250 knot restriction dead?

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Noticing both yesterday on the human mailing tube and also watching the ADS-B receiver over the house for a couple of weeks...

Knowing full well that airliners are regularly issued SID/STARs that remove the restriction...

Is the 250 knot restriction below 10,000 essentially dead?

Doesn't seem like I see anyone not on a SID or STAR making any effort to slow up below 10,000. Almost never really.

Maybe I missed it and it got removed from the regs? Sure doesn't seem like anyone gives a crap about it anymore -- if anyone ever did.

Noticing both yesterday on the human mailing tube and also watching the ADS-B receiver over the house for a couple of weeks...

Knowing full well that airliners are regularly issued SID/STARs that remove the restriction...

Doesn't seem like I see anyone not on a SID or STAR making any effort to slow up below 10,000. Almost never really.

Maybe I missed it and it got removed from the regs? Sure doesn't seem like anyone gives a crap about it anymore -- if anyone ever did.
Sids/Stars do not remove the restriction. If there is a speed published greater than 250 it is 10,000 or above, and it is understood you must slow below 10,000.

The restriction is tightly adhered to.

Restriction is still there in the U.S. That's a biggie to not violate.

Are the human mailing tube and the ADS-B receiver showing IAS, TAS, or GS? The speed limit is in IAS. At 10,000' MSL 250 KIAS is about 300 KTAS, then you have the wind. The 250 knot speed limit is still in effect.

Also... Keep in mind the 250 is indicated speed. At 10,000' with a tailwind that can easily yield well over 300 kts GS.

We always do our best to hit 250@10. The only time we bust it is when we get a late crossing restrictions below 100. Say 140 to cross XYZ @60 and your closer than normal.
So its either bust the speed a bit or miss the ALT.
ALT always wins.

Steel

We always do our best to hit 250@10. The only time we bust it is when we get a late crossing restrictions below 100. Say 140 to cross XYZ @60 and your closer than normal.
So its either bust the speed a bit or miss the ALT.
ALT always wins.

Steel

Just ask for some relief on the altitude restriction.

I have never heard it waived although it used to say in the regs that atc can let you go faster. Anyone heard of a '>250kt approval'?

I have never heard it waived although it used to say in the regs that atc can let you go faster. Anyone heard of a '>250kt approval'?

It was notam waiver in Houston at one point. Not sure if that still exists.

Relief of the 250 knot limit below 10,000' MSL is authorized only by the FAA Administrator. ATC can relieve the 200 knot limit below 2500' AGL within four miles of Class C and D airports.

ATC can relieve the 200 knot limit below 2500' AGL within four miles of Class C and D airports.

200 kts is a FAR is it not? I don't think ATC can waive that, but they can request it if needed. (FAR 91.117)

Last edited:
200 kts is a FAR is it not? I don't think ATC can waive that, but they can request it if needed. (FAR 91.117)

It is an FAR.

§91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Also... Keep in mind the 250 is indicated speed. At 10,000' with a tailwind that can easily yield well over 300 kts GS.

Understood. I was lookin' for the Foreflight screenshot from yesterday showing well above 250 and a calculated 15 knot tailwind passing through 10 (no, I didn't have my electronic device running at all! LOL... Whatever... Ha...), but I don't see it in my camera roll -- doesn't really matter.

Definitely wasn't a GS vs indicated thing. I could go dig it out of "auto record" since it also did that... But was just interesting. Don't care really.

We ended up 20 minutes ahead of schedule on a 3:45 flight. I think judging by the weather yesterday we weren't talking any unforecast high tailwinds... Crew just wasn't flying the economy profile.

I just realized FF probably calculated that 15 knot t/w using my airplane default of 9500' so it probably was close at 10K was way off at FL280 and later FL320. :)

Not on arrival. Occasionally on departure a heavy will ask for relief because they are too heavy to safely fly that speed. But it is pretty rare.

The Houston departure waiver ended in 2004. Outside of that, military aircraft are granted written waivers at select bases for > 250 KIAS below 10K. Of course MTRs & SUA as well.

Not on arrival. Occasionally on departure a heavy will ask for relief because they are too heavy to safely fly that speed. But it is pretty rare.

They don't have to ask in that case as the regulation already allows it. Advising ATC that you're doing it is a good idea though.

We follow it religiously. It's the law. We even brief as a "gotcha" those arrivals that have various speed restrictions but don't slow you below 250 before a fix below 10K.

