$30,000 plane....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I had my interest in purchasing a plane again reignited by my wonderful GF, who really wants us to have a plane (hell yeah).

So - help me find something decent. ~$30K max, 2 real seats a must, anything more is gravy. Speed needs to be minimum of 110knots, range is unimportant. Mission would be to travel approx. 300nm or 2 hours at a time to see places.

In other words, I don't care, as long it flies and it holds 2 people. Ideas?

I had my interest in purchasing a plane again reignited by my wonderful GF, who really wants us to have a plane (hell yeah).

So - help me find something decent. ~$30K max, 2 real seats a must, anything more is gravy. Speed needs to be minimum of 110knots, range is unimportant. Mission would be to travel approx. 300nm or 2 hours at a time to see places.

A Cherokee Warrior

LINK

Proven airframe, great engine, the O320, lots of parts and way cheaper than a 172.

The one above can easily be upgraded to 160hp when you do your next overhaul.

How about a Cherokee 140? 110 kt is a little optimistic for one of those, though...

Trapper John

The Grumman AA1x series of which some are called the Yankee would be a fun plane to own and fly. Its a little faster than most similarly powered planes, handles great and is a cute little bugger to boot. Nice examples can be had in that price range or even a bit less.

I'll second the short wing Pipers either Tripacer, Colt or if you want a taildragger, a Pacer.

A Cherokee Warrior

LINK

Proven airframe, great engine, the O320, lots of parts and way cheaper than a 172.

The one above can easily be upgraded to 160hp when you do your next overhaul.

That's a nice plane. I forgot to figure in overhaul costs, though.

About how much for a complete overhaul of an O320?

That's a nice plane. I forgot to figure in overhaul costs, though.

About how much for a complete overhaul of an O320?
$10-15k But that plane has at least 6 to 7 years before you would need to do the overhaul. You can set aside money each hour of operations to pay for the eventual overhaul.

It also has 826lbs usefull load. That is more than my Warrior which has 803 and has been more than enough for me.

The Grumman AA1x series of which some are called the Yankee would be a fun plane to own and fly. Its a little faster than most similarly powered planes, handles great and is a cute little bugger to boot. Nice examples can be had in that price range or even a bit less.

I'll second the short wing Pipers either Tripacer, Colt or if you want a taildragger, a Pacer.

Yankee!!! Excellent idea. In the land of 6000ft runways, that might be a perfect plane out here. I can't find any listed for sale though. I have time, so this is something to consider.

Yankee!!! Excellent idea. In the land of 6000ft runways, that might be a perfect plane out here. I can't find any listed for sale though. I have time, so this is something to consider.

You could probably get away with 5900 ft. :smilewinkgrin:

Its the Tigers that require 6K ft or more. :D

Check here as well as TAP, ASO, Controller, etc.

http://www.aya.org

classifieds

Hmmm... Nick is a pretty big guy living in a warm place.
My AA1B has been upgraded with an O-320 - without which (IMHO) the plane doesn't climb for squat. (And that's in Michigan.)
Empty is 1140 lb.
Gross is 1600 lb.
Usable fuel is 22 gal.
Payload with full tanks = 328 lb.

I doubt you'll find much of a Warrior for $30K, and I'd peg the total cost at overhaul time more like $15-20K.

A stock-engined Yankee will not cut the mustard -- doesn't have 300nm range with any reserve at all, and pretty sad for climb with two adults in Phoenix's elevation/heat.

If you want speed and have $30K to spend, a big-engined Yankee (an AA-1x with the STC'd O-320 installation) might be a real good choice, especially with the high DA's where you are. You'll see a lot more that 110 knots, and great climb capability, even in the heat. Only problem will be range -- you can have 300nm (if you get the STC'd 2x5-gallon aux tanks, which many if not most O-320'd AA-1x's have) or two adults, but not both. Range with two adults is more like 200-250nm, depending on wind. BTW, "Mean" Gene Plazak at DMA Speed Mods is working on an STC to up the max gross for O-320-powered Yankees by 200 lb -- that would fix the range/payload problem, and I believe it's just a paperwork STC without any structural mods.

OTOH, a $30K 140 Cherokee will happily haul two adults over 300nm -- at 105 knots.

Both Ron and Joe make valid points. I forgot you were in Phoenix Nick and also forgot you were calorically challenged. :D

Yeah, the upgraded AA1x with the 0-320 is the way to go. I flew a friends 160 HP AA1C in the summer heat around Denver, CO and even when it was hot out, that thing climbed like a homesick angel even from my airport at 5,500 ft. elevation. DA was over 8K.

The Grumman

Y'know, I hear all these great things about Grummans on here (they go 135 knots! They handle like a fighter!), but about a year ago I went to Hortmann at PNE and got checked out in a very new Tiger. I was unimpressed and underwhelmed. It didn't go anywhere near 135, it performed pretty much just like a good Archer (115-120) and while the handling was a little better, it certainly wasn't stupdendous. :dunno:

The $30k limit is going to be difficult because it's hard to find planes for that price, and it's also hard to get aircraft loans for that price. Oddly, they're more interested in providing loans as the airframe price goes up.

