406 ELT Registration

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So I just registered my ACK E-04 with NOAA. Did not know what to put in the "Survival Equipment, Fixed" line.

In the Deployable line I simply stated "Survival equipment as per FAA requirements for Alaska flying"

Could not think of any fixed Survival equipment. What is a "Fixed Survival Equipment"?

I left the fixed equipment blank but I suppose I could have listed my Spidertracks unit there. I provided that and the unit ID# in the additional comments line instead.

In the deployable equipment line I listed first aid, water, food, shelter, satellite phone.

What is a "Fixed Survival Equipment"?
It's my understanding those two form items were more applicable to helicopters and large airplanes than small aircraft. Back when I filled these forms out on a regular basis, I was told "fixed equipment" was defined as any item kept secured inside the aircraft and must be physically unsecured and removed. "Deployed equipment" was defined as any item that was secured externally and would eject, automatically or manually via a release system, during or after an accident. As a policy, we would leave those lines blank, but some would list life vests as fixed and floats as deployable.

For example, there are various helicopter emergency floats and life raft configurations that deploy through various methods, either manually from a cockpit or external control, or via immersion switches. Some deployable life rafts have their own survival equipment and EPRIBS. Some large private jets and airliners also have deployable options but I don't know the details.

It's my understanding those two form items were more applicable to helicopters and large airplanes than small aircraft
That makes sense to me. So for a small aircraft you would leave both "Deployable and Fixed" lines blank. Thanks for your comments.

Why? When RCC looks up
your records why wouldn't you want them to know that if you're alive and capable you have the tools to survive?

Why? When RCC looks up
your records why wouldn't you want them to know that if you're alive and capable you have the tools to survive?
I defiantly see your point Stewart, I was just looking for the definitions intended with the registration form. I carry what the FAA requires plus some equipment I feel is more suited for SE AK.

I emailed SARSAT for definitions and how they want the form filled out. LOL on getting a response but if I get one I'll let you know what they said. I could not think of a fixed item, and my searches came up empty.

From the definition that @Bell206 stated your deployable items are his fixed items (fixed equipment" was defined as any item kept secured inside the aircraft and must be physically unsecured and removed. ")

Why? When RCC looks up your records why wouldn't you want them to know that if you're alive and capable you have the tools to survive?
The reason of the policy not to fill out was 2 years was a long enough period for an aircraft to change contracts and sometimes that meant a change in customer required survival gear. It's my understanding that instead of multiple re-reg (prior to the 2 year) just to change the equipment list, the recommendation was to leave blank. Plus the whole idea is to find you before you need the equipment. Also, while I can't speak for the Alaska RCC, the RCC protocol I'm aware of is they first attempt communication with the registered emergency contacts from which they request, if possible, a current list of emergency equipment, signaling devices, etc.

Having seen how the 406 system works in the real world, I can not image anyone flying over remote areas without one. In one instance, even with computerized flight following which warns of a flying target's lack of forward GPS movement over a specific time frame, which triggers an aircraft overdue search, a 406 signal was picked up and forwarded to an RCC. Due to the proximity the CG station, their Dauphin was on site just as other company aircraft showed up. Amazing system.

Finding you before you need equipment is largely a factor of weather. Sometimes they can't get to you even when they know exactly where you are. Case in point? The recent 5 fatality Denali accident. The outcome wasn't changed by on-board survival equipment but it illustrates that you may be on your own for a few days.

Finding you before you need equipment is largely a factor of weather.
Agree 100%. My comment wasn't meant to be against survival equipment, only in listing it per the context of the original post. I can attest to having the proper equipment onboard as I was once stuck by weather--without an incident--for a couple days in a very remote area. And I was up there when the K2 accident happened. Tragic. It seemed this year was a bad year for flying. Always hated to see the 130 and Blackhawks flying around as it meant only one thing.

I listed emergency equipment always on board.

Stated: Survival pack with food and water for 2 for 4 days, and handheld radio tuned to 121.5

Last edited:
Same with a IFR flight plan for survival equipment remark

I put my SARSAT ID for my EPIRB in

EPIRBs are for boats. ELTs are for airplanes.

