4th July flight for fireworks sightseeing over LA (Los Angeles) Basin

odachoo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Odachoo
Hi friends,
Planning for 4th July flight for fireworks sightseeing over LA (Los Angeles) Basin
Any suggestions and recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance
Patrick

Like Christmas decorations, I've always found fireworks from the air underwhelming.

I couldn't agree more. Fireworks are designed to be enoyed from the ground. Additionally, by flying overhead you will be messing up the experience of the other spectators.

Like Christmas decorations, I've always found fireworks from the air underwhelming.
:yeahthat:

I've unexpectedly stumbled across fireworks from 2000AGL while on the way home and it was cool to find, but they weren't easy to spot and far from filling your field of vision like they would if you were on the ground. And no boom. Fireworks without the boom just isn't the same.

Given how dry things are in the West in general and the drought conditions in SoCal, why is anyone even considering fireworks? Trying to burn down what’s left so you can get the Feds to build all new? Brilliant if that’s the plan.

Hi friends,
Planning for 4th July flight for fireworks sightseeing over LA (Los Angeles) Basin
Any suggestions and recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance
Patrick
boring from the air.

I don’t recommend simply because you won’t be able to see anything. Every 4th of July, the basin is pretty much IFR or MVFR at best from anybody and everybody shooting off whatever they have, even in the cities where they’re not supposed to. Will be way to smoky to see anything worthwhile from the air.

Don’t know about doing it in the LA area, but it is something you should do. ONCE.

As has been said, you will be underwhelmed.

Agree with the rest, underwhelming. Although it’s interesting to see from the air how many citizens set off illegal fireworks, if you’re in a state that outlaws the projectile kind for non-professionals.

They can be interesting. I was flying into Liberty NE of Kansas City one fourth on an extended downwind when an entire neighborhood launched a lot of rockets / shells right into the pattern in front, beside, and behind me. They were very interesting from eye level.

gary

My wife and I flew over Durham, NC last night. Pretty cool seeing every little neighborhood / personal show, and the show at the local minor league ballpark. The bigger local displays are Raleigh, Cary, and Chapel Hill, all of which were on the horizon.

Back