2019 RAM 1500

not to be too crass, but i describe the 6.4 as the result of "hate coupling" between intertrashional and ford.

that said, it's a POWERFUL motor, and you can remove some of the risks with frequent oil and filter changes, and a delete.

I've heard the studs ont he 6.4 is actually good, unless you've really cranked the power up. sub 13 second 1/4 mile is possible for $2,200 worth of work. it's an easily tunable engine.

i'm going to tune for reliability though, not for too much more power

not to be too crass, but i describe the 6.4 as the result of "hate coupling" between intertrashional and ford.

that said, it's a POWERFUL motor, and you can remove some of the risks with frequent oil and filter changes, and a delete.

I've heard the studs ont he 6.4 is actually good, unless you've really cranked the power up. sub 13 second 1/4 mile is possible for $2,200 worth of work. it's an easily tunable engine.

i'm going to tune for reliability though, not for too much more power

Yeah, I believe the main fault on the 6.4L from my understanding was with the DPF clogging (all mfgs had that problem) and the EGR getting plugged up. Fuel wash/oil dilution was common, but easily combated by being on top of oil/fluid changes. Watch for the water separator clogging. Other than that, I think the engine was pretty strong, albeit not the most fuel efficient. Never heard about any head bolt issues with the 6.4L. If you can delete the DPF/EGR/CAT then that eliminates most of the headache items. Don't let the coolant get low or the water pump cavitation can become an issue.

6.7L is a much better engine, but that doesn't necessarily mean the 6.4L is bad.

Last edited:
Around 2008 was the time when I came of the opinion that I didn't want a new diesel from any manufacturer with all the issues that the emissions equipment seemed to be causing. The DPFs I recall as being the primary issue. I remember some delivery guys coming in brand new Mitsubishi Fuso around that time, and they had to pull the truck over to let it do a regen every 50 miles or so. I'm sure the deletes, etc. by now have solved a lot of those teething pains that existed back then. Although I thought that about the 6.0 and it still didn't work out well for me.

Around 2008 was the time when I came of the opinion that I didn't want a new diesel from any manufacturer with all the issues that the emissions equipment seemed to be causing. The DPFs I recall as being the primary issue. I remember some delivery guys coming in brand new Mitsubishi Fuso around that time, and they had to pull the truck over to let it do a regen every 50 miles or so. I'm sure the deletes, etc. by now have solved a lot of those teething pains that existed back then. Although I thought that about the 6.0 and it still didn't work out well for me.
Yup, DPFs, low fuel mileage and excessive regens were a plague for all of the light-duty diesel trucks. The 6.4L even had an issue with flames shooting out of the exhaust on early models that had to be corrected; had something to do with excessive EGT's during regens. Deleting the DPF/CAT stuff, then blocking off the EGR is the recommended route for any Ford/Dodge/GM diesel. They still recommend doing it on the new models after you're out of the factory warranty period.

Yup, DPFs, low fuel mileage and excessive regens were a plague for all of the light-duty diesel trucks. The 6.4L even had an issue with flames shooting out of the exhaust on early models that had to be corrected; had something to do with excessive EGT's during regens. Deleting the DPF/CAT stuff, then blocking off the EGR is the recommended route for any Ford/Dodge/GM diesel. They still recommend doing it on the new models after you're out of the factory warranty period.

I remember that, and also the fact that the 6.4 barely got better mileage than its gasser equivalents (although that delta increased more depending on what you towed). When the 6.4 first came out one of my friends sent me video of one shooting flames out of the exhaust.

That said, I think they've gotten the emissions figured out a lot better over the past 10 years. There are still some problems that you hear/read about, but nothing like what you saw when those 2008 models were first released. I still expect to delete those bits once the warranty period is up, but I've got until 100k miles before that happens (or 5 years from purchase - at the current rate it looks like they'll time about the same).

I remember my dad had an army green Chrysler with a push button similar to the one pictured.

PushButtons.jpg

Beat me to it! I was gonna post similar (but I guess I am anyway). Nate would've hated the push button on Chrysler products. In-laws had a 60-something, maybe 70s, Dodge station wagon with that. Theirs was similar to this:

5bd7013d9f207893140cacd77568d339.jpg

Last edited:
I think I've shared this here before...

