5-14-15 Solo

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
Yesterday was my first solo and I know everyone likes a story so here it is. My wife gave me a discovery flight for Christmas 2013. I began taking lessons and after 4 instructors leaving for the regionals I got frustrated and took a break and due to life circumstances started back January 2015. I changed airports and at this new airport there was a instructor who was retired from his day job with 2 planes. We hit it off from the beginning. I had around 14 hrs from the original school. We flew 1hr around the first of January, another hr around the first of February, another 1hr in April and then yesterday. After a few laps in the pattern he asked if I thought I was ready to solo, I said honestly I feel ready but could still use some more work. My April landings were very nice, but yesterday were good, not great. After he asked me that question I turned base and he said he had to go to the restroom. Me being a dummy thought that's weird but not much else. I parked the airplane by the FBO and before I could shut down he said where is your medical? I knew then what was occuring. I was scared but confident if that makes sense. He signed it and handed it back and said do 3 laps. All landing were good not great the last had some tiny bounce but nothing major. I just went thru all the procedures during each step. I think my nerves are still a little shot after thinking about that I flew a plane all by myself. I have time over the summer, Lord willing to wrap up my PPL. This was my experience any questions just ask.

Well let me be the first to congratulate you!

Dang, ok the second!

Congratulations! Next up: Flying away from the home airport (by yourself, after a little practice with the instructor). Keep up the good work and, most importantly, keep us updated on your progress!

Congratulations!!

When I was an instructor I would solo students when they were consistently safe, not when the had one day of great landings. There is definitely a difference.

Of all the ratings and type rides I have done, I still consider my first solo the biggest accomplishment.
Congrats again!!

Congratulations, that's a day to remember. Try and fly more often and keep the fun going.

Welcome to the small but mighty club of people who've taken an airplane off the ground by themselves and returned it back to earth safely! Congrats! Now on to more fun!

Back