3 Die in Indiana Plane Crash

I was in that vicinity yesterday afternoon - it was windy & gusty but otherwise CAVU. The winds died down as the sun went down and it was a clear night back in Columbus. Looks like they were going to land at HLB Batesville when all hell must have broke loose. Very sad.

Yeah, winds were out off 220* yesterday so it looks like they were on a left downwind for 18 at HLB. My comment is based on the fact they turned away from the field instead of turning base, if FlightAware can be trusted.

I was in that vicinity yesterday afternoon - it was windy & gusty but otherwise CAVU. The winds died down as the sun went down and it was a clear night back in Columbus. Looks like they were going to land at HLB Batesville when all hell must have broke loose. Very sad.

Was it Batesville? Not much light around there at night. Pretty easy to get disoriented with the hills and the big lake.

Did I get it wrong? Looks like they went from MD to MO in the morning, with a stop in Columbus IN, and were returning in the evening, MO to MD and had just departed Columbus IN after a 1 hour stop. Looks like they were climbing eastbound for home and around 7000msl started a descent, slowed to 100kts around 5000msl, then began turning north and south during the descent.

Also, this wasn't a Pilot's & Paws flight, was it? I read something about 1 of 2 dogs surviving. I can't see hauling 2 dogs on a 1 day round trip, that's why I think it was.

All of the above is a guess based on my observation.

I can't see hauling 2 dogs on a 1 day round trip, that's why I think it was.

I can't speak about any other dogs but mine...but he's spent some long days in the plane with me over the years, doesn't bother him a bit.

Last edited:
Why does this sound like a fuel contamination?

Looks like they tried to go into Greensburg, and missed it, didn't make it back to the runway.
I think they went to Batesville instead. (KHLB) They seemed to have enough altitude but looks like they turned the wrong way. Maybe the rwy wasn't lit? It would suck to make it down to the airport vicinity and not be able to land.
R.I.P.

Airport closed Dec 1. No lights to activate.

So very sad.

A person who knew the pilot well posted on BT, very sad, one of the pilots is a NTSB investigator, daughter was able to get a text out.

Paul Schuda, Director of the NTSB Training Center and a major in CAP. The pilot of the aircraft was also a CAP major.

Flying Magazine story here.

A person who knew the pilot well posted on BT, very sad, one of the pilots is a NTSB investigator, daughter was able to get a text out.

Paul Schuda, Director of the NTSB Training Center and a major in CAP. The pilot of the aircraft was also a CAP major.

Flying Magazine story here.
Ugh. That’s horrible. :(

Shouldn't have been that disorienting. Plenty of lights on the ground, and stars in a clear sky. I've flown that area at night before, honestly no big whip.

Back