I used to buy Chrysler products at employee discount and it was too good of a deal to pass up. I owned probably a dozen over the years. Jeeps, Dodge & Chrysler cars, Dodge pickups, etc. first one was in the 80's, last one was an '08 3/4 tin Cummins turbo diesel (the biggest POS of them all!)

Two words: Never again.

Never had so many problems with vehicles as I did with all of those. And when I say all...I really do mean ALL. With one exception. A 1990 square body Cherokee with the 4.0 straight six. That was the only realitivwly trouble free crystler product that I ever owned.

I finally quit buying them and went on to other far more reliable products even though I could still get the discount. It just wasn't worth the hassle. I seldom owned one beyond the warranty period but repeatedly taking it in and being without a vehicle got old.

I think I've shared this here before...

I used to buy Chrysler products at employee discount and it was too good of a deal to pass up. I owned probably a dozen over the years. Jeeps, Dodge & Chrysler cars, Dodge pickups, etc. first one was in the 80's, last one was an '08 3/4 tin Cummins turbo diesel (the biggest POS of them all!)

Two words: Never again.

Never had so many problems with vehicles as I did with all of those. And when I say all...I really do mean ALL. With one exception. A 1990 square body Cherokee with the 4.0 straight six. That was the only realitivwly trouble free crystler product that I ever owned.

I finally quit buying them and went on to other far more reliable products even though I could still get the discount. It just wasn't worth the hassle. I seldom owned one beyond the warranty period but repeatedly taking it in and being without a vehicle got old.

I wouldn't buy a 1/2-ton Ram. Would only buy the diesel. '08... you got what was probably the worst year of them all with all the emissions system junk that was going on in that time.

Some of the newer Chrysler products are a lot nicer, although who knows if the quality is any better. I was thinking (mostly jokingly) about trying to pick up an early Viper, but then realized it's an early 90s Chrysler with the interior and build quality that goes along with that, and changed my mind.

it's an early 90s Chrysler with the interior and build quality that goes along with that, and changed my mind.

What could you possibly mean!?!?

It was Fine Corinthian leather afterall!

(Just ask Ricardo)

Reactions: Ted
What could you possibly mean!?!?

It was Fine Corinthian leather afterall!

(Just ask Ricardo)

Original Vipers has the same key as a same year Dodge Caravan.

And that was an ugly key.

THIS is my favorite truck:
The AM General M35A2
6-wheel drive, turbo-charged Continental multi-fuel Diesel V-6, 2-speed transfer case, 5-speed manual transmission, on-board compressor, rag top, fold-down front windows, and a winch. It has classic lines, will carry anything you need, can drive up the side of a silo, you can clean the interior with a fire hose (check!), and trust me, people will get out of your way.

Not great on gas though...

When I was stationed in Korea, it was my "Drive around Base" vehicle.

M35A2_with_winch.jpg

Most new trucks a a bit too fancy for my taste. It's like running through mud in a tuxedo.

The AM General M35A2
6-wheel drive, turbo-charged Continental multi-fuel Diesel V-6, 2-speed transfer case, 5-speed manual transmission, on-board compressor, rag top, fold-down front windows, and a winch. It has classic lines, will carry anything you need, can drive up the side of a silo, you can clean the interior with a fire hose (check!), and trust me, people will get out of your way.

M35A2_with_winch.jpg

Yup. I used to "borrow" one of Red Horse's M35s to drive to the main gate by Chico Vil at Osan. Worked good until a Red Horse Captain asked me WTF was I doing...

The AM General M35A2

M35A2_with_winch.jpg

Most new trucks a a bit too fancy for my taste. It's like running through mud in a tuxedo.
My father had the opportunity to buy one of these about 2 years ago for $600...ran good, needed new batteries and I'm not sure what condition the air lines were in but it was drive-able...The guy had two and just wanted to get rid of them(they weren't in great shape but definitely worth your time if you know what your doing). Tried to get him to buy it but to no avail...Would've loved to have it just to drive around town. Maybe one day. :D

Back