3rd class medical exemption Please support the AOPA request

Bob Stephens

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Stephens
I am sure most of you are AOPA members and most likely received the e-mail below.
This is our opportunity to assist AOPA in securing a 3rd class medial exemption with limits. Please call your local U. S Senators office and your local Congressman.
thanks
bob
<<DEAR XXXXXX,
I am writing to ask for your support with legislation that could change the future of general aviation.
Bills have been introduced in both the House and Senate that would exempt thousands of general aviation pilots from requiring a third-class medical certificate to fly.
I am asking for your help to show Congress that the general aviation community is behind this legislation and wants to see real change.
In December, AOPA members Rep. Todd Rokita (R-Indiana), a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, and GA Caucus Co-Chair Sam Graves (R-Missouri) introduced the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act or (GAPPA).
Under GAPPA, pilots who make noncommercial VFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with no more than six seats would be exempt from the third-class medical certification process. Pilots would be allowed to carry up to five passengers, fly at altitudes below 14,000 feet msl and fly no faster than 250 knots. The legislation would also require the FAA to report on the safety consequences of the new rule after five years.
On March 11, Sen. John Boozman (R-Arkansas), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), members of the Senate GA Caucus, introduced identical legislation in the Senate.
I urge you to contact your elected officials in the United States House and Senate and ask them to co-sponsor these bills. By signing on to this legislation, lawmakers will help create the momentum we need to change the outdated third-class medical certification process in ways that will promote safety, keep aviators flying, and save pilots, and the federal government, millions of dollars.
Please contact your Senators and Representative (contact information below) and politely ask them to co-sponsor the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. A phone call generally creates the fastest results.
Senator John McCain, (202) 224-2235, or leave message on website at http://mccain.senate.gov/

I sent a message to two senators and a congressman today.

Just wondering--I clicked on the link to check out who the current Rep's and Senators co-sponsors were. Why is it virtually all Republican? Is there something inherently partisan about this proposed legislation?

Just wondering--I clicked on the link to check out who the current Rep's and Senators co-sponsors were. Why is it virtually all Republican? Is there something inherently partisan about this proposed legislation?

Bill without much opposition that lets Republicans say they deregulated something + private pilots are more likely to be constituents for economic reasons.

Democrats not interested in deregulating anything typically + don't want to be seen helping out those rich pilots.

or so I assume.

The Dems have no interest in reducing the size and scope of government. If there is too much work that just means we need to hire more people with full government bennys.

The Dems have no interest in reducing the size and scope of government.

The Reps say they do, but when they're in power, the Federal Government never actually shrinks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back