240 kts in 55 seconds

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
Here's an interesting video of a Concorde takeoff from Heathrow and an ILS approach to Dulles. The 240 kt callout comes just 55 seconds after brake release.

Captain John Hutchinson is the PF. As always, he's calm and businesslike, and sticks the landing.

Last edited:
The only Concorde I ever saw was in college in the mid-80s. They brought one to our local airport, KRDU, for some package deal. Fly Concorde to London, sail the QE2 home.

I got to see the landing, and stayed around for the takeoff. The acceleration seemed to be rapid, and it was LOUD! I've always been glad I skipped classes that day.

Saw it for the first time at Oshkosh in 1985. Years later, in 2000, we flew into OSH on the day before show opening, set up our tent behind the wing and went off airport in search of a cold beer. The TV screens in the bar were all tuned to the news about AF 4590. :(

I saw it on the ground at OSH, and in the air [very loud, especially dirty] in Cincinnati. Awesome flying machine.
The acceleration is rather lackadaisical, really; actually Prius-like! (except, of course, that it continues way beyond what a Prius can do. A Top Fuel dragster will hit 290 kts in well under four seconds.)

I saw it on the ground at DFW from a domestic airliner as we taxied past. Seemed very small. Walked through one of the engineering samples at the museum in Duxford about 1999. It was really small, 2x2 seating and you ducked to walk down the aisle. A friend at work back in the late 1980s / early 1990s had a previous employer who needed him in Europe NOW and bought a ticket on the Concorde. This was well pre 9/11 and this guy flashed his ATP card as he boarded. Rode across the Atlantic in the jump seat. Jealous? Me? Darned right!

If the supersonic biz jet works out (lower noise profile) then we may see the return of an SST (though not resembling any from the past.)

I can do it much sooner but on the other side of the flight plan.......

A Top Fuel dragster will hit 290 kts in well under four seconds.)

And that is in 1000 feet.!!

Years ago I went drag racing one summer for some unknown reason. I drove an old alcohol dragster that would do 180 in 1230 feet. That was fun. But the real fun came when trying to get stopped.... speed thrills..!!!

Oh, and brake technology is much better now than it was 30 years ago... that thing had drum brakes that would just be smoking when I got stopped, even when using the 'chute.

Back