EPIRBs are great for floatplanes, got mine for free, it’s a GPS 121.5/406 with a strobe on it, obviously floats, folks at SARSAT said to just notate it on its registration and they were cool with it being used in the plane.

That wouldn't be advised in AK. Planes, boats, and PLBs go to dicferent agencies.

That wouldn't be advised in AK. Planes, boats, and PLBs go to dicferent agencies.

I don’t think SARSAT is a state by state thing

AK might hear the 121.5 signal, but the 406 goes to NOAA and NOAA tells AK where to look.

I keep it by the door, great for seaplanes, with how it’s placed on my way out chuck it out, presuming it doesn’t likely just go out when you open the door, it floats, gets retrieved and activated.

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/

You're incorrect. Alaska has different assignments for different beacons.

MCC assigns beacons differently. It's not a secret.

Perhaps I don’t understand

The 406 signal goes to SARSAT, they alert the locals of the thing in distress, be it a boat, plane, or hiker, I was told by SARSAT that with how my EPIRB was notated it was good for my usage.
So you’re saying AK has the means to independently intercept the 406 signal and than ignore it based on what model distress device it is?

MCC receives all 406 beacons in the USA. They dispatch the information to RCCs or other agencies depending on the region and jurisdiction. I have no idea how Wiconsin deals with 406 beacons but I know precisely how Alaska deals with them. Like I said, EPIRBS are for boats, ELTs are for airplanes. Who comes for me matters. I have an ELT. Send the Air Guard and battle trained PJs, which includes a battlefield medic!

MCC receives all 406 beacons in the USA. They dispatch the information to RCCs or other agencies depending on the region and jurisdiction. I have no idea how Wiconsin deals with 406 beacons but I know precisely how Alaska deals with them. Like I said, EPIRBS are for boats, ELTs are for airplanes. Who comes for me matters. I have an ELT. Send the Air Guard and battle trained PJs, which includes a battlefield medic!

So SARSAT is “fake news”?

Because what you’re saying doesn’t jive with the documents, on the top of my registration it doesn’t have some little states logo, it has NOAA SARSAT

The state does not “deal” with 406, it’s told what to look for, who to look for and where to look.

E247834_A-62_D0-4_D55-_A7_F0-0_FD421_C814_EC.jpg

A4_E20_A65-2213-48_E5-96_C7-_A1_EDAA589285.jpg

And on the SARSAT page it says:

The satellites relay distress signals from emergency beacons to a network of ground stations and ultimately to the U.S. Mission Control Center (USMCC) in Suitland, Maryland. The USMCC processes the distress signal and alerts the appropriate search and rescue authorities to who is in distress and, more importantly, where they are located.“

So you’re saying the above is false?

Also when a seaplane is on the water it is a boat.

Last edited:
I thought you said you talked to you region's RCC? That's the only fake news here. My comments are factual.

I thought you said you talked to you region's RCC? That's the only fake news here. My comments are factual.

My states RCC?

I spoke with SARSAT, it’s not regional it’s a center in Maryland, the number on the image I posted, the ones who actually receive and interpret the 406 info and pass on the who, what and where.

“The satellites relay distress signals from emergency beacons to a network of ground stations and ultimately to the U.S. Mission Control Center (USMCC) in Suitland, Maryland. The USMCC processes the distress signal and alerts the appropriate search and rescue authorities to who is in distress and, more importantly, where they are located”

Last edited:
Why? When RCC looks up
Surprise, surprise, surprise.. Got an answer from my email...

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting us. Fixed survival equipment refers to equipment that cannot be removed from the aircraft in a distress situation. Examples of such include oxygen masks. Conversely, deployable survival equipment can be removed from the aircraft in a distress situation. Examples include first aid kits and life rafts. I hope this information is helpful to you in updating your registration.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact by email or phone at 301-817-4515.

Simone Stewart

SARSAT Beacon Registration Database Team
Toll-Free: 1.888.212.7283 | Local: 301.817.4515 | Fax: 301.817.4565
beacon.registration@noaa.gov | beaconregistration.noaa.gov

Back