about it again after the 50th anniversary...ohhhh...but f*** nooooooooo!!!

(I'm not bitter, no)

Last edited:
Shortly before his death I was privileged to be present when Hail to The Chief was played for JFK at MCRD San Diego.

Paul
Salome, AZ

I didn't get a birthday cake on my 4th birthday because the family was sitting around the TV crying.

WTF? I'm four-years f***ing old and it's my f***ing birthday! I didn't shoot the MF'er! Where's my f'ing birthday cake, *******?!?!

And here I thought I'd never have to hear about it again after the 50th anniversary...ohhhh...but f*** nooooooooo!!!

(I'm not bitter, no)

Wow, you sure had a potty mouth at age 4.

WTF? I'm four-years f***ing old and it's my f***ing birthday! I didn't shoot the MF'er! Where's my f'ing birthday cake, *******?!?!

(I'm not bitter, no)

Happy Birthday!:cheerswine:

Good picture.

I've taken a few work groups there after dinner. One of the things I like to do with them is to go to the column where Zapruder made his movie, pull up a stabilized version of it from YouTube and then overlay the phone on the background and watch the history. It's pretty impactful for us young'ems who weren't alive then.

(I'm not bitter, no)

Happy Birthday, Tim!! :cheerswine:

Good picture.

I've taken a few work groups there after dinner. One of the things I like to do with them is to go to the column where Zapruder made his movie, pull up a stabilized version of it from YouTube and then overlay the phone on the background and watch the history. It's pretty impactful for us young'ems who weren't alive then.

Did the same thing last time I was there for a conference....

Happy Birthday Tim.

I agree that every freakin’ year they make too big of a deal about it. How often do they mention the anniversary of Lincoln’s, McKinley’s, or Garfield’s assassinations?

Was probably on his way to beng a "middle of the pack" president, as far as historical signifigance and accomplisment. I was assigned a paper, to read "his" book "Profiles in Courage", and defend (or refute) if he would qualify for inclusion in the book. Probably not, at least not ahead of quite a few other senators.

I agree that every freakin’ year they make too big of a deal about it. How often do they mention the anniversary of Lincoln’s, McKinley’s, or Garfield’s assassinations?

How many of those were any of you alive for?

How many of those were any of you alive for?

Of course I was only alive for Kennedy but that really isn’t the point. I once asked my mom about annual coverage of McKinley’s death which was in 1901. She was born in 1927. She said that she knew about his assassination from school history class but did not recall any mention of it each year in the media or from other people. The 50th anniversary of his death would have been in 1951 when she was 24 so if there were annual news stories or any sort of continuing gnashing of teeth over McKinley’s death during her life, she would have recalled it. So it didn’t happen. However, people continue to be obsessed with JFK’s death. While I do think it’s important for young people to learn about his death as well as the others in history class, it is far past time for it to cease as a national obsession.

While I do think it’s important for young people to learn about his death as well as the others in history class, it is far past time for it to cease as a national obsession.
There are distinctions between Kennedy and McKinley (for example) that explain, if not justify, the ongoing fascination with JFK. His actual merits and accomplishments aside, JFK's "Camelot" aura had become a part of pop culture unlike any POTUS before him, and the controversies over the assassination only added to the drama.

FWIW, my first flying lesson was on 11/24/1963, the day Oswald was shot. o_O

Of course I was only alive for Kennedy but that really isn’t the point. I once asked my mom about annual coverage of McKinley’s death which was in 1901. She was born in 1927. She said that she knew about his assassination from school history class but did not recall any mention of it each year in the media or from other people. The 50th anniversary of his death would have been in 1951 when she was 24 so if there were annual news stories or any sort of continuing gnashing of teeth over McKinley’s death during her life, she would have recalled it. So it didn’t happen. However, people continue to be obsessed with JFK’s death. While I do think it’s important for young people to learn about his death as well as the others in history class, it is far past time for it to cease as a national obsession.

There was no Zapruder film of McKinley's assassination.
There wasn't even any television.
BIG difference.

All I remember of that day was my mom was worried, my older sister came home from school crying, and my dad came home from work. I knew something bad had happened and was terribly afraid that whatever had happened was going to end up on the seat of my britches....

And besides, we all now know that Jackie did it from inside the car after finding out ol' John had been diddling Marilyn....

giphy.gif

Posts deleted and thread closed. Apologies to the OP for the juvenile behavior of posters who find in necessary to crap in other people's threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back