$50k or less go somewhere machine

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
I've been looking for a plane for a year or so and I think I've finally settled on the mission I'm trying to meet most of the time.

Range: 350nm legs, probably a fair amount of round trips.
Passengers: 2 adults, one 13lb pup, and occasionally a child
Cargo: suitcases and stuff (if my wife could pack all she wanted we would need a C130 Herc)
Speed: Would like 145kts or so.
Avionics: IFR, Garmin430 type box, autopilot (ok, nice but not necessary)

I've had a Mooney M20E in the past and like them, but what else is out there? What am I missing? Debonair, Beech Bonanza???

Comanche. Talk to EdFred. Sounds like the machine you're looking for.

Deb under $50k with your radios is prolly not going to happen. Early Bo maybe. M35 or earlier.

If you liked the Mooney, nothing wrong with that again.

Recognize going in that not going to get a well-equipped cream-puff in that class for that kind of money. If you're prepared to put effort into it, or don't need good, modern IFR avionics, then you can make it happen for under $50K.

Recognize going in that not going to get a well-equipped cream-puff in that class for that kind of money. If you're prepared to put effort into it, or don't need good, modern IFR avionics, then you can make it happen for under $50K.

Last post I saw ed was willing to let his comanche go for 45K, it's got the panel he wants, is fast and appears to be a solid rig.

Just go ahead and buy a Canard Tom :D.
Tell me what part of his mission that Cozy won't do. I'm sure he won't mind a 165k aircraft at the fuel burn of a 120k aircraft, he probably won't mind maintaining it either. Cozy will haul his load, and then some.

why not?

Tell me what part of his mission that Cozy won't do. I'm sure he won't mind a 165k aircraft at the fuel burn of a 120k aircraft, he probably won't mind maintaining it either. Cozy will haul his load, and then some.

why not?

I didn't say not.

Just noticing that you asked about a few canards before you got the 140 and routinely recommend a canard.

I didn't say not.

Just noticing that you asked about a few canards before you got the 140 and routinely recommend a canard.
I nearly bought a Cozy, I couldn't get the cash together fast enough

want a 170 ? in the flyer today.

FOR SALE: 1954 170B N1943C White & Lt. Chestnut Metallic, dark Maroon accent - 2855 TT, 1554 SMOH, 1044 STOH - Ponk gear mod & solid axels, Cleveland wheels & brakes, 1 pc. windshield, 4 plc intercom, spin on oil filter, mode C, original wheel pants, rear seat & hat rack. Auto gas STC. Annual 10/2/13 Ohio based Asking $22,500 Ralph 740-344-5581 rcbfly@roadrunner.com.

A Cozy III will carry two adults (preferably small adults) plus either the dog, the kid, or the suitcases. It is a 3 seater with very limited baggage capacity.
What makes you say that. It isn't the design.

How does a Comanche compare cabin wise to a Mooney?

Wife won't go for a cozy. It didn't pass the "cute" test.

I'm not looking for a ramp beauty with all of the bells and whistle. Just a good, solid plane with avionics I can grow into and finish my instrument rating in.

What makes you say that. It isn't the design.

Look up the spec's on a Cozy III. It is a 3 seater. Two in the front, one in the back. There is little or no baggage room outside putting the bags in the third seat. The cockpit is configured for small people - Nat Puffer (the designer) and his wife are both probably 20th percentile on the height/weight chart, and Nat designed the airplane for people around his size.

A Cozy Mk IV is wide enough in back for two people, making it (sort of) a 4 seater, but if you want bags for a trip, you're gonna have to put those bags in one of the back seats. There simply isn't room anywhere else.

Bellanca Viking? I know next to nothing about them except that their owners adore them. And you can get one for less than a lot of the other planes, though you may have to pay more for storage given the wooden wing. I'm not sure they like to be kept outside.

A lot roomier. I originally looked at Mooneys after I sold my Cherokee. After riding in a couple, there is no comparison.

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/comanche/

I'm sending it for annual at the end of the month/beginning of March. And no it's not a "sold with fresh annual" type annual. I'm even taking care of the horn AD even though it's not due yet.

Last edited:
Very different. The comanche has a cabin and inside the cabin is a glovebox. Mooney skips straight to the glovebox.

Comanche. Talk to EdFred. Sounds like the machine you're looking for.

+1... last advertised price I recall seeing from Ed was in your budget range.

Comanche 250. Talk to Ed. Better cabin than a Mooney, good performance and fuel burn. It's a perfect fit.

A lot roomier. I originally looked at Mooneys after I sold my Cherokee. After riding in a couple, there is no comparison.

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/comanche/

I'm sending it for annual at the end of the month/beginning of March. And no it's not a "sold with fresh annual" type annual. I'm even taking care of the horn AD even though it's not due yet.

What software do you have loaded on the Helm X650?

It seems to me that Ed's Comanche fits the bill nicely.

If you're short and wide, Comanche wins. If you're tall and thin, maybe not. I only sat in Comanche once, and there was absolutely no way to fit. Maybe the seat was too tall. Before anyone talks about height adjustment, the owner was present and she said it was what it was -- she actually invited me to try it because she wanted more leaseback renters. But I have about 5 hours in M20E, that was quite comfortable (except the fuel selector and manual gear, which weren't comfort items).

If I had $50k budgeted and the mission, I would try and find M20F with electric gear. If anything left over, save it for maintenance and overhaul.

Last edited:
If you're short and wide, Comanche wins. If you're tall and thin, maybe not. I only sat in Comanche once, and there was absolutely no way to fit. Maybe the seat was too tall. Before anyone talks about height adjustment, the owner was present and she said it was what it was -- she actually invited me to try it because she wanted more leaseback renters. But I have about 5 hours in M20E, that was quite comfortable (except the fuel selector and manual gear, which weren't comfort items).

If I had $50k budgeted and the mission, I would try and find M20F with electric gear. If anything left over, save it for maintenance and overhaul.

You're drunk. I'm 6'-3" and have zero issues whatsoever.

I'm average height, 5'11, 200# and fit very comfortably in my Comanche. As a matter of fact, two guys my size fit in front very comfortably. The seat has no height adjustment, but does lean back.

I love my bird.

Is that why he's never seen at the same time as Bill Brasky?

I think I'm going to look around here and see if I can find a Comanche to go sit in. I'm 5'-10" and 190lbs, so it sounds like it should work.

I'm not bendy enough to get into a Glasair. Tried it last summer and the exit roll out was not graceful.

I think I'm going to look around here and see if I can find a Comanche to go sit in. I'm 5'-10" and 190lbs, so it sounds like it should work.

Think about 10 years from now, are you going to be able to get in and out of the piper 1 door aircraft of any model? that gets harder every year for me.

I'm not bendy enough to get into a Glasair. Tried it last summer and the exit roll out was not graceful.

That's a problem for me too, that's why I stick to the 170. they don't even require you to step over the gear.

Bo/Deb is basically the same door and seat arrangement where you step down into the well from the wing. One good thing about the Bo/Deb is the recess in the top of the door, which was a feature that Walter's wife insisted on if she were going to get into the Bonanza. That, and she was instrumental in the swing over yoke, as she didn't like the dual yoke sticking in her way if she wasn't going to be flying the darn thing. Along with fold-flat rudders on the right side to improve foot room. Smart lady.

Like the 250 Comanche,for room ,comfort and respectable speed.

Back