4 approaches in 3 days at 3 different airports

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
This would not be uncommon for me if for training. However I typically find it hard to keep my instrument currency just doing my normal flying. I have a business partner that has a 421 hanger queen, he ask me if I could take him to KC (160nm) on Friday. If I can fit it in, I will never turn down the opportunity to fly on someone else's dime. Weather looked like it would be clear on Friday and Saturday. Took him Saturday morning and it was not clear, not super low, but the field was IFR. Picked him up Saturday which was forecast to be clear, nope, got another approach in. Today one of my 19 year old twins left for the military processing station in OKC to become a Marine (yes proud papa moment), we decided to fly down to spend the afternoon/evening with him. This time the weather was a little better than forecast, about 500' ceilings vs the 300 they were promising. Got approaches at OKC and back home. I guess my wife hasn't been in the front during a low approach recently. We got switched to tower and they cleared us to land and she said "what, we are in the clouds". I guess I haven't really explained to her how the system works.

Jim

To be fair, to a non pilot that is a smart question. "You're going to land without seeing the ground? Are you crazy?)

And of course, congrats to your son joining the Few and the Proud. An honored group to be in.
upload_2022-12-13_16-43-3.png

Back