2nd to 3rd class issues?

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
My 3rd class medical expired in June 2015. Since I've been on a hiatus from flying I've just been waiting on the reforms to be implemented. But, I'm getting itchy to do a little flying.

Scenario: if I got a 2nd class (just for fun) would there be any harm in letting it expire in two years and going back to flying under the 3rd class reform regs? I know if I wanted to keep the 2nd class a visit to the AME would be in order.

No problem at all. Note that you don't get any of the "second class" privileges after TWELVE months not 24. It's good for third class things for whatever the third class duration would be for your age (24 or 60 months depending).

My 3rd class medical expired in June 2015. Since I've been on a hiatus from flying I've just been waiting on the reforms to be implemented. But, I'm getting itchy to do a little flying.

Scenario: if I got a 2nd class (just for fun) would there be any harm in letting it expire in two years and going back to flying under the 3rd class reform regs? I know if I wanted to keep the 2nd class a visit to the AME would be in order.

• Second Class Medical Certificate: A second class medical certificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
  • 12 calendar months for operations requiring a second class medical certificate, or
  • 24 calendar months for operations requiring a third class medical certificate, if the airman is age 40 or over on or before the date of the examination, or
  • 60 calendar months for operations requiring a third class medical certificate if the airman has not reached age 40 on or before the date of examination

I always went for a Second Class even when I only needed a Third. I'd get another one when the Third Class privileges were about to expire.

If you have an issue with getting a 3rd (apparently bad enough to "wait it out") then why do you want a 2nd?

If you have an issue with getting a 3rd (apparently bad enough to "wait it out") then why do you want a 2nd?
The only difference between the 2nd and 3rd class medical certificate is the vision requirement.

Is the OP under 40? If so, it might make more sense to get a medical certificate than opt for the 3rd class medical relief.

Yes, awfully presumptive paflyer. Other than controlled hypertension, I have no medical issues. In fact, I received my 2nd Class certificate earlier this week and can log PIC time again.

Yes, awfully presumptive paflyer. Other than controlled hypertension, I have no medical issues. In fact, I received my 2nd Class certificate earlier this week and can log PIC time again.
Sorry, Sister Bertrille, no malice intended, it just didn't make sense at the time since I misread your post. Congrats on rejoining your fellow airpersons!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back