210 in flames at PDK

You were the one who decided to "derail" this thread by coming here to make uninformed attacks at me. My post was relevant and factual other than inserting the word sham which you, unfortunately, took as a trigger.

Why would it be easier to get the 210TP conversion into an aft cg, than the piston powered one? Or is there a design flaw allowing the turbine to not be far enough forward as to present the same moment as the piston engine?

The O&N Silver Eagle STC adds a 26 gallon fuselage fuel tank that is located the baggage compartment. When the tank is full, it weighs 181 lbs. The STC states when the tank is full, placing items in the compartment is prohibited, and otherwise any and all combinations of fuel and baggage cannot exceed the 181 lb limit. In the crash that Racerx linked, the pilot had filled the tank and loaded an additional 166 lbs of baggage. The outcome was predictable.

Based on the sequence of the PDK crash, it appears the aft CG limit may have been exceeded.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are insurance requirements regarding flying the plane so many hours and so much with a instructor regarding the turbine add on. Provided he didn’t have previous turbine time.

So far it looks like maybe just the pilot and his LLC's. Not the usual cast of deep pockets that ever had anything to with plane. Wonder how long that'll last. Maybe the pilot's pocket is deep enough they figure why waste time with all the others. This guy can give us the Jackpot on his own. Yeah, I gots this thing about bs litigation.
Or... there wasn't any insurance - which can happen.

The O&N Silver Eagle STC adds a 26 gallon fuselage fuel tank that is located the baggage compartment. When the tank is full, it weighs 181 lbs. The STC states when the tank is full, placing items in the compartment is prohibited, and otherwise any and all combinations of fuel and baggage cannot exceed the 181 lb limit. In the crash that Racerx linked, the pilot had filled the tank and loaded an additional 166 lbs of baggage. The outcome was predictable.

Based on the sequence of the PDK crash, it appears the aft CG limit may have been exceeded.
I See now. Thanx for explaining that.

And Kyle, and Bell206, for more input.

Which begs another question. with the extra room up front, could there be a place for counterweight, to offset some of that? I don't know the empty weight but full gross is between 3800, and 4100 depending on model, and I can't imagine empty to be much over 2000-2500.

Which begs another question. with the extra room up front, could there be a place for counterweight, to offset some of that?
Sure. But unfortunately given the arm of the counterweight vs the aircraft CG/MAC, the weight would excessive or basically the difference between the weight of the original recip and the turbine. Which would affect its usable weight considerably in the big picture.

Just did an inspection on a Silver Eagle, not this one. It had 3 seats and a bench seat in the back. The fuselage fuel tank drains into the mains and it is recommended to drain off the fuselage tank thru the mains first. Also has a small reserve under the feet of the pilot and copilot from the mains, to keep constant flow to the RR engine I think.
Agree with most that he had weight distribution problems.

The Silver Eagle pilot seat I worked on had the rail stop, the inertial reel, and a rod lock that requires the pilot to engage to move the seat. Don’t think the seat moved.

But I also wouldn't be taking passengers or my child after just 2 hours. If that statement is to be believed. Which based on the "2.3 hours since overhaul" I tend to believe.

The statement in the NTSB preliminary report about hours refers to the amount of time since overhaul on the turbine engine when it was installed in the aircraft.

Interesting points in there “2hours experience, aft cg?? How easy is a 210 to get aft cg??
No way he was taking passengers with only 2 hours in the plane right??

Many of the Silver Eagles have a 29.7 gallon fuel tank in the baggage compartment.

Interesting points in there “2hours experience, aft cg?? How easy is a 210 to get aft cg??
No way he was taking passengers with only 2 hours in the plane right??

The lawyers, in their haste to file the wrongful death lawsuit, misread the NTSB preliminary report, as have several posters in this thread. The "2 hours" originated from this:

The six-seat, high-wing, retractable landing gear airplane, serial number P21000133, was manufactured in 1978. It was originally equipped with a reciprocating engine; however, it was converted to a Rolls-Royce 250-B17F/2 turbo shaft 450-horsepower engine, equipped with a five-bladed composite MT propeller. Review of maintenance records revealed that the conversion was completed on July 19, 2021. At that time, the airframe had accumulated about 1,390 total hours and the engine had
accumulated 2.3 hours since overhaul.

The attorneys that filed the wrongful death lawsuit have had no way to ascertain the pilot's flight hours, whether they be total time, time in an unmodified P210, or the Silver Eagle conversion. There's no mention of deposition testimony. They're fishing.

It appears the pilot was qualified to operate the aircraft. However, it should be noted the accident flight was filed VFR. This is an oddity, because the turboprop conversion burns 24 GPH at 12,000', and 19.5 GPH at 23,000'. One would think the pilot would avail himself of the reduced fuel burn, greater endurance, and higher TAS in the flight levels.

The pilot apparently earned his PPL in 2015.

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 6/18/2015

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE
Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

Since the conversion was completed on July 19, 2021, it's highly unlikely the pilot/owner had flown the airplane just two hours since the plane was returned to service. I think all of the hoopla surrounding his time in the plane is fixated on the NTSB preliminary report stating the engine had 2.3 hours TSMOH when installed in the airplane.

The lawyers, in their haste to file the wrongful death lawsuit, misread the NTSB preliminary report, as have several posters in this thread. The "2 hours" originated from this:

The six-seat, high-wing, retractable landing gear airplane, serial number P21000133, was manufactured in 1978. It was originally equipped with a reciprocating engine; however, it was converted to a Rolls-Royce 250-B17F/2 turbo shaft 450-horsepower engine, equipped with a five-bladed composite MT propeller. Review of maintenance records revealed that the conversion was completed on July 19, 2021. At that time, the airframe had accumulated about 1,390 total hours and the engine had
accumulated 2.3 hours since overhaul.

The attorneys that filed the wrongful death lawsuit have had no way to ascertain the pilot's flight hours, whether they be total time, time in an unmodified P210, or the Silver Eagle conversion. There's no mention of deposition testimony. They're fishing.

It appears the pilot was qualified to operate the aircraft. However, it should be noted the accident flight was filed VFR. This is an oddity, because the turboprop conversion burns 24 GPH at 12,000', and 19.5 GPH at 23,000'. One would think the pilot would avail himself of the reduced fuel burn, greater endurance, and higher TAS in the flight levels.

The pilot apparently earned his PPL in 2015.

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 6/18/2015

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE
Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

Since the conversion was completed on July 19, 2021, it's highly unlikely the pilot/owner had flown the airplane just two hours since the plane was returned to service. I think all of the hoopla surrounding his time in the plane is fixated on the NTSB preliminary report stating the engine had 2.3 hours TSMOH when installed in the airplane.

I expect that this pilot got great training with the aircraft conversion. O&N was a top notch company and pretty much rebuilt the 210 completely as part of their modification.

Back