I've never witnessed anyone intentionally ignore the rule. Every once in awhile I'll see someone (*never* me, of course!) cross 10K just a little hot because they got behind the curve or got distracted, but it's rare.

Yeah, IAS/TAS/GS/Tailwinds, all that stuff. After that, what's a few knots among friends?

Approach: "Lear 123 say airspeed?"
Lear: "Lear 123 at 250 knots"
Approach: "Roger, Southwest 456 say airspeed?"
SW 456: "Uh, 456 is 250 knots"

Approach: "OK Southwest 456, can you please slow to 200 knots indicated, you're over taking the lear ahead by 50 knots........."

:rolleyes:

Even in the military we follow the restriction. Didn't know that was an administrator thing though. I've asked to exceed 250 below 10k and gotten it but that was so I could meet a sudden altitude restriction I got. Told him, "I'm givin her all she's got!" If we are too heavy that our safe speed is >250 we don't bother telling ATC. Regs already allow for it. Also when we are flying in formation we will exceed 250 below 10k to catch up to the leader since we take-off with 1 minute of spacing. I have never seen a SID/STAR that had me exceed 250 below 10k.

Our regs fall in line with the FAA in that you can request to exceed 200 within 4 nm.... yada yada
But it says I will not exceed 250 below 10k except for a few special circumstances(inside a MOA, IR route, VR route, etc) or outside that NAS with host nation approval.

Last edited:
Even in the military we follow the restriction. Didn't know that was an administrator thing though. I've asked to exceed 250 below 10k and gotten it but that was so I could meet a sudden altitude restriction I got. Told him, "I'm givin her all she's got!" If we are too heavy that our safe speed is >250 we don't bother telling ATC. Regs already allow for it. Also when we are flying in formation we will exceed 250 below 10k to catch up to the leader since we take-off with 1 minute of spacing. I have never seen a SID/STAR that had me exceed 250 below 10k.

Our regs fall in line with the FAA in that you can request to exceed 200 within 4 nm....
But it says I will not exceed 250 below 10k except for a few special circumstances or outside that NAS with host nation approval.

This may have been mentioned before, but some military aircraft are waivered from the restriction. Most fighter guys make no real attempt to adhere.

This may have been mentioned before, but some military aircraft are waivered from the restriction. Most fighter guys make no real attempt to adhere.

Yep. 8 years working fighters on approach, rarely did I see them less than 350 kts on departure or arrival. If they were, it was only because they were slowing to do an IAP.

Clean, most of them can't "safely" maneuver at less than 250 ;)

Yep. 8 years working fighters on approach, rarely did I see them less than 350 kts on departure or arrival. If they were, it was only because they were slowing to do an IAP.

We had a sit down pow-wow with the local controllers once to get their opinion/approval and their take was that it was fine as long as everyone was on the same page. They seemed to be pleased that it was that much less time they had to deal with us.

We had a sit down pow-wow with the local controllers once to get their opinion/approval and their take was that it was fine as long as everyone was on the same page. They seemed to be pleased that it was that much less time they had to deal with us.

And that's exactly how military controllers look at it. If everyone is coming in at 350-400 kts GS, life is good. They're out of your hair in the least amount of time. Even when you have slow pokes like helos or C-12s in front, not a problem. Throw the fighters over them for the overhead, VFR at the initial, switch them to tower, done. Speed works.

Greater than 250 below 10,000 is approved if more than 12nm off shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should know that a crew can ask ATC for relief on a crossing restriction. It's done all the time and you know it.

Relief that would require a speed greater than 250 KIAS below 10,000' MSL is not available from ATC.

Yup, not required to so we don't. Departure is IMHO more important because you are heavyweight, definitely can't get slow then. Arrival seems to be the messy part for controllers who don't deal with us often. Anytime we go to a semi big airport for an airshow or flyby I try to talk with approach before leaving so they know what to expect (and we do too).

I don't know anything about jets, but I would imagine most of these jets have an indicated speed hold and probably press it at around 240-245 ias and let the jet climb like a bat out of hell to maintain that speed then swap to a constant rate climb and almost cruise speed after 10k. Throw some wind in there, how is ATC supposed to know exactly what your IAS is? They probably treat that speed restriction like cops do on the freeway. Sure you can go faster but don't go too fast or we'll get you. And when we get you we'll get you real good.

I hear ATC (specifically Ft. Worth Center) on frequency quite frequently giving speeds of 280-310 for spacing on airliners after clearing them below 10,000. Not sure of the legality there, just saying that it's happening.

Back