3rd class medical questions

Good. But as of my earlier post, Bruce had not received it, probably due to it being caught in his very tight spam filter. Once again, I suggest trying either the AOPA Forums or one of the other means suggested by his web site. Alternatively, you can email me and I'll forward it to Bruce -- I'm a "trusted sender" in his system.

Check your PM..

No problem.. Thanks.. I've also engaged a local AME who deals with FAA problems as well and am talking with him, so I have a backup plan, I have to have one anyways to take the exam..

Buddy - you really need to email Dr. Chien and talk with him. Nobody here can help you. You might not have an issue, especially if you've just recently developed symptoms.

But beyond that - you're asking about a first class medical and you apparently can't show the integrity to admit to yourself there might be a problem. If that's the case, I'm not sure you should be flying an ultralight, let alone anything in the commercial realm.

Just talk with Dr. Bruce. That is your solution.
There are nearly 4000 AME's and there is a great resource in AOPA's pilot protection service. Unless you want to pay Bruce Chien hundreds of dollars for what you can get for much less elsewhere then look at all the other resources that are available to you. Bruce has been very good at marketing these forums and convincing everyone that he is the master of medical certification and that without him you are doomed to fail. The truth is that he is one AME among thousands, just a little better at marketing and somewhat economical with the truth.
Stephen.

There are nearly 4000 AME's and there is a great resource in AOPA's pilot protection service. Unless you want to pay Bruce Chien hundreds of dollars for what you can get for much less elsewhere then look at all the other resources that are available to you. Bruce has been very good at marketing these forums and convincing everyone that he is the master of medical certification and that without him you are doomed to fail. The truth is that he is one AME among thousands, just a little better at marketing and somewhat economical with the truth.
Stephen.
Stephen has had several unpleasant public discussions with Bruce both here and on the AOPA Forums. Please consider that when evaluating his comments above.

For my own experience, when Dr. Bruce was still here, I had and incident suspected to be a heart attack (wasn't, thankfully. It was benign when all was over). He generously responded to a PM with a detailed list of what I had to do to get ready for a new medical and never asked for a cent even though I offered.

John

Last edited:
Stephen has had several unpleasant public discussions with Bruce both here and on the AOPA Forums. Please consider that when evaluating his comments above.

I admit that I have had a couple of exchanges with Bruce on the red board when I exposed that he had been somewhat 'economical with the truth' for which he banned me for a month so that I could not reply to his continued untruthfulness.
I don't believe that I have ever had an unpleasant exchange with Dr Bruce on this forum, you may want to check your facts before posting in defense of your friend. If I am wrong about that I apologize in advance (it must have been a very long time ago), but I really can't think of any one instance - maybe you can correct me? Or maybe this is just a fabrication to make me look bad, a bit like your friend Dr Bruce's belated support of the DL medical.
Stephen.

I admit that I have had a couple of exchanges with Bruce on the red board when I exposed that he had been somewhat 'economical with the truth' for which he banned me for a month so that I could not reply to his continued untruthfulness.
I don't believe that I have ever had an unpleasant exchange with Dr Bruce on this forum,
I know you don't believe that. Nevertheless, your fractious relationship with Bruce is significant when others evaluate your criticisms of him.

Stephen.

I've had conversations with a local AME, done my own research, as well as talked to Bruce. For what Bruce charges I think he is quite a deal for the amount of personal interaction he provides. The local AME was more of the suggestion of lets just do it and see if it goes through OKC without too much of a snag. :yikes:. Needless to say I did not decide to follow this approach

I do admit that Bruce's approach is more along the line of over preparation and overwhelming the FAA in regards to preemptive documentation so there are no avenues for them to question the filing. He wants to make sure that you have all your ducks in a row before even considering proceeding. He is not one to submit the minimums and see what else if anything is asked for after the fact.

[snip]
I do admit that Bruce's approach is more along the line of over preparation and overwhelming the FAA in regards to preemptive documentation so there are no avenues for them to question the filing. He wants to make sure that you have all your ducks in a row before even considering proceeding. He is not one to submit the minimums and see what else if anything is asked for after the fact.

Which sounds like the low risk approach if you have any reason to suspect you'll have a problem.

John

Which sounds like the low risk approach if you have any reason to suspect you'll have a problem.

John

I agree, however I can see how people may view this approach as adding to the cost rather than just doing the minimum required and providing only the supplemental info if its requested.

I agree, however I can see how people may view this approach as adding to the cost rather than just doing the minimum required and providing only the supplemental info if its requested.

Yes, it depends on your priority. If you need the medical you trade money for time and reliability. If you can wait or have a high tolerance for risk, you can trade time and risk for money.

I make trade off decisions like this all the time. As I get older, busier and have more disposable income, I trade money for avoiding hassles and time MUCH more than I did in my 20's and 30' when I didn't have nearly as much money.

John

I'm interested in PP certificate. I'm concerned about the medical. I had an accident about 10 years ago and subsequently had 7 back surgeries over about the next 5-7 years. The entire time I have been on strong pain medication, Morphine Sulfate Extended release (pill form) 1x, and Hydrocodone apap 4x10-325 daily. I was with the same pain management doctor all the way and he apart of the surgeon practice that did some of the operations (I had to have professor at the medical college do a few new procedure's that had just come out at the time). I've really turned around over the past 3-4 years.. I haven't had any more surgery and all the time feeling better. I'm have already started tapering off of the medication and expect to be off in the next month or so.

My question is simply, what can I expect as far as the medical goes. What should I be concerned about..

So that everyone knows, this fellow was playing two AMEs against each other, sent a check for work that was begun and cancelled the check.

There are some real scumbags here...
Have a great life, guy......just not in the sky.

So that everyone knows, this fellow was playing two AMEs against each other, sent a check for work that was begun and cancelled the check.

There are some real scumbags here...
Have a great life, guy......just not in the sky.

I don't know anything about this case but... Is that you Bruce??? It certainly sounds like you. Welcome back !!!
Stephen

Well, he was last logged in at 3:37.....Not that there's anything wrong with that. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back