2020 or 2021? Opinions requested...

Keep 2020 or move on?

• Keep it. It wasn't that bad.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • If we ever needed a new year, its right now! Let's go 2021!

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Let's go back to the 80's.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Let's go back to the 90's

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I don't care. Its just a measure of time. Nothing important.

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
2021 is coming up soon.

Do we keep 2020 or should we pack up 2020 and move on to 2021?

I don't see 2021 shaping up to be any better. I'd like to hibernate until circa 2025.

I frequently travel to 2021. It's not much better.

Depends. :D

If vaccines come out it will be much better. If not, not so much.

Wayne

Banhammer expected in 3....2....1...

2021 can’t be any worse than 2020, or can it.

I'm not an epidemiologist (though I sometimes have the privilege to work with them), and not a medical historian. With those important caveats, big epidemics or pandemics seem to last about two years. That means that things should be noticeably improving by next summer, and by 2022 we'll be planning proper summer vacations again (maybe not at the same pace we were in 2019).

But that said, don't reject 2020. For all the sh*t this year, most of you have probably had bright spots that you'll remember. For me, it was my adult kids moving back in with us for a few months, and getting that extra time with them we never thought we'd have. Also, being unable to plan big cross-country flights, I've (re)discovered the joy of local VFR flying, low and slow, following rivers, roads, and powerlines. I hope that joy stays with me when I'm back to watching weather systems and figuring out how much fuel I'll need for alternates if X, Y, or Z happens.

2021 can’t be any worse than 2020, or can it.
It depends on which part. The disease is starting to hit less-populous areas harder now, and Christmas is going to be full of superspreader gatherings, so January and February 2021 will probably be pretty awful—maybe the crest of the pandemic. I'm hoping that will be the peak though (based on no special expertise or professional qualifications), and that for the rest of 2021, we'll be initially cautiously, then enthusiastically optimistic as we see things steadily improving, so by the end it might feel like it's been a good year after all.

Come on, it was supposed to be less than 25,000 people total according to the early POA polls..... maybe the “fake news” is getting it wrong. I trust POA.

But 2020 did one good thing. It showed everyone how bad their breath is. At first on some days I thought it must be a dirty mask, then realized that I just put on a brand new one 2 minutes ago.....

The planet seems to have gone insane around me, but I’m still enjoying life. It’s been a pretty good year if I ignore the rest of the worlds craziness.

On a serious note, the company that work for, we go by what our data scientists say. Not any of the 3 letter organizations, and it is not looking good.

ND was marked as a red zone long in our prediction model long before it turned into a hot zone. If I have to go by that model, earliest there is some hope for sunshine is mid 2021 , and that’s a VERY optimistic outlook. We still don’t know whatever vaccine is in the making will have any positive impact or when it will have a positive impact.

Just talking about the virus, not the associated or any other political craziness.

Too many losses, the damned virus was just an annoyance for me
Yeah, most of us have been lucky so far. But I was just hearing from a pilot in another forum that he recently lost his long-time best friend and aircraft partner to COVID-19, so it's inching closer to many of us. As I mentioned earlier, I think the next 4 months or so will be the worst, before we (hopefully) start a slow improvement. :(

The big question to me is what will the people who run the society I have to operate in when I leave the woods do? That worries me more than any viral concerns.

Let’s go to 2023 and the new LSA rules with increased weights

On January 31 2019 I told my wife that the new year is going to be very good to us.....

Boy was I ever wrong.

Back