24-month VOR check?

JustinPinnix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I had a CFII tell me that VOR receivers must be inspected by a shop every 24 months in addition to the operational check every 30 days. I can't find the regulation that backs this up.

Pitot/staic, Altimeter, and Transponder every 24 months. but VORs only 30 days that I know of.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because it doesn't exist. Your pitot/static and transponder need to be checked every 24 months, but not your VOR receivers. As long as they are operationally checked and within limits, you're good to go.

Now, maybe he was referring to the periodic testing that a VOR TRANSMITTER must undergo, but don't think that is every 24 months either.

JustinPinnix said:
That would explain why I'd never heard of it before :)

Yeah you can hear some doozies even from CFI's. I had one tell me it was ilegal to ground check a VOR unles you were at a VOT. I even showed him in the regs where he was wrong and he would not reverse his position. That was, BTW, the last day I flew with him. I was paying to learn from him not teach him.

Now, this only applies to instrument flight, I believe, right? No need (other than to verify) to check the VORs before VFR flight.

SkyHog said:
Now, this only applies to instrument flight, I believe, right? No need (other than to verify) to check the VORs before VFR flight.
Correct -- see 14 CFR 91.171 for details.

Justin, are you an AOPA member, here is the VOR regulation:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-91.html#14:2.0.1.3.10.2.6.37

PS does anyone know why it says two of those tests have to be performed at the airport of intended departure, if the test can be performed anytime within 30 days of use?? You could do the test at KXYZ in the last 30 days, but it would be invalid for departures from any other airport??

§ 91.171 VOR equipment check for IFR operations.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft under IFR using the VOR system of radio navigation unless the VOR equipment of that aircraft—

(1) Is maintained, checked, and inspected under an approved procedure; or

(2) Has been operationally checked within the preceding 30 days, and was found to be within the limits of the permissible indicated bearing error set forth in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, each person conducting a VOR check under paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall—

(1) Use, at the airport of intended departure, an FAA-operated or approved test signal or a test signal radiated by a certificated and appropriately rated radio repair station or, outside the United States, a test signal operated or approved by an appropriate authority to check the VOR equipment (the maximum permissible indicated bearing error is plus or minus 4 degrees); or

(2) Use, at the airport of intended departure, a point on the airport surface designated as a VOR system checkpoint by the Administrator, or, outside the United States, by an appropriate authority (the maximum permissible bearing error is plus or minus 4 degrees);

(3) If neither a test signal nor a designated checkpoint on the surface is available, use an airborne checkpoint designated by the Administrator or, outside the United States, by an appropriate authority (the maximum permissible bearing error is plus or minus 6 degrees); or

(4) If no check signal or point is available, while in flight—

(i) Select a VOR radial that lies along the centerline of an established VOR airway;

(ii) Select a prominent ground point along the selected radial preferably more than 20 nautical miles from the VOR ground facility and maneuver the aircraft directly over the point at a reasonably low altitude; and

(iii) Note the VOR bearing indicated by the receiver when over the ground point (the maximum permissible variation between the published radial and the indicated bearing is 6 degrees).

(c) If dual system VOR (units independent of each other except for the antenna) is installed in the aircraft, the person checking the equipment may check one system against the other in place of the check procedures specified in paragraph (b) of this section. Both systems shall be tuned to the same VOR ground facility and note the indicated bearings to that station. The maximum permissible variation between the two indicated bearings is 4 degrees.

(d) Each person making the VOR operational check, as specified in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, shall enter the date, place, bearing error, and sign the aircraft log or other record. In addition, if a test signal radiated by a repair station, as specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, is used, an entry must be made in the aircraft log or other record by the repair station certificate holder or the certificate holder's representative certifying to the bearing transmitted by the repair station for the check and the date of transmission.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 2120–0005)

§91.413 is the transponder check regulation:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-91.html#14:2.0.1.3.10.5.7.8
§91.411 is the altimeter/encoder system regulation:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-91.html#14:2.0.1.3.10.5.7.7

Someone explain to me again why we call it a "....pitot test...."
Do a search of all these regs and no where does the word 'pitot' pop up.
I have never had my inspection include anything to do with the ASI and it is not a requirement, but we all still include the word 'pitot' when referring to this test.
Part 43 App E and F have more details on the tests:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-43.html#14:1.0.1.3.20.0.363.15.48
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-43.html#14:1.0.1.3.20.0.363.15.49

Let'sgoflying! said:
PS does anyone know why it says two of those tests have to be performed at the airport of intended departure, if the test can be performed anytime within 30 days of use??
I think they are trying to say you have to do the test before takeoff on an IFR flight plan. One assumes that if you are no longer at the airport of currently intended departure, you did the test at the airport from which you intend to depart at the time you did the test.

You could do the test at KXYZ in the last 30 days, but it would be invalid for departures from any other airport??
I don't think so. Up to 30 days, the passage of time does not invalidate the check.

Ron Levy said:
I think they are trying to say you have to do the test before takeoff on an IFR flight plan. One assumes that if you are no longer at the airport of currently intended departure, you did the test at the airport from which you intend to depart at the time you did the test.
I don't think so. Up to 30 days, the passage of time does not invalidate the check.

I think they need to change the wording then, because it is not clear (to me)!
I coulda swore you posted about having your asi inspected at the same time, a few years ago Ron.(?)

The ASI is part of the pitot-static system, and gets tested - although it may be indirectly. My p-s system had a leak this last time around and it was the ASI that was causing it.

Ed I can see how a leak in the static part of the asi system can cause an error, but not a problem in the pitot portion of the asi. Probably not worth picking nits over, but I have often wondered how the impact portion of the asi could ever effect a change in an altitude display.

Let'sgoflying! said:
PS does anyone know why it says two of those tests have to be performed at the airport of intended departure,
Because it's hard to do a ground check at the airport of intended arrival?

I think it's just a =very= poorly-worded way of saying that it's a grond check.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ed I can see how a leak in the static part of the asi system can cause an error, but not a problem in the pitot portion of the asi. Probably not worth picking nits over, but I have often wondered how the impact portion of the asi could ever effect a change in an altitude display.

The shop said it was over whatever the allowed threshold was. I dunno, I'm not an avionics shop.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Someone explain to me again why we call it a "....pitot test...."
Do a search of all these regs and no where does the word 'pitot' pop up.
I have never had my inspection include anything to do with the ASI and it is not a requirement, but we all still include the word 'pitot' when referring to this test.

Because the pneumatics assoiciated with your altimeter and airspeed indicator are collectively called the "Pitot-Static" system.

FWIW, the regulation (91.411) makes no reference to "pitot" or "airspeed indicator." It calls for inspection of "each static pressure system, each altimeter instrument, and each automatic pressure altitude reporting system." I may have had my ASI checked in addition to that (the Cougar's ASI read about 7 knots low in cruise), but that was my choice, not a regulation.

Back