2nd Notice: 11th Annual N40 HOPS Party, Wed, 7/31/13

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is your second invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation groups.)

As always, it will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 31, 2013.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=8e0bba8da4

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food -- "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country.

This year, EAA has kindly added a second night airshow, which we will be able to watch from the party -- so bring extra beer! :D

How does one find this party, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it here as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV out there! :D

Whatdya know, a photo of yours truly on the internet and the thing hasn't died from the strain. Count in your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

Now if this was HOPS beer related and being held at a certain establishment near KRAS....

Now if this was HOPS beer related and being held at a certain establishment near KRAS....

Thus, the name.

It's ALL about beer!

The first Shiner Bock I ever tasted was at the HOPS party. It's become my favorite, go-to beer.

Ah yes, Shiner, the Bud Light of Texas

Last time I went I brought something yummy (beer that is) and I will do no less this time.

I will get my hands on some Revolution Brewing for you and bring it in. If someone could get some Surly, that would certainly rock!

Thanks for the invite, Jay. I'll be there with some of Brewtown's best beer.

(note to self: secure room at UW Oshkosh for Wednesday night.)

BTW: I just picked up the coveted "2013 HOPS Party" t-shirts. The first 20 attendees receive one, free!
:D

Hey -- that's one less shirt you have to pack! lol

BTW: I just picked up the coveted "2013 HOPS Party" t-shirts. The first 20 attendees receive one, free!
:D

Hey -- that's one less shirt you have to pack! lol

So you have to be early to get one? What time is breakfast? :wink2:

So you have to be early to get one? What time is breakfast? :wink2:

Um, meet us at the Hilton. :lol:

And you're buying. :goofy:

Seriously, come mid-afternoon and plug your phone in. We usually have a Honda generator running in "The Compound" (which is sovereign Texas territory for the duration, BTW. Note the giant Texas flag!), and scads of power strips, just to charge everyone's power-starved smart phones.

What time does the party break up need to catch bus back to Appleton.

What time does the party break up need to catch bus back to Appleton.

It doesn't usually run late. Remember, this will be Day 3 (or 4) for many. After walking miles every day, and getting awakened by early B-25s departing on dawn patrol, its easy to just drift off to sleep whilst basking in that Oshkosh glow... :D

Or, bring a bag and sleep at our site. There's always room!

Is it difficult to park in n40 if you arrive midweek? I may be staying with friends nearby for a night or two and can't fit much camping gear.

Trying to get there by Wed night if I fly in but weather will probably decide that for me.

Is it difficult to park in n40 if you arrive midweek? I may be staying with friends nearby for a night or two and can't fit much camping gear.

Trying to get there by Wed night if I fly in but weather will probably decide that for me.

The answer is "sometimes".

Most years by Wednesday the "first wave" has left, opening up spots for in-filling. Some years we have three neighbors to break in throughout the week. :D

You should be okay.

The answer is "sometimes".

Most years by Wednesday the "first wave" has left, opening up spots for in-filling. Some years we have three neighbors to break in throughout the week. :D

You should be okay.

Thanks. As it gets closer i'll get some contact info... I've spent some time reading about the arrival, but not so much on the ground/taxi procedure.

Thanks. As it gets closer i'll get some contact info... I've spent some time reading about the arrival, but not so much on the ground/taxi procedure.

Ground/taxi is simple. Display GAC in the front window (for General Aviation Camping), and the EAA flagmen wave you in the right direction.

Do you need a wrist band to get to your parking area?

Do you need a wrist band to get to your parking area?

Technically, yes. Realistically, no, since it is possible to camp in the North 40 without ever entering the Airventure grounds. And you technically only need the wristband to get on the grounds.

If you're just coming to the party, you can slip through the little "people gates" near the Super 8, or the other one facing Hardee's. They are open during the convention so that campers can go shopping, and are unstaffed. Coming in through these back doors, however, you won't be able to check with EAA to see where the party is, but hopefully someone will post the camp site here.

And remember: what I'm telling you is based on previous experience. EAA could have moved or closed those gates since last year. Those gates have been there forever, but that doesn't mean they're still there today!

Looks like we will be flying in Wed around 7 if weather cooperates. Taking a rental 172 with a nice payload, unless a couple people bail out, then we will take a 2 seater. I'll be sure to bring some local beers!

Looks like we will be flying in Wed around 7 if weather cooperates. Taking a rental 172 with a nice payload, unless a couple people bail out, then we will take a 2 seater. I'll be sure to bring some local beers!

Mmmmm...Pennsylvania beer... :D

If I come it'll have to be with a purchased in Wisconsin six pack since I don't have an ounce to spare of useful load.

If I come it'll have to be with a purchased in Wisconsin six pack since I don't have an ounce to spare of useful load.

This prolly shouldn't be said out loud, but the OSH Pick N Save has a walk-in beer cooler with an amazing selection of regional brews.

We buy our beloved Shiner Bock (and our favorite WI beer, Sprecher Amber) right there. :D

This prolly shouldn't be said out loud, but the OSH Pick N Save has a walk-in beer cooler with an amazing selection of regional brews.

We buy our beloved Shiner Bock (and our favorite WI beer, Sprecher Amber) right there. :D

But Jay, I thought the whole reason for that large cooler at Pick and Save was to support your and many other parties at Osh :)

Careful. Down the other aisle, there might be Margarita Mix. :)

Anything special for bringing 2 different 6 packs of Colorado brews? Just kidding I may mix it up with 3-4 different breweries in a 12/pack.

Or any requests?

Anything special for bringing 2 different 6 packs of Colorado brews? Just kidding I may mix it up with 3-4 different breweries in a 12/pack.

Or any requests?

So long as the word "Light" isn't in the name, all beers are welcomed with relish and enthusiasm!

I shall stick with the small brewing company's, they make some fine products which actually possess alcohol and taste!

Thanks looking forward to it.

sorry i won't be able to make it, i would bring some of my favorite St. Louis microbrews.

Jay, I plan on arriving sometime that wednesday and camping wherever I end up in the north 40. Question for you: if I show up with (gasp) warm beer, do you usually have coolers of ice available for chilling?

Tim

Jay, I plan on arriving sometime that wednesday and camping wherever I end up in the north 40. Question for you: if I show up with (gasp) warm beer, do you usually have coolers of ice available for chilling?

Tim

Warm beer? Blasphemer! :D

We usually have three enormous coolers -- two for beer, one for "everything else". Odds are, there will be ice in them, and we can chill the hot beer...

Warm beer? Blasphemer! :D

We usually have three enormous coolers -- two for beer, one for "everything else". Odds are, there will be ice in them, and we can chill the hot beer...

Sorry, gang, but for "legal reasons" that most of you with ex-wives can understand, Cyndi and I will miss this year's festivities. We will be there with bells on next year.

Jim

Sorry, gang, but for "legal reasons" that most of you with ex-wives can understand, Cyndi and I will miss this year's festivities. We will be there with bells on next year.

Jim

I understand your absence, Jim -- but you can still send Cyndi... :D

Mary and Becca will make sure that she runs up your Visa bill just fine. They know ALL the jewelry vendors in the Fly Market... lol

Back