Obviously you can only swing what you can swing. A Cherokee seems like a good choice to me. My friend bought his Cherokee 180 for about $35k with his girlfriend probably 5 years ago now. The engine was mid time (although overhauled in a barn, I don't really trust it), interior and exterior were probably about a 5/10, and avionics similar. There's actually a lot you can do yourself with interior and exterior to make a 5/10 a lot better without much other than a time investment.

I'd say look around at Cherokees and see what you could swing price wise. It'll fit the two of you plus your stuff. I know that around here there's a Cherokee (I think a Warrior) for sale that probably meets your price range. It's in a bit of ratty shape, but certainly would fit your needs. If you want I'll look into it for you.

Y'know, I hear all these great things about Grummans on here (they go 135 knots! They handle like a fighter!), but about a year ago I went to Hortmann at PNE and got checked out in a very new Tiger. I was unimpressed and underwhelmed. It didn't go anywhere near 135, it performed pretty much just like a good Archer (115-120) and while the handling was a little better, it certainly wasn't stupdendous. :dunno:

Come back out and fly mine. Its a pretty average Tiger and I get 135 knots at 70% power. I flightplan for 130 KTAS and always meet or beat that which includes the time in the pattern.

Herb's Tiger may have been out of rig, or displaying a number of issues rental planes have. I know lots of people with Tigers and even the 30 year old ones like mine when in decent shape and properly rigged get 130 - 135 knots and sometimes more.

They're not for everyone, just those with discerning tastes. :D

I'm seeing some Stinson 108's in that price range. Franklin engine is a bit of a minus...

For what you want, a Cherokee 140 would be a good choice. Safe, stable, forgiving and will lift a surprising amount. Two people, fuel to the tabs and it will carry all you can pack in the back and still cruise at 105kts. Straightforward maintanence, easy to insure and all at 8 gal/hr. If you find one that's been upgraded to 160hp, that's a plus. Do you need it to be IFR equipped?

Gary

1970 BELLANCA VIKING 17-30A • $29,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE OR TRADE • 2400TTA 1000SMOH 200STOP Garmin 250XL KX-155 Century II DME Cleveland Wheels/Brakes Fresh Annual • Contact Ed Watson, Owner - located Lock Haven, PA USA • Telephone: 800-224-7511 . 570-748-5123 . 570-745-2290 • Fax: 570-893-4218 • Posted May 12, 2009

1968 Bellanca Viking 300 17-30, N4839V Ser # 30100, Engine IO-520D, 300HP,1570-TTAF & Engine, Narco MK 12D, AT150 Transponder, Narco CP 136, King KX 170B, Annual 7/08, Complete Logs, Interior & Exterior VERY Good Condition, Same Owners since 1968, Absolutely no repairs needed - ready to fly and put a smile on your face for many years! • Contact Rich Dalgewicz, Owner - located Cincinnati, OH USA • Telephone: 513-752-4575 • Fax: 513-752-0618 • Posted May 6, 2009

That Viking is a lot of plane for that money, and its in Lock Haven too. If your gonna get a Viking and are on the East coast you want to take it to Tom Witmer at N47. I wouldn't touch a Viking without him inspecting it.

If you find one that's been upgraded to 160hp, that's a plus.

Very true. Prior to the Tiger, I had a 140 with the stock 150 HP engine. Gary's climbs much better than mine. They are great planes, especially with the HC upgrade.

LONG EZ • $27,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 1984 Long EZ – N555GA – 390 TT Approx 1400 SMOH 0235 L2C Lycoming Empty Wt 886 Solid Gas Tanks No Leaks New Annual – Plan bult stock Long EZ Located Boise ID – Trade Luscombe Ercoupe C-140 Pa-11 or ? Contact Bob - 208.392.5669 • Contact Bob Monson, Owner - located Meridian, ID USA • Telephone: 208.392.5669 . • Posted May 24, 2009

STAND-OUT 1959 CESSNA 175 • $33,000 • FOR SALE OR TRADE • Classic 1959 Cessna 175. Aircraft is very sharp and has been refinished. It was stripped and repainted with Imron. Interior is all new: Airtex wool headliner, door, side panels, and seat covers. New: one-piece windshield, beacon, tires, Slick mags, Sky-tec push button starter, door seals, voltage regulator, battery, and more. June annual. VFR panel w/ King KX170B, and transponder. It runs, flies, and handles beautifully. Also comes with a complete GO-300 engine as a spare! TTAF 2725 TSMO 1050, -approximate since flies regularly. All logs are complete. Trades may be considered. • Contact Matt Buckley, Owner - located New Carlisle, OH USA • Telephone: 9378829310 • Posted April 19, 2009 •

the spare engine is worth 9k

Attachments

• 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Our flying club is fixing to sell a 1978 Archer that might just qualify for you. It's the best equipped Archer you'll find on the market short of the recent glass cockpit models: IFR Garmin 430, dme, STEC autopilot, strikefinder, adf (picks up Rush fine, might actually work for ndb's, I'm not sure), strobes, four seat intercom, fairly new transponder. Downsides: engine over TBO (but flying fine) and needs paint. PM if interested.

