50 states in a remos

One of the things I really really like about my airplane is if I ever do decide to fly to all 50 states it won't be that big an accomplishment.

edit. Actually, all 50 would be quite an accomplishment, since even I'd need a ferry tank to get to Hawaii.

But, but, but, just because you fly IN 50 states doesn't mean you need to fly TO 50 states...

All 50 states is on my bucket list,have 37 states so far. Did Alaska .

I don't care if it is 48, 49, or 50 states, in a Remos that gets an iron butt award.

Sad part is Michael had some serious medical issues pop up not too long after his flights. Haven't seen his updates lately but I sure hope he gets flying again soon.

How did he do Hawaii?
Ship the plane over, the fly around the islands?

How did he do Hawaii?
Ship the plane over, the fly around the islands?
Yup!

I attended the press conference when he and US Aviation announced the project. The Remos aircraft was really new on the scene at the time and US Aviation was working to be a front runner in LSA's, sport pilot training, and a be a dealer for the aircraft. Unfortunately the business bits didn't go as well as they hoped. Nonetheless, what Michael achieved was amazing and I'm glad he did it.

Sad part is Michael had some serious medical issues pop up not too long after his flights. Haven't seen his updates lately but I sure hope he gets flying again soon.

Yeah, was going to say that. He had some rough stuff come up.
Met him at OSH years ago and have some signed stuff here from him. Super nice guy.

During that timeframe is when my company President mentioned he used to be in a high school and post-high school band with him. :) One day out of the blue he asked if I knew Michael from any of my aviation “stuff” and I said, “Yeah, met him at OSH”, and he laughed at the idea of people wanting his friend’s signature.

Apparently he’s fought various medical issues his whole life. He just tackles them and keeps going. Determined guy. This last round of stuff sounded more serious.

Even his medical condition that triggered his move to Sport Pilot was huge... he was dead, really dead, and they revived him and then he still managed to get to fly... and that was a HUGE deal back then for people struggling with medical issues. FAA was not nearly as “kind” as today, back then.

We’ve come quite far, in that regard since his flights.

What's your Mooney do 160 Kts? 2000NM/160Kts = 12.6 Hours. Ugh.
I do 140 knots on about 8.5 gph. 2000/140kts = 14.3. Means I burn 121 gallons. I hold 50 right now. Might bump it up to 60 in the near future. Still, I’d need to rip out the interior and replace it with a ferry tank to do that flight.

I think not. If I really get that big a jones to go to Hawaii I’ll take a tube.

I'd like to do 49. I have no plans to fly to Hawaii but I would love to hit the rest. All of the Canadian provinces would also be cool.

I rented a plane on a trip to Juneau, maybe I will find my way to Hawaii and do the same thing. If not, I still have a ways to go in the Lower 48 yet . . .

I rented a plane on a trip to Juneau, maybe I will find my way to Hawaii and do the same thing. If not, I still have a ways to go in the Lower 48 yet . . .

Oh, I still have a way to go yet in the lower 48 as well. I am currently at just 16.

I'm at 48. The obvious two still to go. Hawaii doesn't count unless you fly there from another state IMO ;)

Back