44709 ride

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Passed today.

Very simple, take offs, circles to the right, left, demonstrate dutch rolls both directions, and three safe landings/take offs.

Very nice young man from FSDO operations.

Medical this month, and we be good to go.

Passed today.

Very simple, take offs, circles to the right, left, demonstrate dutch rolls both directions, and three safe landings/take offs.

Very nice young man from FSDO operations.

Medical this month, and we be good to go.
Congratulations! Now that this is out of the way??

Awesome Tom. Glad it went well. :)

Ops guys filled another box.
That's entirely different from a guy they "want to get". :) :) :)

Demonstrate Dutch rolls?

Where is that in a PTS? (Maybe I should go look before asking?)

Demonstrate Dutch rolls?

Why must it be in the PTS to be a part of the re-test?

he can ask you to do most any thing that he see fit to prove you are safe.

today it was for control of the aircraft. he also had me lift a wheel and hold it straight down the runway, then set it down and then the other way, that was easy, but It got fast on me, when I tried to set it down, it ballooned out, and we went around.

Good that you got that out of the way. Go pass that medical next month and have fun.

Do you hold a commercial Tom [if you are an ATP I just have not been paying attention] but a 709 ride can test any element of any certificate you hold - they would not ask a private pilot to do dutch rolls because its not taught and not a required element . ..

and as Bruce says - box checking.

Congrats Tom. Good deal.

Do you hold a commercial Tom [if you are an ATP I just have not been paying attention] but a 709 ride can test any element of any certificate you hold - they would not ask a private pilot to do dutch rolls because its not taught and not a required element . ..

and as Bruce says - box checking.

As far as I know, Dutch Rolls are not a required element in ANY certificate or rating PTS.

Question, If you were taking a re-test, for a PPL T/D privileges, you are in the aircraft and the examiner says let's see a couple dutch rolls to see if your feet and hands talk to each other, And you can do them easy, are you going to tell him that he can't test you on that ?

Question, If you were taking a re-test, for a PPL T/D privileges, you are in the aircraft and the examiner says let's see a couple dutch rolls to see if your feet and hands talk to each other, And you can do them easy, are you going to tell him that he can't test you on that ?

Agreed. But then I'd have been tempted to say, "I'm always looking for ways to improve my technique. Show me how you do them."

Agreed. But then I'd have been tempted to say, "I'm always looking for ways to improve my technique. Show me how you do them."

They are prohibited from teaching during a test.

I was thinking essentially the same thing. :yes:
when we were on college a friend took his private checkride in my ercoupe. He did the takeoff and landing, and the rest of the checkride consisted of the examiner playing with the coupe trying to get it to stall.

You obviously came up with the right answer on the ride (why pick a fight). I had no doubts you'd pass with "flying" colors.

Demonstrate Dutch rolls?

I had the same question. No one ever used the phrase "Dutch Roll" during my flight instruction; my only knowledge of dutch roll is as a(n) (in)stability characteristic inherent to a specific aircraft design. My aircraft doesn't have much of a dutch roll mode, so I'd have been very confused by the request.

It wasn't until I visited Wikipedia that I understood this phrase also refers to something else:
Dutch roll is also the name (considered by professionals to be a misnomer) given to a coordination maneuver generally taught to student pilots to help them improve their "stick-and-rudder" technique. The aircraft is alternately rolled as much as 60 degrees left and right while rudder is applied to keep the nose of the aircraft pointed at a fixed point. More correctly, this is a rudder coordination practice exercise, to teach a student pilot how to correct for the effect known as adverse aileron yaw during roll inputs.

This coordination technique is better referred to as "rolling on a heading", wherein the aircraft is rolled in such a way as to maintain an accurate heading without the nose moving from side-to-side (or yawing).
This is not a maneuver I have ever intentionally performed or practiced, but I'd at least have understood the request if someone simply asked me to "oscillate between left and right high-bank sideslips".

When the ride is over, what form must be filled out and signed by both the examiner and the pilot.

It surprised me when I looked the title of the form.

When the ride is over, what form must be filled out and signed by both the examiner and the pilot.

"Application for Airman Rating"

"Confirmation of Justification for Federal Bureacracy"?

"Application for Airman Rating"

Yep,,, the Dr got it.

8710-1 with the re-test block marked.

It is advisable that if you are taking the test, down load it fill it out and have it ready for the examiner to sign, we had to run around the airport to find a computer to down load it and then hand scribe it.

Last edited:
Back