250 Knots IAS below 10,000 feet - is it adhered to?

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
I fly a lot thru northern California Central Valley. Over the past year (including last week) I have seen (a little too close for comfort) mulitple corporate jets exceeding 250 knots indicated on my adsb readout below 10,000 feet.

Is this an erroneous interpretion of mine regarding the adsb read-out I am seeing - or is the 250 knot limit not enforced?

Or?
TIA,
Gary

I fly a lot thru northern California Central Valley. Over the past year (including last week) I have seen (a little too close for comfort) mulitple corporate jets exceeding 250 knots indicated on my adsb readout below 10,000 feet.

Is this an erroneous interpretion of mine regarding the adsb read-out I am seeing - or is the 250 knot limit not enforced?

Or?
TIA,
Gary

How are you seeing their indicated speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or?
TIA,
Gary
What you are seeing is ground speed. The limit is for indicated airspeed.

Also the speed restriction is not applicable in B. But bottom line, they push the envelope. Movers and Shakers got places to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, I have heard countless crews tell ATC they tossed the anchor out when asked by ATC about their speed.

The jet I fly will slow to 250 before 10,000 however the auto throttles can be a little sluggish correcting and I’ve seen 265 indicated with a wind shift before. No big deal as long as it’s correcting

Or?
TIA,
Gary

ain't no way your adsb is telling you their indicated airspeed

"Unless otherwise authorized..."
Emphasis mine:
(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.)

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
Apparently ATC and the Administrator aren’t the same entity.

The military has exemptions. In my experience, the rule was mostly ignored and the waiver not strictly followed.

Back before I got my Private Pilot cert. I used to go out to KTPA lounge area with my handheld and follow aircraft from ground to tower and then over to departure. It surprised me how many times controllers said "Do not exceed 250kts below 10k" or something along those lines to departing aircraft.

ain't no way your adsb is telling you their indicated airspeed

Thanks partly what i was wondering.

Can you explain the difference between what i am seeing on the adsb compared to what they may be seeing as IAS?

And for the cynical readers, Im serious about learning here, I dont know the answer.

Thanks partly what i was wondering.

Can you explain the difference between what i am seeing on the adsb compared to what they may be seeing as IAS?

And for the cynical readers, Im serious about learning here, I dont know the answer.

ADS-B works through GPS, which knows how your position (relative to the ground) is changing and how fast. It doesn't know anything about how the air might be moving. Flightaware reads the same thing: ground track.
And airspeed indicator knows how fast you're moving through the air. It doesn't know anything about where the ground is.
If there's wind, they'll be different.

In a standard atmosphere, an indicated air speed of 250 knots at 10,000 feet is a true airspeed of 291 knots. Add tailwinds and you could see a GPS ground speed of 320 knots or more for a plane with an airspeed indicator pointing straight at 250.

ADS-B works through GPS, which knows how your position (relative to the ground) is changing and how fast. It doesn't know anything about how the air might be moving. Flightaware reads the same thing: ground track.
And airspeed indicator knows how fast you're moving through the air. It doesn't know anything about where the ground is.
If there's wind, they'll be different.
Thank you for the explanation.

In a standard atmosphere, an indicated air speed of 250 knots at 10,000 feet is a true airspeed of 291 knots. Add tailwinds and you could see a GPS ground speed of 320 knots or more for a plane with an airspeed indicator pointing straight at 250.
Ok, now i get it. Thanks!

As long as one knew the winds at their altitude and temp one could calculate the IAS, at least fairly accurately right?

Emphasis mine:

Apparently ATC and the Administrator aren’t the same entity.
THey are if the administrator delegates his authority. Same thing that allows the FSDO guys to determine what data is "acceptable to the administrator" on mods.

Not all ads-b installations emit the position and in that case the provider can use Multilateration (MLAT) to locate the aircraft. This is not as accurate as GP and results in errors that may give erroneous calculated speeds. I'm not sure how many aircraft capable of more than 250 knots will not emit GPS.

e.g.
See the "Data source - MLAT" and wobbly speed graph.
upload_2019-4-5_8-27-53.png

When I was at the airlines we never ever intentionally went over 250KIAS below 10k.

THey are if the administrator delegates his authority. Same thing that allows the FSDO guys to determine what data is "acceptable to the administrator" on mods.
And there have been cases where the Administrator delegated his authority with exceptions to the 250-knot rule in Class B below 10,000...but the authority was specifically given and then rescinded. I haven’t heard of any others with regard to speed limits.

Also keep in mind, about the only person who can report you is the controller working you. Generally the controller isn't going to care (or have time to care) if you're a little over speed and they will issue a speed restriction if they need to ensure separation.

I've never been questioned outside of Bravo airspace for exceeding 250. I have been questioned a few times while inside the lateral bound but under the floor for exceeding 200. They usually let it slide when I tell them I am a piston airplane and cannot go down and slow down.

Last edited:
I've never been questioned outside of Bravo airspace for exceeding 250. I have been questioned a few times while inside for exceeding 200. They usually let it slide when I tell them I am a piston airplane and cannot go down and slow down.

????? Inside the Bravo you can do 250, it’s UNDER the Bravo you have to do 200.

You guys are correct, by inside I was thinking inside the mode C veil but I was still under the Bravo floor.

I think people tend to get confused because the ceiling of most Class B airspace is 10,000’. But to be clear, there is no speed limit for Class B airspace.

Also, I haven’t witnessed at any point in my professional career - either as a crewmember or jumpseater - someone intentionally go faster than 250 below 10,000’ unless we were either far enough out over the water to be legal, or adding a few knots to get the autopilot to lower the nose a little more while in Level Change or IAS. Never just to ‘go fast’.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind, about the only person who can report you is the controller working you. Generally the controller isn't going to care (or have time to care) if you're a little over speed and they will issue a speed restriction if they need to ensure separation.

And if they do care (separation), then they’ll just assign a speed restriction. I always went with vectors vs speed adjustments for the occasional speeder. That works best in the non SID / STAR environment.

Was the Concorde authorized by the administrator to exceed the speed rule? I feel like 250 knots would have been on the slower side for the Concorde

Was the Concorde authorized by the administrator to exceed the speed rule? I feel like 250 knots would have been on the slower side for the Concorde
91.117 (d)

91.117 (d)
"(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed."
Which seems beautifully vague. I'm sure the Concorde can be operated "safely" under 250. Wonder what the official SOP is or if there is a specific Vspeed this is referring to, like Va for instance. If we go by certain minimum speeds then a fully laden swallow (I mean 747) will have a minimum flaps clean speed well above 250 knots.. do they climb to 10K with flaps out, or do they accelerate up to 280 or so and clean up?

Also nuts, is the sheer speeds that jet planes fly. If I recall correctly from the days I was an even bigger aviation dork and had more free time on my hands the PMDG 747 climb speeds were 250 knots to 10K then 340 knots to FL250 transitioning to Mach 0.84 for the remainder of the climb. 340 knots indicated for a transport civilian jet. NUTS

I listen to departures out of ORD and quite often Asian bound heavies will ask for authorization to exceed the 250 knot speed restriction.

I listen to departures out of ORD and quite often Asian bound heavies will ask for authorization to exceed the 250 knot speed restriction.
Which implies that "ATC" and "the Administrator" are ubiquitous

Back