330ES vs GDL82 vs 345

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I got a 330, i know i can do the 330ES upgrade for $1,500.
But the GDL 82 would be $1,800 -$500 (rebate) plus install.
Since I got a 430W, is the GDL 82 just an "in-line" plug and play?

To get the GDL 82 to send Bluetooth to the iPad, do I need a flight stream?

nothing is just...."plug-n-play"....any more than a 335/345 or 330ES install. There are multiple serial data connections with configuration settings dependent on your other equipment or lack there of.

The ES upgrade will qualify for the rebate. It’s not just a software upgrade. The GDL82 is just ads-b out, so there is no bluetooth. I don’t think the GDL82 is compatible with the 330 anyway. I’d go ES upgrade.

@Jesse Saint - do you know anyone who has received the five hundred smackers for 330ES upgrade?
My situation: I have a 327. I purchased a used 330. I had it sent in the G-land for the upgrade and it's got a nice fresh 8130.
I can apply for the upgrade and collect the cash?

--

@TimRF79 - 330ES upgrade all the way. you'll be compliant, you'll get TIS-A traffic on your 430W, no extra antennas.

To get the GDL 82 to send Bluetooth to the iPad, do I need a flight stream?

All of the solutions you mention are ADS-B Out only, so they won't have anything to send to the iPad. You'll need to get a Stratus or other ADS-B In solution, or use a panel mount in/out solution.

I did the 330 es before the 345 was available,a little costly,works great. Also have stratus foreflight combo.

Make sure you know what you are getting. The 330ES is 1090 out and TIS-A in only. It will not receive TIS-B traffic or FIS-B weather. (FIS-B us UAT 978 MHz only). Before you decide on an ADS-B compliance route make sure you are getting the capabilities you want. If you want out only the 330ES is fine. If you want traffic in, the 330 ES is limited to areas where you get TIS-A service, There is significant merit in getting dual link ADS-B in a panel mount for a total solution for traffic and WX without having to support multiple portable devices. Costs more? Yes. BTDT. It can be a complicated decision.

All of the solutions you mention are ADS-B Out only, so they won't have anything to send to the iPad. You'll need to get a Stratus or other ADS-B In solution, or use a panel mount in/out solution.

No, the 345 is in/out. Will talk to the iPad. The 330ES and the GDL 82 are 'out' only, so you'd need an additional solution for 'in' on those.

C.

No, the 345 is in/out. Will talk to the iPad.

Silly me, I read the post (which had no mention of the 345) instead of the subject line (which does). I'm well aware of its capabilities, I have one and I highly recommend it to anyone who is using Garmin navigators (GTN/GNS).

Back