2021 PoA Site Operations & Improvements Fundraiser!

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
As some of you know, Pilots of America periodically runs a fundraiser to gather donations to support the upkeep of the site and the expenses that come along with it. We are now going to open up a fundraising period again and we would like to kindly ask that you consider donating to help fund the operation of Pilots of America.

As a little background, Pilots of America is a nonprofit organization. We are not a 501(c)3, but rather a state registered nonprofit. As such, none of us (moderators and technical administrators) receive any money for the work done with the site. It costs us a few hundred dollars per month for the AWS resources necessary to keep the site running and backed up. Plus, we have to pay for domain registration, software/plugin updates for necessary and requested features, etc., so the fee’s add up.

We would like to, once again, raise enough money to keep everything running for a couple years, as well as make some exciting new improvements to the site, but to do this, we need YOUR help!

As a token of appreciation for your generosity, you will receive a fancy ‘PoA Supporter’ badge next to your name like mine. If you already have one, than making a donation will extend the time effectiveness of it and further your commitment to keep PoA alive and well!

Our end goal, as always, is to make Pilots of America a great resource for pilots (and aviation enthusiasts in general) for generations to come, and by making a donation, you’re helping to ensure that becomes a reality!

If you'd like to donate an amount more (or less) than those listed, feel free to send me a PM and I’ll be happy to work with you. You can also purchase more than one of the levels, if you desire!

The donation options can be found here - https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/account/upgrades

Thank you! :)

Ryan - On behalf of the Management Council

...Uh, there's no "purchase" button to buy the 2 year ($100) PoA Supporter.

Also, how about an option to buy four 6 month ($20) upgrades for $80 instead of two years for $100? ;)

OK, you have not banned me yet.
So, I'll take the bait.
Keep up the good work.

aea8733c2880df6e59fc2a7283d6aadb--goodies-math.jpg

I have food cans. Where do I donate the food cans*?

*teeheehee, I said ‘cans’

...Uh, there's no "purchase" button to buy the 2 year ($100) PoA Supporter.

Also, how about an option to buy four 6 month ($20) upgrades for $80 instead of two years for $100? ;)
Please see PM :)

Why does it cost so much? How much RAM, CPU, and throughput do you need?

Why does it cost so much?
I wish I had a good reason as to why companies set their pricing how they do. Unfortunately, they’re fixed costs that we have no control over. We have to pay for AWS to keep the site running and backed up.We also have to pay for the registration of the domain, various software/plugins and add-on’s for necessary and requested features etc. I wish we could get off for less money, but in order to keep the user experience the same, we don’t have much of a choice!

I wish I had a good reason as to why companies set their pricing how they do. Unfortunately, they’re fixed costs that we have no control over. We have to pay for AWS to keep the site running and backed up.We also have to pay for the registration of the domain, various software/plugins and add-on’s for necessary and requested features etc. I wish we could get off for less money, but in order to keep the user experience the same, we don’t have much of a choice!

I believe that you realize I wasn't asking "why does Amazon set their price to that number," which would be more obvious if you hadn't cut out part of my post when you quoted it. If I said my cell phone cost $700/mo, and you asked why, I wouldn't say "I wish I knew why my cell provider set it to that price."

I believe that you realize I wasn't asking "why does Amazon set their price to that number," which would be more obvious if you hadn't cut out part of my post when you quoted it. If I said my cell phone cost $700/mo, and you asked why, I wouldn't say "I wish I knew why my cell provider set it to that price."
Understood, just trying to explain what the various fees associated with the site are. Thanks for the question. :)

Understood, just trying to explain what the various fees associated with the site are. Thanks for the question. :)

I did forget that you had to pay for the Xenforo license, which unfortunately appears to be a recurring subscription-style cost, so your explanation did not go to waste. Thanks.

You and me both. Next week was supposed to be my turn with the Tesla.

no wonder there is a dire need for more... imagine having to share a Telsa.

Oh the horror!

The humanity!

No. I tried that the first time I donated. Unappreciative ruling class here at POA.
We appreciate all of you and the support you've given to the site, let that not go unrecognized. We know it's not perfect, but we certainly give it our best at making sure everyone is happy and has a fun place to come chat with your friends in between flights or during slow times at the office. We certainly couldn't do it without everyone's support!

As Butch said to Sundance, “Who ARE those guys???”

Cheers

We appreciate all of you and the support you've given to the site, let that not go unrecognized. We know it's not perfect, but we certainly give it our best at making sure everyone is happy and has a fun place to come chat with your friends in between flights or during slow times at the office. We certainly couldn't do it without everyone's support!
I’ll send you a list of the people I want to harass and you let me know how much…

that would be sooooo much fun.
:biggrin::devil:

Signed up.
Note to Mod, are you limiting the maximum someone can give? Is there not a custom option? Just sayin...

Note to Mod, are you limiting the maximum someone can give? Is there not a custom option? Just sayin...
No. You can purchase multiple tiers or I can provide you a donation link and you can donate the amount of your choosing.

Thanks!

Is the link working for others? Mine times out.

Back