2023 aviation goals

Sit for the IA exam. Finally. Scheduled for mid-January if my FSDO cooperates.

Organize my hangar to be a functional and pleasing place to work, tinker, and goof off instead of being a hoarder's windswept garage.

Get closer to a 1:1 ratio of flying for me and flying for/with others. Last year wasn't even close, was like 20:1 CFI: Personal.

Get MidContinent to sell me one of their fancy 100W PD USB-C charge ports. Maybe two. They made me register an account to buy. They have sent me 10 pounds of shiny flyers and swag boxes and nonsense about unrelated products. Still can't order the !@#$ USB ports.

And the standing aviation resolution: continue not dying at the hands of my favorite hobby. :D :fcross:

2023 Goals
1) Maintain current (2022) OpEx budget
1b) build some capital for a purchase
2) GA International trip (Bahamas, Canada, etc)
3) More XC trip hours than ‘22

Stretch goals
- West Coast!
- Buy a plane!

I have modest goals. Next year it’s no out of town mechanical issues. Two biggies this year.

Set 2024 goals
Why put off to tomorrow that which you can put off indefinitely?

I think my aviation goal for the year is to finally get the wheel pants and gear leg fairings on my RV, take pictures for my story to submit to Sport Aviation, and maybe even get it scheduled for paint. Same as 2022. To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, why rewrite it when I can just make a copy?

After a review of last year's goals...I want to fly 160 hours in 2023, which will put me over 700, and knock out the last three airports on my illinois completion list. I also intend to continue my streak of never falling out of instrument currency/proficiency, and do an IPC anyway to make sure I'm as competent as I think I am.

Harder goals would be spend less than $5k on maintenance and upgrades and fly 6 "lifeline pilots" flights.

Stretch goals.... let's go with 12 lifeline flights and making tangible progress towards the commercial rating.

I don't really set aviation goals. It's a pure hobby for me. I have so many goals for my business, me personally, my family, etc. I actually like the fact that there is no pressure or goals when it comes to flying other than being safe, having fun and not having to spend a ton on unplanned maintenance. I logged 145 hours in 2022 without having set that goal. If I fly as much next year, great. If I'll be closer to 100 as in previous years, that's cool with me as well. I might continue my instrument training. I might start my multi engine training. I might buy or build a hangar. Who knows? When it comes to flying, I want to keep it as pressure free as possible.

1) Get my commercial ASEL before my written test expires.
2) fly in actually IMC more often
3) get used to flying in the 3rd person. (Drones)

2023 Goals

1) Attend more aviation social events/fly-ins
2) Get my CFI
3) Get to OSH this year!
4) Continue growing the two podcasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A top overhaul combined with pending semi-retirement has me counting the cost. My 2023 goal is to love the flying more than I hate the spending.

A second goal is to camp with the airplane in the middle of nowhere at least twice.

Get our move from MD to NH done in March and start flying with my new club

Fly more than the 75 hours I flew this last year

Go back to Oshkosh

1) Fly more (or at least enough to get the engine oil to turn from golden to amber at a minimum.)
2) Go to places outside the LA and San Diego areas so I can have a nifty map with actual color in my signature too.;)

2023 Goals
1) Maintain current (2022) OpEx budget
1b) build some capital for a purchase
2) GA International trip (Bahamas, Canada, etc)
3) More XC trip hours than ‘22

Stretch goals
- West Coast!
- Buy a plane!

Did you get your multi yet?

2023 goals

1) multi-engine rating
2) fly a jet
3) high altitude endorsement (thinking C421)
4) complete the annual inspection without a heart attack
5) ponder about the CFI ticket or seaplane rating
6) new destinations, a couple of them would be nice, Colorado, Tahoe, Cali, Alaska, Grand Canyon, Toronto, revisit GA/FL again (enjoyed that before)
7) hit 500 hours
8) complete a paid one off gig, ferrying an airplane or something
9) not get banned from PofA

Did you get your multi yet?
Yes, finally got it last Monday after 3 tries!

2023 goals

1) multi-engine rating
2) fly a jet
3) high altitude endorsement (thinking C421)
4) complete the annual inspection without a heart attack
5) ponder about the CFI ticket or seaplane rating
6) new destinations, a couple of them would be nice, Colorado, Tahoe, Cali, Alaska, Grand Canyon, Toronto, revisit GA/FL again (enjoyed that before)
7) hit 500 hours
8) complete a paid one off gig, ferrying an airplane or something
9) not get banned from PofA
#9 should be a default for everyone.

Hmm. I’m thinking about buying a 2x 10hr blocks in a local-ish M20J to see if I like it. The owner will let me use it with a Mooney PPP instructor and that would count for insurance checkout.

Congrats on the multi!! I scheduled something for next year, let’s see how the weather plays out.

See my 2017, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22 goals. IFR add on.

Hmm. I’m thinking about buying a 2x 10hr blocks in a local-ish M20J to see if I like it. The owner will let me use it with a Mooney PPP instructor and that would count for insurance checkout.

How does that work insurance wise?

Stay anonymous with the chief pilot’s office, so that at his retirement party you have to introduce yourself to the Chief Pilot.

Must be a big company if you’re still flying under the radar. Unfortunately mine knows my name. :(

After a review of last year's goals...I want to fly 160 hours in 2023, which will put me over 700, and knock out the last three airports on my illinois completion list. I also intend to continue my streak of never falling out of instrument currency/proficiency, and do an IPC anyway to make sure I'm as competent as I think I am.

Harder goals would be spend less than $5k on maintenance and upgrades and fly 6 "lifeline pilots" flights.

Stretch goals.... let's go with 12 lifeline flights and making tangible progress towards the commercial rating.
No AOG's! You've had enough.

Personally, get my instrument.
Attend a Midwest breakfast/Lunch

Last edited:
I've lined up two partners for a possible 182 purchase late in the year.

That may cost a LOT more, if your typical mission is the right fit. :D

Back