3rd Class SI Issued…..hoping I get the real one soon!

Beaker’s Flyin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Beaker’s Flyin
All,

I’ve been reading medical successes and failures for about two years now. I’ve got a history, met with an AME for a consult, and today had my exam. Thanks to this group I had all my paperwork in place and made it fairly easy for the AME to issue in office. For a little while I have a class 3 medical.

We expect the SI letter from the FAA for OSA but he did say that the FAA could ask for more info or revoke it. What are the odds it gets yanked?

Your "odds" are always "better" when the AME issues at the time of your exam (vs. deferral) but your specific odds depend on your specific situation, and your AME is likely in the best position to estimate them.

Is it actually an SI if the AME issues?

In the past, with high blood pressure, I needed a letter from my doctor that I was being treated and controlled. The AME would issue, and some time later I would get a letter from the FAA saying the medical I had was valid.

I don't think the AME can issue for OSA, or at least it's not included on this list.

I went in with a filled out and signed Initial Status Report from my treating physician, signed attestation of CPAP use, 1 yr history of compliance, my original sleep study, and clinical summary notes from my treating physician. He also went through the decision matrix, assuming all that is what would be needed, he issued in office expecting we’d get a letter regarding needing to remain compliant.

Not sure what else they may ask for but they have all we would need to prove compliance. Perhaps one of the AME’s will opine?

Is it actually an SI if the AME issues?

In the past, with high blood pressure, I needed a letter from my doctor that I was being treated and controlled. The AME would issue, and some time later I would get a letter from the FAA saying the medical I had was valid.
Depending on how. once you get the SI letter, the AME can reissue per the instructions in the letter, but you're still on the SI until the FAA tells you that you don't need it anymore.

Depending on how. once you get the SI letter, the AME can reissue per the instructions in the letter, but you're still on the SI until the FAA tells you that you don't need it anymore.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

Back