2100 SMOH 0-300, thoughts?

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
All I know is compressions in the 70's.

Would you trust this Conti for another 100 hours? And then do 100hr inspections until OH needed?

Fix squawks as they come up?

Or just drop 16-30AMUS on an OH.

Airframe clean... 9out of 10 overall new interior. 3 owners NDH

Please discuss

~5100 TT.

How much has it sat over the last few years, that means more than TSMOH. I certainly wouldn’t change it out until you start to get some indicators of it failing. A worn out engine is rarely a catastrophic failure. More likely a gradual loss in performance or
Metal showing up in the filter. Cut the filter at every oil change and start an oil analysis record and keep flying it.

100hrs, with a clean filter cut and test flight, sure.

All depends on the price of the plane, also I think you can OH it for well under 30k, in fact I’d look at STCs to replace the o300

How much has it sat over the last few years, that means more than TSMOH. I certainly wouldn’t change it out until you start to get some indicators of it failing. A worn out engine is rarely a catastrophic failure. More likely a gradual loss in performance or
Metal showing up in the filter. Cut the filter at every oil change and start an oil analysis record and keep flying it.
It seems to have been flying pretty regularly. And pretty well maintained, not (apparently) a trainer.

Back in the day, at my second flight school/FBO a trusted A&P/IA told me pretty much the same thing about older birds with older engines...

That's my thinking too... But I am waiting for some POA derision for thinking such dangerous thoughts!

The sitting thing also is like 90% old wives tale

We ran one to 4400 hours, but in regular flight school service over 5 years. Ours started making metal and we flew it to AR from CA for a swap. It will talk to you when it is time. I love O-300 skyhawks, smooth, dumb, reliable old things.

Would you trust this Conti for another 100 hours? And then do 100hr inspections until OH needed?

Fix squawks as they come up?
Yep, fly it! Don’t OH if it’s not telling you to.

I would trust a 2100 SMOH engine that has been flying regularly and shows none of the typical warning signs (low compression, metal in filter) no less than I would trust an 800 hour SMOH engine, everything else being equal.

- Martin

Sitting thing is a serious question. Lots of rust can build on cam and cylinder walls. Been there done that on a low time engine that didn’t fly regularly. If compressions are good and it’s making full power of fly it another 100 hours

Depends. Is that 2100 hours in the last 5 years, or the last 50?

The single thing that is a warning is oil pressure, the 0-300 is a dead giveaway for the loss of oil pressure.

The single thing that is a warning is oil pressure, the 0-300 is a dead giveaway for the loss of oil pressure.
What sort of oil pressure are we speaking ?
My 0-300 has 1500 hours since Major. Oil pressure runs low green area , not the bottom.

TT on air frame is 9300+ hours . Engine changed from original 0-300 to a 0-300 C along the way.

The sitting thing also is like 90% old wives tale
yea your right, thats why i just spent 25 grand on an overhaul for an engine that sat a couple of years. it had 600 hrs on the overhaul and bad tappets and cam. some times you get lucky but sitting is really bad on an engine lycomings for sure.

You should know more. The oil filter should be cut every oil change, and the element inspected for metal. Also, you should be sennding a sample of the used oil out for analysis. This information can inform a better fly/overhaul decision. -Skip

What sort of oil pressure are we speaking ?
My 0-300 has 1500 hours since Major. Oil pressure runs low green area , not the bottom.

TT on air frame is 9300+ hours . Engine changed from original 0-300 to a 0-300 C along the way.
I would leave it alone, (It is running well). the legal minimum oil pressure is 5 psi, but I like 40-60 PSI better, when the pressure starts to drop it isn't much you can do.

green is good to go.. pay attention some thing changes,, - worry

We ran one to 4400 hours, but in regular flight school service over 5 years. Ours started making metal and we flew it to AR from CA for a swap. It will talk to you when it is time. I love O-300 skyhawks, smooth, dumb, reliable old things.
Yes. We had ours rebuilt at relatively low hours due to corrosion from not being flown (owner lost medical); very little wear at 1,500 hours.

Fly it. In the same boat making a decision on a similar time engine. Compressions good. Borescope analysis good. Oil analysis good. Filter shows no signs of metal. Why overhaul an engine that is running well? If it is maintained properly, flown regularly, inspected often... why spend that money until you need to? Somebody already said - they don't fail all at once. It will tell you when it's ready by showing signs that you can then address (since you are monitoring things closely as you should anyway). YOu could get another 2k hours out of that engine. But, when it starts showing the signs, address it and don't push it.

Quick edit - I know of a 3500 SMOH O-320-H2AD running strong. Same situation - until it shows the signs, why spend that money to fix something that is well maintained and running strong?

Petsonnally I would fly the hec out of it and don't worry about it until the engine starts telling you there is a problem. TBO is meaningless to an individual engine. It's like saying the human life span is 78 years.

yea your right, thats why i just spent 25 grand on an overhaul for an engine that sat a couple of years. it had 600 hrs on the overhaul and bad tappets and cam. some times you get lucky but sitting is really bad on an engine lycomings for sure.

I know of overhauled but not installed engines that people pay top dollar for, they just sit in a crate, yet if it’s on a engine mount now it’s “sitting”

I also know of a 550 that was flown normally for work, low to mid time and had a MAJOR failure

“Sitting” or going off hours per month, its right up there with reading tea leaves IMHO

Sitting is one thing. Ground-running it and putting it back in the hangar is a whole different animal. I wouldn't trust the engine that's had the latter treatment.

Sitting is one thing. Ground-running it and putting it back in the hangar is a whole different animal. I wouldn't trust the engine that's had the latter treatment.
lots of people forget, many cylinders have chrome cylinders, either the ECI or pure chrome. Unless you know, don't draw the wrong conclusions.

