3,000 foot runway... 3,500 foot landing on Catalina Island :(

The problem is not with the Cirrus aircraft, the problem is the idiot holding the stick. I've landed there many times, day and night, even when the VASI was out (someone landed on it) in all sorts of airplanes, never had a problem. Wrigley used to come in in his old Citation with no TRs. He had to land well past mid field not to make that.

+1

This, like almost all of our accidents is simple pilot error. I've been flying a Cirrus out of a 2100 ft runway for 2 years and it's a complete picnic if you know what you are doing.

Joe, Zap, you know Corona has such an ambiance. Yet it's more like an attractive nuisance. As bad as it can get at AJO, I would hate to see the jackboots take control.

Mike, you certainly are more knowledgeable about AJO than I, yet I disagree it is only the same 5-10 bad actors. Sitting on the bench at the pumps was one of my favorite past times. Time and again, I have seen quite nearly every pilot act stupidly on any given Saturday. The various Vans groups arriving en masse was guaranteed to make one think of the Keystone Kops. Arriving at Corona can be like walking across the freeway at rush hour. But there is that certain charm which I would hate to see disappear.

I admit, I have a soft spot for Corona.

Wrigley used to come in in his old Citation with no TRs. He had to land well past mid field not to make that.
January 1984, a Lear 24 landing on rwy 22 at AVX didn't get stopped in time and went over the cliff at the west end, six fatal.

There was the inevitable media clamor that the airport must be too dangerous. In a refreshing counterpoint, L.A. television station KTLA broadcast video of a landing on that runway from inside a similar Lear 24, flown by Clay Lacy with anchorman/pilot Hal Fishman in the right seat, and another reporter and a cameraman in back, showing it could be done safely.

January 1984, a Lear 24 landing on rwy 22 at AVX didn't get stopped in time and went over the cliff at the west end, six fatal.

There was the inevitable media clamor that the airport must be too dangerous. In a refreshing counterpoint, L.A. television station KTLA broadcast video of a landing on that runway from inside a similar Lear 24, flown by Clay Lacy with anchorman/pilot Hal Fishman in the right seat, and another reporter and a cameraman in back, showing it could be done safely.

The Lear driver had landed a bit hot but still could have stopped. What happened there was he got fooled by the crown and thought he was going to run out of runway, tried to go around, didn't get spooled up in time and went off the end.

It wasn't the last time a light jet went over the end. Jeff, you are such a wealth of historical reference. (Did I just say you are one of the ancients?) Hal Fishman was among several of the area's TV reporters who were long time active pilots.

It wasn't the last time a light jet went over the end. Jeff, you are such a wealth of historical reference. (Did I just say you are one of the ancients?) Hal Fishman was among several of the area's TV reporters who were long time active pilots.

What other jets have gone off the end?

After you landing on runway 22 after pilot usually don't see 1000 foot of remaining runway due to hump. A lot of people slammed their brakes thinking that they wouldn't make it

After you landing on runway 22 after pilot usually don't see 1000 foot of remaining runway due to hump. A lot of people slammed their brakes thinking that they wouldn't make it

It sounds like they need runway distance remaining signs, if they don't already have them. (See AIM 2-3-13.) I'm not sure how many GA pilots know what they are, though.

It sounds like they need runway distance remaining signs, if they don't already have them. (See AIM 2-3-13.) I'm not sure how many GA pilots know what they are, though.

They need this sign:

3723961589_ebb95cc404.jpg

If a pilot needs distance markers to land a 4000 pound aircraft on a 3000 foot strip at <1000 MSL, he is in need of serious remedial training.

If a pilot needs distance markers to land a 4000 pound aircraft on a 3000 foot strip at <1000 MSL, he is in need of serious remedial training.

What they should do is paint a big "half way" stripe that people will see from the pattern so that they realize that no, they are not running out of runway. The crown is what causes most people the real problem.

Maybe I just haven't landed on enough humped runways, but how do you get a good look at the entire runway and airport during a visual approach, then forget how long the runway is? Or are they suddenly astonished to see that the runway has apparently shrunk while they were on short final? :rolleyes2:

Never been a big problem for me, 'specially as I usually have a spot in mind where I will go around if all wheels are not on the surface (a windsock, a building, an intersecting taxiway). I think they call it "situational awareness", or something like that. :D

Maybe I just haven't landed on enough humped runways, but how do you get a good look at the entire runway and airport during a visual approach, then forget how long the runway is? Or are they suddenly astonished to see that the runway has apparently shrunk while they were on short final? :rolleyes2:
KAVX really is different. It's like landing on an ironing board; the terrain on three sides is several hundred feet lower than the runway, and the marine haze often leaves no well-defined horizon. Normal visual cues are way out of whack. Approach end of 22 is 1560' MSL; 2/3 of the way down (up?) the runway it levels off at 1602' and it really does look like the end of the world as you're touching down. One just has to remember that there is another thousand feet of pavement beyond the second turnoff, despite what your eyes tell you.

I didn't even notice the hump when I landed there.

Nor did I. You have to try Machias, ME to really experience a "hump"- 2909 feet, on 18 get the wheels planted at the threshold, the downhill after midpoint will make it HARD to stop beyond. Plus, it really is downhill!

Back