Reason for sale: We want a DA40 or newer Archer.

"Club Aicraft" = Trainer, beat to crap. high timer.

No doubt about it, but there's a lot of maintenance and repair exposure with an old 210...
Trapper John

Talk to the owners that fly one and they will tell you that is an OTW.

If you remember to put the gear handle down, it will save you a bunch of money.

plus a aggressive annual, proper servicing, and an A&P that is not trying to make you his retirement system helps.

Nick not sure I agree with the suggestion for a Chrokee 140 of course it is a fantastic plane as is a warrior. I got my IR in the warrior but you intimated that you needed something large enough to fit you and your GF. Now your a big guy and I have no idea how big your GF is and I'm not gonna ask.

I think a Cherokee 140 may be a tad close for you. The short wings (TriPacers) I've seen, seem to be roomier than the 140s. Certainly ask someone who knows perhaps Tom or Barb ( oneshort) as she has one.

Nick,
Do not dismiss the Beech A23-24 line. They all have a generous useful load allowing body and baggage for 2 healthy adults and still carry enough fuel to make3 hour trips routine.

You give up a knot or two in speed but you get a cabin big enough for wide shouldered adults to sit in comfortably. (I don't care how much you like the person sitting next to you, If you touch shoulders for 3 hours in 90 degree weather, you are going to get heat rash)

They are solid, stable and reliable.

There is a 140 on our ramp in very good condition with less then 300 SMOH, not sure about IFR, been to long since I gave it a good look. The guy really keeps after it. His cherokee went in for annual right after our Archer and got a very good report from the guy that takes care of our bird. He was asking under your number Nick. Mary and I have considered the plane if our club deal ever falls through.

-----------------------------------------------------------

With the 1725 SMOH on this bird I would think that opens plenty of wiggle room for negotiation.

For Sale: 1969 Piper Cherokee 140B, N95091, Ser # 28-25805. $27,995
AFTT : 4,139, SMOH: 1725, New Paint and Interior 12/2002.
Last Annual 4/2009, Last IFR Cert. 7/2008
KMA 20 Audio Panel with Marker Beacon
KX-155 Nav/Com, w/KI-208
Terra TXN-920 Com
KNS-80 VOR/LOC/GS/DME/RNAV
KI-206 VOR/LOC/GS Rectilinear Course Deviation (New 2003)
Garmin GTX-320 Digital Transponder (New 2004)
Collins ADF, Northstar M1 Loran
Digital Clock, Digital Tach, Digital EGT/OAT/CHT
Vertiacl Card Magnetic Compass
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/specs/73301

There is a 140 on our ramp in very good condition with less then 300 SMOH, not sure about IFR, been to long since I gave it a good look. The guy really keeps after it.

That looks to be a nice plane for the money...

I helped a friend of mine sell his '77 Cherokee Cruiser this week. His business collapsed and the plane was out of annual, and the bank was preparing to take it.

It sold for $15,000, and in my estimation it needed about $3,000 to be spent on it.

Check around with the local banks and walk the ramps at the airports, there are some real bargins to be had right now.

Last edited:
What you're talking about Nick, Cherokee definitely fits the bill. Mine hauls plus-sized adults in comfort all the time, although I doubt the DAs here are what you experience in the Southwest. Then again, you can always fill it to the tabs. Now's the time, lots of bargains to be had.

Get something fun:

STARDUSTER II - MINT • $34,500 • FOR SALE BY OWNERPerfect 1972 Starduster II Complete restoration 2004 Lycoming 0-360 low time engine Inverted fuel, spin off oil filter, open or closed cockpit KX 155 Nav, KRN 78 transponder Last annual Oct 2008. This plane is serial #100. I have all original plans. Painted with Airteck paint. The canopy is a full canopy. • Contact Jay J. Sanger, Owner - located Hereford, AZ USA • Telephone: 520-266-0001 . • Posted June 3, 2009 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser

-or-

1949 CESSNA 170A • $35,000 • FOR SALE OR TRADEContinental C-145 2237 TT 0 hrs since overhaul, Complete logs, fresh annual, nice interior and headliner, Garmin 250, new aero classic tires 600x6, new windshield, Mccauley 7653 prop, 6 new eci titon cylinder assemblies and piston pins, all machine work done at Aircraft Specialities, new used gear legs sandblasted, primed and painted, no corrosion, Alaska bush wheel on tail, elt transponder, 4 place intercom, pponk gear boxes, engine heater. Will trade for classic car. • Contact Robert W. Loomis, Owner - located Kalamazoo, MI USA • Telephone: 269-208-6037 • Fax: 269-276-9746 • Posted June 1, 2009

-or-

VANS RV4 1993 • $35,000 • FOR SALELycoming 0 360 180 H.P. Hartzell constant speed , tall gear. Excellent workmanship throughout. 500 T.T., 2000 engine since new. Basic V.F.R. night. Excellent flying R.V. fun • Contact Mark Barber, Owner - located Shady Cove, OR USA • Telephone: 541-821-3248 . 541-8783435 . • Fax: 541-8783329 • Posted May 29, 20

Back