22 and discoverd Aviation and wants a career...

Warlock

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Warlock
So my problem and although I have been flying since 14, I need some advice...Although I love Aviation I never had a desire to continue professionally after the military...I was a helicopter guy when pilots were a dime a dozen...and mechanics were making more than pilots.

My youngest 22 has always had a phobia of small places and thus small aircraft...and really not a that bad, but just rather not fly. She had never flown with me. Flying on commercial aircraft is not an issue and since mom works for the airline she travels all the time...She is smart recently graduated with two degrees in International Business and Marketing from European Universities and is also fluent in French and Spanish...

Last week I had to get her and her sister back home from the Caribbean and booked her on a Cape Air Cessna 402 to Puerto Rico were she could hop on a United Flight.

She said the first 10 min was pure hell and the rest she realized it potential...long story short we spent the weekend flying together and she is hooked. She always said she wanted to be an ATP if she could get past that small airplane thing...

She is in the perfect position to try it out. I have three airplanes, an Arrow that I was going to put up for sale in the near future (That's now on hold)...A Warrior 11 with Garmin 530W in leaseback to a club, but more than available, and a Decathlon.

So how would you do it the most efficient way...airplanes are not an issue, but don't want to throw extra money at it...and frankly a little confused with the civilian track on how its done.

So my question is with these resources, what CFI should I look for, and what's the most efficient way to get here to a paying job to build the hours...she also looking for a job if anyone is hiring...

If you want to get it done the quickest, I'd go to a big box school like ATP. You'll pay a lot more but she'll get all her ratings done pretty quickly. It's a good time to get into aviation.

My youngest 22 has always had a phobia of small places and thus small aircraft...and really not a that bad, but just rather not fly. She had never flown with me. Flying on commercial aircraft is not an issue

Haha. That's a strange way around.

I have severe claustrophobia and can't stand commercial flying for this reason - enclosed tube and all that. But a small airplane with large windows doesn't bother me at all - it's like being in a car.

If you want to get it done the quickest, I'd go to a big box school like ATP. You'll pay a lot more but she'll get all her ratings done pretty quickly. It's a good time to get into aviation.

But you'll pay about half as much at a part 61 school and having your own airplanes including an arrow that can be used i assume for instrument and commercial ratings - this will save on airplane rental costs (already sunk costs). So you need a good flight school in your area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also define "Aviation as a Career" since there are many rewarding career paths other than airline pilot.

Do you want quality education for your child, or cheap and fast?

I won't help you with crap training, but if you want to do it right.

Get her PPL and some hours here
http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

Build time up to about 100hrs in one of your planes

IFR with a working IFR pilot, ideally ATP/CFI, I'd imagine the glider club will make for some good connections.

CPL in a single engine sea, multi add on, then CFI.

First job and the ball rolls on

But you'll pay about half as much at a part 61 school and having your own airplanes including an arrow that can be used i assume for instrument and commercial ratings - this will save on airplane rental costs (already sunk costs). So you need a good flight school in your area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I just saw that the OP owns like 10 planes lol.

I'm 21 and working on the same thing. Find a CFI that has the time and is willing to work with her and run with it. I flew 35 hours over the past month.

Back