5 killed in tourist helicopter crash in Smoky Mountains

So that's where helicopters go when they are even too old for mercy flight?

The engines yeah. Due to the high number of starts, yet short flight times in EMS we go thru engines fast. I think we’re on our 3rd in 8 years.

Then you have plenty of over speeds, over temps, over TRQs in the industry that might require an overhaul as well. Depends on the company, but when a overhaul comes, sometimes its just easier to send out the old one and slap a used RR-250 in there. Minimizes down time.

Last edited:
Might not even be the same engine in that airframe 8 years ago. Could be an overhauled engine that come from somewhere else (MEDEVAC) and installed recently.

Found the relevant information pone page 31 in the airworthiness report (in the docket):

According to the operator’s engine records, fuel pump S/N T103542 was installed onengine S/N CAE-836708 on June 23, 2009 at an engine total time of 7,472.0 flight hours. Th maintenance record entry stated the fuel pump installed had a time since overhaul (TSO) of 0.0 flight hours. Thus, the fuel pump had accumulated about 1,078 flight hours from its last overhaul to the time of the accident. According to the Rolls-Royce M250-C20 series maintenance manual, No. 10W2, a fuel pump with P/N 386500-5 has an overhaul interval of 4,000 hours. Attachment 3 of this report contains maintenance record entries for N16760 for the last 100 hour and annual inspection and the installation of fuel pump S/N T103542.

From what my buddy said, the engine had recently been replaced in this helicopter and that was a year or two prior to the accident, although he didn’t go into much detail. Could’ve been some type of OH for all I know. He went to MedEvac about 6 months before this happened.

Your buddys information is not consistent with the maintenance records available to the NTSB:

AIRWORTHINESS GROUP CHAIRMAN’S FACTUAL REPORT ERA16FA144 page 4 said:
The accident helicopter, serial number (S/N) 45081, was manufactured in 1977 and had accumulated an aircraft total time (ATT) of about 22,562 flight
hours at the time of the accident. According to helicopter records, engine S/N CAE-836708 was installed on the helicopter and had accumulated an engine total time of about 8,550 hours at the time of the accident.

Still boggles my mind to think this happened. I believe this was the last ride I took on 760. Headed back toward the 66 Heliport with my buddy in the right seat.

Cool perk, was that friends or family could fly along on flights for free as long as an empty seat was available per the operator. I spent part of a day at their Rainbow Rd location on a few rides, which is just down the road from where the accident took place. The other time was a few hours spent at their main location off Winfield Dunn (66 Heliport). Fun times were had in ole 760! May she and her occupants Rest In Peace.

28F1C4C2-F4C4-4ABC-AB11-C77CED68E01E.jpeg

Your buddys information is not consistent with the maintenance records available to the NTSB:
I noticed that too. Given, he said that circa 2013 or 2014. I recall him mentioning that it underwent some type of engine work and believe he said the engine was either OH’d or replaced. Since it’s been several years ago, it’s possible that he was talking about their other Long Ranger (N3176L).

Edit: Interesting factoid is that N3176L also had an engine issue about a year before this accident, but it was not fatal as it happened just after pickup.

When the pump is mounted the splines are lubed.
The splines they are talking about are internal to the pump assembly and are only lubed at overhaul. The external splines are driven by a wet spline in the engine gearbox. They usually use a blue grease on the internal splines which will wash out via a seal drain in the event the internal fluid seal leaks so you can spot it. The issue here is more on the spacer thickness.

I expect that the NTSB will start a push to make 14 CFR 27.952 compliant (or equivalent) fuel systems mandatory for those kinds of commercial operations.
I’d say mandatory crash resistant fuel systems would be a big plus.
The NTSB can push all they want, but it's the FAA that has to act. There's no legal path to retrofit per a new FAR, only through an AD for existing aircraft. However, one reason the FAA has only issued a SAIB is the data hasn't met the limits for an AD like in a R22/44. But if you wreck a modified R44 just right it will burn too.

And crash resistant is more than just thicker fuel cells. The military and transport category helicopters use a suction fuel system vs a pressure fuel system found in the Part 27 aircraft. It would require a complete airframe redesign to accommodate a system level change. The push on resistant fuel tanks for the AS350 Astar in recent news, adds 60-70lbs to the empty weight and presents loading CG issues in aircraft with special configurations, but in reality only makes the storage system "resistant" and not the delivery system. So what's the point.

Plus since this was an old airframe it may have also still had its water/alcohol system installed.

Might not even be the same engine in that airframe 8 years ago.
At this point in time I doubt you'll find any C20 with its original modules and parts. It's quite common in all markets to piece meal different engine modules, and their associated sub-assemblies, during repair or overhaul work. Not every module or component is due overhaul at the same time. I recall years ago before "power by the hour" deals were around we were pulling C20 power turbines weekly on training aircraft to fly off time remaining on PT wheels that were still serviceable but were replaced due to overhauls on a revenue aircraft engine.

So that's where helicopters go when they are even too old for mercy flight?
90%+ of the new 206Ls started life in the GOM and were flown hard. After the L1 came out, most were sold to northen states in the late 80s as they performed better within those conditions. About the only place for the straight L now was doing what it was in this case, low time tourist flights. And considering this airframe's type, age and S/N, my name is probably in the logbooks somewhere.

The splines they are talking about are internal to the pump assembly and are only lubed at overhaul. The external splines are driven by a wet spline in the engine gearbox. They usually use a blue grease on the internal splines which will wash out via a seal drain in the event the internal fluid seal leaks so you can spot it. The issue here is more on the spacer thickness.

That’s what I get for not reading the report and making assumptions.

You know I have stopped being surprised when guys ignore the blue leak on the FCU.

Back