3rd class issued with admitted DUI

Merrell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Merrell
I was recommended to start a new thread, unfortunately it's another DUI case. I've been lurking forums online for some months trying to locate similar situations to gain answers, but mine still seems somewhat exceptional.

I was issued a 3rd class from an AME in October. I had a DUI 13 years ago at age 19. I don't know my BAC, told the doc that. He didn't defer me, but required I send a letter detailing the situation etc, section A from the Drug and Alcohol additional information rubric.
Medxpress also shows it as having been issued. When I contacted the FAA for clarification, they told me my case is in review, nor did they have an eta on when it will finish, nor have they sent a request for additional information in the mail yet, (I confirmed this last part on the phone). It has now been about 12 weeks since issuance, only about 6 weeks since they received the letter, (it seems like it took a month for that letter to get processed).

This is my only infraction, I don't have any other record of drug/alcohol abuse or convictions. I have not been entirely abstinent during the period after the DUI, but seldom drink. AOPA rep told me to hold off on seeing a HIMS until I hear back from the FAA.

I haven't started flying yet for unrelated reasons, but my problem going forward is that I plan to take out a large loan and go to pilot school. It seems prudent to hold off until this is sorted. Then again, I don't know how long this will take, and it seems it could take a very long time. This is time I could be building hours at least. So I don't know if I should start flying now or not. I also don't know if the FAA will suspend the certificate once I tell them I cannot provide the BAC.

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
Large loan, 'pilot school' 3rd class medical...

Hmmmm...that arithmetic has challenges...You are going to need a 2nd class to fly for hire...and a 1st class for fly in the bigs...

You will need driving records all the way back from any place you lived/were licensed just to show you didn't have any more DUIs. You'll need ever scrap of treatment record/court record you can find even if it omits the BAC.

DON'T TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE FROM AOPA. The people who answer the medical line there are not medically trained and give blatantly wrong answers frequently.

The FAA is likely to dump you in HIMS anyhow. You may wish to start developing your statement about just what happened back then, your drug and alcohol use before and since, etc... Have it ready to be vetted by the HIMS AME.

as I posted on your other piggy-back thread:

1st xxxxx
2nd you have a valid med certificate - faa has 60 days to request more info
3rd start school but make sure fee is refundable if #2 interferes - unlikely
4th do not send to the faa un-requested data

you do not need a lawyer or a HIMS AME or at this time pee tests or AA. I suspect you will get a letter advising you to be careful with alcohol use.

Last edited:
Before you take out a "large loan", take some flying lessons. It doesn't have to be from the big "pilot school" you're looking at, it can be at any local small airport, pay as you go. See if you even like it and have an aptitude for it before taking on a huge financial burden.

12wks
7 days a week

84 days

If my understanding is correct you should be good with your current certificate as it’s over 60 days old

I would talk to a HIMs shop now, but don’t do ANYTHING on medexpress, I would actually talk to a aviation lawyer first about your current medical, they’ll probably tell you that you’ll end up in HIMS due to no BAC and to start peeing in cups now to start the proven sobriety stuff

If things go well you can train on your existing medical that the FAA was too slow to take, while getting some pee tests behind you, work on your HIMs packet, and you might not even miss a beat between training and when you’ll need to apply for your 2nd or 1st class for your first job

Also the -correct- answer is you never drank the devils juice since that horrible night, no don’t lie or anything that’s bad and the FAA knows all etc

1) As mentioned above, take a discovery flight, maybe a few lessons to see if you even like flying
2) When you get this all sorted out, before you spend additional money and time, get your 1st class medical. You don't want to spend years and tens of thousands of dollars only to THEN find out you can't get a 1st class that is needed to get a medical that allows you to get paid (regionals / major airlines).

To clarify, I already have taken a discovery and I know I want to fly. The school I plan to attend is a small local one where it is a pay as you go, the loan also disperses in stages, we're not talking like an ATP type school. The financial circumstances don't pose a particularly difficult problem, only if this takes a long time where interest accrues.

Also, as far as I know, and I could be wrong, the class distinction between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd does not matter with a situation involving a DUI. I have no other medical conditions that would prevent me from acquiring a 1st class in the future.

My question more concerns the procedures the FAA will take with my case, especially concerning a lack of criminal, court, and driving records due to time, how and or when HIMS may come in to the picture, and if there may be an injunction that prevents me from flying in the future due to the processing.

. I have no other medical conditions that would prevent me from acquiring a 1st class in the future.

Probably not. Offering a friendly suggestion to do what you need to to get it now and be sure. You’ll also get all the what not sorted out on what needs to be done on an ongoing basis to keep it.

Great to see you asking smart questions and planning things out. Keep posting on your progress with this and your training in general.

They are for sure going to demand
(1) dmv record to prove it your one and only
(2) single dui no BAC requires Cadc DSM 4 type evaluation.
(3) Personal statement
(4) and record obtainable from the clerk of the court.

It’ll arrive in but a few days…..

Meanwhile, get some lessons in. Sounds like you were honest, stay honest, don't procrastinate on gathering what they request. Pay the AME to review your paperwork before you submit. This is not a do it yourself deal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back