Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
It's time again (thankfully)

41st Simsbury Fly-In, Car Show and Food Truck Festival

Simsbury Airport 4B9 in north-central Connecticut

Sept. 25 Food Trucks ONLY (9AM to 5PM)

Sept 26 Full Fly-In, Car Show, and Food Trucks (8AM to 5PM) .

The largest Fly-In in the Northeastern USA, plus a huge car show, and a major food truck festival, all in one great event. Lots of family activities, live music, judging and trophies, aerial demos, judging and trophies, free seminars, new airplane and car dealers, and amazing things to eat. No admission fee but donations gratefully accepted. Car parking $10 to benefit Boy Scouts. Handicapped facilities. Pets on leashes welcome, and we provide watering stations. FAA arrival procedures in effect. For full details please see www.simsburyflyin.com Contact Bill Thomas at wdthomas421@gmail.com.

Hope you can join us!

Phil

How many planes do you usually get?
I’ll try to come up from 9B8.

Too short for the 22, looks like fun, hope the weather holds.

A great airshow… I will be there

I might go, I've been to it a couple of times before. Big crowds, not as pilot centric as smaller events. Last time, I was sitting under my plane and a guy starts moving my propeller back and forth... and then starts to argue with me when I tell him to stop and try to explain how dangerous it was.

I might go, I've been to it a couple of times before. Big crowds, not as pilot centric as smaller events. Last time, I was sitting under my plane and a guy starts moving my propeller back and forth... and then starts to argue with me when I tell him to stop and try to explain how dangerous it was.
I like that there are a bunch of non pilots visiting (car show draws them in as well)… helps push General Aviation in general and helps with the airport is a good neighbor program

How many planes do you usually get?
I’ll try to come up from 9B8.

We usually get 100-150 airplanes at the Sunday Fly-In depending on weather. Note that you can still fly in on Saturday with less crowds for the food truck only event.

The runway is 2200 ft asphalt.

Living in CT I have gone to this show a number of times but have no plans to fly in unless things change. It draws a very large non-aviation crowd due to the car show that happens at the same time which is both good and bad. The good is that it provides alot of positive outreach to the local community but the bad is that unless you are sitting next to your plane all day there is a high likelihood that someone is going to climb up on it, play with the prop, push on the elevator or ailerons, step on the wheel pants, etc. This isn't Oshkosh where there are thousands of other pilots walking around that will speak up if they see someone messing with a parked plane. Most people attending the event have probably never seen a small airplane up close or understand what can damage them. The last time I went I saw some parents lifting their kids up to have them sit on the cowling of a 152 to take a picture. The owner was no where in sight. Like I said, the show is good but something needs to be done to better manage the crowds around the airplanes. Maybe start having some volunteers assigned and patrolling each row or use the CAP cadets there to help.

Back