5 Dead In MO SR-22 Crash

You are assuming the A/P was working. IME autopilots frequently fail, often at inopportune times.

And even if it is working, it doesn't allways capture the localizer/glideslope which can create increased workload in and by itself. He zig-zagged through the localizer which may well have been part of an attempt to get thet thing to lock on.

Early model Cirri are steam gauge, then they got dual 430s; latest models are Garmin perspective. 3 axis APs are an option (yaw damper is the 3rd).

Automation is not a guarantee of success but does aid situational awareness.

I've got around 10 hours in an SR20 with that setup. I could fly more accurately than the autopilot, but if I was getting disoriented/confused on an approach like that I'd probably flick it on until at least 500 feet (which the Cirrus chimes out). It's a decent system in the steam gauge planes, but not perfect.

I am continually reminded that every pilot needs "Lord, don't let me screw up today" stenciled inside his eyeglasses.

So true Bruce!

Reading that report and then looking at that picture made me very sad.

Better yet a photo of their loves ones stenceled inside his eyeglasses. That photo is tragic!

Back