I have a C-182/0-470 that gets annulled, oil changed, and run .7 this year. it is the normal for most years.
Who says it is wrong, It is their aircraft, as long that is it airworthy.

I have a C-182/0-470 that gets annulled, oil changed, and run .7 this year. it is the normal for most years.
Who says it is wrong, It is their aircraft, as long that is it airworthy.
Any corrosion?

I know of overhauled but not installed engines that people pay top dollar for, they just sit in a crate, yet if it’s on a engine mount now it’s “sitting”

I also know of a 550 that was flown normally for work, low to mid time and had a MAJOR failure

“Sitting” or going off hours per month, its right up there with reading tea leaves IMHO

25 years ago, I bought an 0360 powered Scout. It had received wing damage while operating on floats. The owner parked it outside for 3 years without touching it. The engine had 420 hours since new. I had my mechanic check compressions on the pre-buy; they were all 77/80 or better. I didn't know about cam corrosion. We repaired the wing, recovered the airplane, and I used it that summer for a fish spotting gig in Alaska; flew it 180 hours in 3 months. I noticed a little engine roughness toward the end of the summer. We did the annual, and the oil screen was full of metal. The engine was toast, I did a full overhaul at 600 hours since new...

But you can also get lucky with prolonged periods of "sitting". Later, a friend flipped his 0360 powered Scout on an Alaska beach, helicoptered it out, and didn't get around to repairing it for 4 years. It sat under a shed roof, in southcentral Alaska, without being started for the whole time. When he began the repairs to make it airworthy, I advised him to carefully look for corrosion on the cam. His mechanic pulled a cylinder and inspected the internals extensively. I guess looked great (it was 900 SMOH). It is flying now, running well.

25 years ago, I bought an 0360 powered Scout. It had received wing damage while operating on floats. The owner parked it outside for 3 years without touching it. The engine had 420 hours since new. I had my mechanic check compressions on the pre-buy; they were all 77/80 or better. I didn't know about cam corrosion. We repaired the wing, recovered the airplane, and I used it that summer for a fish spotting gig in Alaska; flew it 180 hours in 3 months. I noticed a little engine roughness toward the end of the summer. We did the annual, and the oil screen was full of metal. The engine was toast, I did a full overhaul at 600 hours since new...

But you can also get lucky with prolonged periods of "sitting". Later, a friend flipped his 0360 powered Scout on an Alaska beach, helicoptered it out, and didn't get around to repairing it for 4 years. It sat under a shed roof, in southcentral Alaska, without being started for the whole time. When he began the repairs to make it airworthy, I advised him to carefully look for corrosion on the cam. His mechanic pulled a cylinder and inspected the internals extensively. I guess looked great (it was 900 SMOH). It is flying now, running well.

your right, my warrior engine sat for a couple of years in a hanger in north texas, cam and lifters went at 600hrs. my RV engine sat on a stand in another hanger 70 miles away for 3 years. that was 15 years ago and its still running strong. same conditions, same area, one went bad one didn't. but, if its flown regularly the odds are a lot lower that it will eat a cam. not reading tea leaves, sitting lets the oil film go away and that opens it up to corrosion, a little corrosion on the cam and its all over once you start running it again.

I would trust a 2100 SMOH engine that has been flying regularly and shows none of the typical warning signs (low compression, metal in filter) no less than I would trust an 800 hour SMOH engine, everything else being equal. - Martin
I have an O-300 that's @100 hrs past TBO so, vested interest. Low compressions are a sign of cylinder issues, not engine problems by themselves right? I can (and have) replace jugs that have worn rings/low comps so long as there's no metal in the filter from engine parts and oil pressure stays in the green.

I have an O-300 that's @100 hrs past TBO so, vested interest. Low compressions are a sign of cylinder issues, not engine problems by themselves right? I can (and have) replace jugs that have worn rings/low comps so long as there's no metal in the filter from engine parts and oil pressure stays in the green.

The problem is,, when you get the cylinders off, you must to make a decision, based on the wear you can see.
how loose is the rods?
how wide is the wear tracks on the lifters?
how much wear does trust plate have?
can you tell how much of the service limit is left?
can you tell if the crank has already turned?

I see engines all the time that are junk for the lack of a crank, cam, gears, & cases.

when it is running well, leave it alone.

The problem is,, when you get the cylinders off, you must to make a decision, based on the wear you can see.
how loose is the rods?
how wide is the wear tracks on the lifters?
how much wear does trust plate have?
can you tell how much of the service limit is left?
can you tell if the crank has already turned?
I see engines all the time that are junk for the lack of a crank, cam, gears, & cases.
when it is running well, leave it alone.
Thanks Tom! What if it's running well, but you have 1 or 2 cylinders with low comps? That's my point - replace them, inspect the items you call out above (not in that order) and keep on trucking. . .

As long as it is running good Andreas good compressions and is holding good oil pressure, run it until it is making metal. Running Marvel Mystery Oil can help keep the hydraulic units from causing loss of a cylinder in flight.

Thanks Tom! What if it's running well, but you have 1 or 2 cylinders with low comps? That's my point - replace them, inspect the items you call out above (not in that order) and keep on trucking. . .

If it is running good why wouldn't you replace the cylinders? It is not like they get thrown away if you do a rebuild.

A friend just overhauled one of those on his Cessna. The experience did not sound like it was for the faint of heart or wallet.

A friend just overhauled one of those on his Cessna. The experience did not sound like it was for the faint of heart or wallet.
Cheaper than overhauling the whole engine.

Back