2020 Cirrus SR22 Reports back to mother ship

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
Interesting development for new Cirrus aircraft. Data recording enters a new realm for GA single engine as airplane reports engine AND flight data back to Cirrus. Watch the video for details. Good thing or maybe not, I'm on the fence.

What happens if your plane is new and you operate engine out of accepted parameters? Void warranty? Too big brother!

Cirrus is trying to be like a large jet OEM, Gulfstream, Falcon, etc. If you have a major repair done with a non-Cirrus approved shop(DER dispo, good composite guy), you’re dead to them if you need any support down the road, so if the FAA/NTSB is aware of an incident, they are aware. Their approved shops can only go to their engineering for repairs (logically), and they keep their IP locked up so any outside DER would need to go to them anyway. This seems like their logical next step. The issue is on the piston side is that there are like 2 engineers in the company supporting the whole fleet, so you’re talking about months before you get some support.

Luigi may not be too far from the truth.

"If you get more than 3/4 deflection on the glide slope or localizer the airplane warns you."

"Let's say you're coming in, you aren't stabilizing your approaches, the airplane is going to rat you out."

"If you're regularly too high on the glide slope or not holding the localizer the airplane will be coaching you down and if there's really an issue can even report back to your CSIP saying 'Call up Larry because he needs some help on his IFR proficiency.' "

Maybe we can all chip in and get Jerry a 2020 Cirrus G6. :)

"If you get more than 3/4 deflection on the glide slope or localizer the airplane warns you."

"Let's say you're coming in, you aren't stabilizing your approaches, the airplane is going to rat you out."

"If you're regularly too high on the glide slope or not holding the localizer the airplane will be coaching you down and if there's really an issue can even report back to your CSIP saying 'Call up Larry because he needs some help on his IFR proficiency.' "

Maybe we can all chip in and get Jerry a 2020 Cirrus G6. :)

Even the older ones will stop him from doing those 70 degree turns to final.

Well, considering how often they get sued after crashes, if I were them I'd want all that flight data too. Might actually make some pilots safer...

As a pilot, that is a bit "big brother". But if they meet me halfway and do engine trend monitoring for free, I'd probably still do it.

Interesting development for new Cirrus aircraft. Data recording enters a new realm for GA single engine as airplane reports engine AND flight data back to Cirrus... Good thing or maybe not...

Well, if one of them ever goes missing over the Indian Ocean maybe they'll be able to find it?

Back