25KTS Landing

I've managed a 20-25 knot touchdown with 15-18 knot headwind right down the center line in my CT. Tends to **** off everyone behind me as I taxi a half mile to the midfield turnoff.

I like that CFI.

I feel all UL's get thrown around the same way in 5kt wind.

Its the crosswind component that makes this one interesting....Amazing little plane.

Awesome!
I also think that is one great CFI

Heh. I like his "Don't let it land" repetition. You were workin'! Nice job.

One question, why are you using the vernier twist on the throttle all the time? If that's the only way to move it in the Evector, I'd not like that at all. You're going to need to move it FAST someday in a gust or a go-around. Could need to go up in a hurry, could need to chop it...

I'd get out of the habit of flying the vernier like that, and learn to modulate your smoothness (or jamming it up/pulling it off immediately without smoothness) manually, to be more ready for that eventuality. It going to happen.

Case in point... Earlier in the video when he was concerned about your airspeed and you were twisting like a fool.... Just yank it. Or shove it. You'll learn (from the CFI) if you're TOO harsh with it, but in turbulence, just PUT it where you need it.

If you ever go do any formation training in turbulence, you'll wonder if the throttle cable is going to break off by the end of the flight. You'll NEVER have moved it that much or that fast repetitively before. Heh.

Obviously remain wing whatever limitations your particular power plant requires and be kind to your engine... But I really don't like to see someone fighting with a vernier like that and behind on positive aircraft control because it won't spin fast enough.

I had the same concern with vernier throttle. That would not be good for me.

Least I forget... That was indeed a good landing!

Good job, keep practicing on those bad wx days. There is usually very little traffic and you'll be confident and prepared when you really need those skills someday.

No vernier throttle on my -10, just friction adjustment. I was also wondering why the mfr installed it. Only vernier mixture and prop on mine, which I like.

As I said on another forum, you handled that really well.

I have landed my CTSW in 17G22, but it was pretty much down the runway. Even then the gusts can be "interesting" in a very light airplane. I have done 10kt direct crosswind, and it's definitely some work.

And as I asked on another forum, is the angled final to the right runway a normal procedure?

The instructor did not seem to correct it, so I'm imagining its what he wanted.

Just seemed a bit odd to me - I would try to be on the extended centerline unless the was a good reason not to be (wake turbulence?)

Fast Eddie, you are correct.. The angled final is characteristic of KSNA.. Due to the proximity of the parallel runway, they typically want to see a 10-15 degree offset on both takeoff and landing...

Got it.

I was wondering because it looks like much the same setup as PBI, and we always came straight in.

It's that tiny one on the south side.

pbi-airport-map.jpg

I can see that... (As I understand it) The requirement for the offset is a result of the proximity to the runways and the typical winds from the SW. These winds will push the Wake Turbulence onto the parallel runway used for GA aircraft. I guess when the airport was expanded, they could only put the big runway on the West side due to the property configuration and failed to meet current setback standards for parallel runways and therefore require the offset.

I say the same thing when I'm trying to will the plane into doing something. "Come on, Baby!"

If you ever go do any formation training in turbulence, you'll wonder if the throttle cable is going to break off by the end of the flight. You'll NEVER have moved it that much or that fast repetitively before. Heh.
Yeah, that's definitely the truth. The engine gets a bit of a workout.

I say the same thing when I'm trying to will the plane into doing something. "Come on, Baby!"
...aaand then mine usually end, "you f***ing b**ch."

Eddie,

Have a look at he VSI on the six-pack page on your 496. I think its pretty usable but it does get you looking at a six-pack that has a gps altimeter. I don't think that is a problem because it is smaller than your primary altimeter and that intuitively makes it 'rough'.

Garmin_496_Gps_Map_Aviation_Xm_Receiver_450usd.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely the truth. The engine gets a bit of a workout.

...aaand then mine usually end, "you f***ing b**ch."

Yeah, well you have to at least try sweet talking her although it rarely works.

Eddie,

Have a look at he VSI on the six-pack page on your 496. I think its pretty usable but it does get you looking at a six-pack that has a gps altimeter. I don't think that is a problem because it is smaller than your primary altimeter and that intuitively makes it 'rough'.

Garmin_496_Gps_Map_Aviation_Xm_Receiver_450usd.jpg

Thanks.

I was aware of that screen.

A fellow on the Cirrus forum demonstrated that it was enough in an emergency to control an aircraft, though with the delay inherent - especially in "heading" (which is actually track) - one had to be very deliberate with control input so as not to overcontrol. The "turn coordinator" display was found to be especially "laggy".

And the GPS altitude displayed might be adequate at pattern altitudes. Much above that it may begin to diverge noticeably from indicated altitude with non-standard lapse rates. If used in cruise, that could put you nose-to-nose with opposite direction traffic the hemispheric rule was designed to separate you from.* Of course, it's probably still useful for terrain clearance - much better than indicated altitude.

My 496 is my primary navigation in my Sky Arrow. I've tried a variety of screens and settled on the split screen that shows a map on the left, and 4 fields and a faux HSI on the right.

15421910260_8b4b5597be.jpg

But it's a marvelous device, and I can see others preferring other displays.

Sorry for the hijack.

* I once had an altimeter fail enroute when the setting knob fell off. In that case I reverted to the GPS altitude on my 496, but I was very much aware of its limitations.

Last edited:
From the SNA airport remarks:
VFR ACFT: TO AVOID OVERFLIGHT OF RY 20R: RY 20L ARR FLY FINAL AT 15 DEG ANGLE TO RY; RY 20L DEPS TURN 15 DEG LEFT AT DEP END OF RY. TO AVOID OVERFLIGHT OF RY 02L: RY 02R DEPS TURN 15 DEG RIGHT AT FREEWAY.

There's actually nothing about offsetting RY 02R arrivals, kinda surprising.

+1 on the good job.

+1 on being ready to mash the throttle. The time will come when you are going to need instant power changes.

Back