48 hour clouds/tops/coverage forecasts?

Ed, check out windy.com

I think they do as good a job as any predicting the tops/bases/coverage. You can range it out several days in the future. Lots of other good tools there, too.

We were told MOS was going away but there is some parts of it still on FF, what's up with that?
It shows (often wrong) predicted bases and coverage etc.

+1 for windy. The cloud forecast uses the European model and in my experience is fairly useful for predicting ceilings a few days out

+1 for windy. The cloud forecast uses the European model and in my experience is fairly useful for predicting ceilings a few days out

I see all manner of pretty colors, but no legend or other indicator, and the forecast box says nothing about bases. What the heck am I looking at?

AirSportsNet is a lot more user friendly.

The HRRR cloud top height product goes out to 48 hours. They also have coverage product(s).
ctop_full_f048.png
cloudcover_full_total_f048.png

I see all manner of pretty colors, but no legend or other indicator, and the forecast box says nothing about bases. What the heck am I looking at?

You’re probably looking at the default chart: surface winds.

You gotta click the menu (triple bar icon) on the right edge. That’s the trick. You’ll then be presented a long menu — not just surface winds but many other choices for layers — select clouds, then cloud base. Easy peasy.

AirSportsNet is a lot more user friendly.

Well yes, it has nothing to click to see their main thing, a meteogram. If you’re just flying locally it might meet your needs. If you’re flying cross country, however, a map really helps, and Windy is map-based.

To enjoy Windy, you need about two mouse clicks to select what want to see.

Last edited:
You’re probably looking at the default chart: surface winds.

You gotta click the menu (triple bar icon) on the right edge. That’s the trick. You’ll then be presented a long menu — not just surface winds but many other choices for layers — select clouds, then cloud base. Easy peasy.

Well yes, it has nothing to click to see their main thing, a meteogram. If you’re just flying locally it might meet your needs. If you’re flying cross country, however, a map really helps, and Windy is map-based.

To enjoy Windy, you need about two mouse clicks to select what want to see.

No, I'm clicking through to cloud bases, and this morning I see clear, green and magenta area's, but again I see no legend for agl heights. Where is the legend, or is it assumed life, ifr and vfr by color? Is yours the premium version or the free?
I see I can look at soundings for a given location, which is nice, but I still have to estimate bases and tops from that.

Last edited:
No, I'm clicking through to cloud bases, and this morning I see clear, green and magenta area's, but again I see no legend for agl heights. Where is the legend, or is it assumed life, ifr and vfr by color? Is yours the premium version or the free?
I see I can look at soundings for a given location, which is nice, but I still have to estimate bases and tops from that.
Click on the map and it will tell you.

Screenshot_20210921-064740_Windy.jpg

Plus, if you hold once the flag shows, you can slide it along your route of flight. OK, I'm sold.

Chip, sorry, I misunderstood.

Windy’s user interface is clever, and even elegant, but it’s different. So learning it seems at first like an Easter egg hunt.

To answer your other question, I am using the Premium edition. Not sure if it changes the user interface, though - Premium provides mainly, I think, 1-hour forecast intervals, and no ads or tracking.

Last edited:
Gah. I’ve learned that windy.com app and windy app are two very different apps. Hint, not .com is pretty useless for aviation.

Back