35mm slide/negative scanner

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I have literally thousands of 35mm slides lying around, some in Carousel trays and some just loose. Some are my own, a lot are my dad’s.

I’m ready to start sorting through them, tossing a lot but wanting to digitize select ones.

I see devices for that purpose on Amazon, mostly in the $80 to $200 range.

Anyone have first hand experience or general recommendations as to brand and model I might be happy with?

Thanks in advance.

I have/use an old Konica/Minolta 5400 that works pretty well. Sometimes can be gotten on fleaBay. The high-res Nikons are also good, again out of production but can be had on the auction site.

VueScan is good for the software.

If you can find a place that will do good quality scans at a reasonable price, you may find it more effective than scanning by yourself. I did that with some old 8 mm film. There are a number of places, some will send it out of the US for scanning.

No experience with the cheaper ones.

(I've got something over 7500-8000 scans done....)

This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/ION-Hi-Res-N...=1521307971&sr=8-7&keywords=ion+slide+scanner

It does a reasonable job for the price, scanning a 35mm slide to 4416 x 2944 pixels, usually around 2MB, without too much grain or artifact (much better than an older-generation scanner I had earler). There are some settings to adjust exposure, but they're a little awkward to use. I usually edit the scans with Photoshop or Luminar to clean them up.

My biggest gripe is that there is noticeable vignetting of the image -- in other words, the center of the frame might be exposed properly, but it gets somewhat darker around the corners. Again, a good post editor like Luminar can fix most of that.

There are better scanners out there, but for general archiving of tons of slides, this one is good for the price.

Here's an album of Agfachrome 100 slides from 1968, scanned with this machine and edited with Luminar.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoqfbXU8iDLZK1nN2

Thanks!

That one Pilawt referenced may do the trick. I suspect many of my Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides have already degraded to some extent, and I’m just looking for good enough to touch up and post online when the need arises. And to capture them before they get any worse. Those posted in Pilawt’s album would definitely fit the bill.

Sliw, slow, slow. Much easier to send off to a slide to digital service.

Many of my father's are 3D "Realist" format. They do not fit very well in any normal scanner, and take much manual manipulation.

1950s-60s-lot-60-stereo-3d-slides_1_c69770222e5c7f77e7f54d64f25dfb70.jpg

img\

My dad digitized a ton of slides using a different technique. Loaded them up in a carousel and projected them on a screen. Took pictures with a digital camera. They came out looking great and that is a bunch faster than any slide scanner I've seen. I need to do that with a bunch of slides we have.

My folks have lots of slides. I'll be looking for something for them, too.

Canon CanoScan 8800 is what I use. Scans up to 6000dpi. Photo below was a 1960 Kodachrome slide. Compressed file online doesn’t do it justice. On my computer, I can almost read the name tag on my dad’s shirt.

1f20d96f97c8c19f35bf2ca6efa9a974.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have literally thousands of 35mm slides lying around, some in Carousel trays and some just loose. Some are my own, a lot are my dad’s.

I’m ready to start sorting through them, tossing a lot but wanting to digitize select ones.

I see devices for that purpose on Amazon, mostly in the $80 to $200 range.

Anyone have first hand experience or general recommendations as to brand and model I might be happy with?

Thanks in advance.
Some years ago I was in the same situation, with about 40 years worth of slides to preserve. I bought a Nikon LS-2000 - which came with a SCSI interface.
Ancient technology, I know, but it did the job just fine - installed in an old PC that was gathering dust. The only downside is that scanning the slides was
tedious and time consuming. Glad I did it, though. Still have the equipment, but haven't used it for quite awhile.

Dave

Back